PROBLEM WITH TEJON TODAY...

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt that there's any company that hasn't had some of their machines sent back with problems. In fact, over the years I've been prowling forums, I seen numerous complaints about Minelabs and Minelab service being lacking, so IMHO atomicscott is standing on pretty loose high ground.
luvsdux

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that there's any company that hasn't had some of their machines sent back with problems. In fact, over the years I've been prowling forums, I seen numerous complaints about Minelabs and Minelab service being lacking, so IMHO atomicscott is standing on pretty loose high ground. luvsdux
Maybe, but it seems that I have seen more posts about the Outlaw being returned in the last 6 months than any other single model from any other brand. Some more than once. Maybe I was hallucinating, who knows? I do hope I never need to use Minelab's service, but I heard they are getting better at it!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
***scott - you don't remember all the AT pro problems a while back when they first came out?
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe, but it seems that I have seen more posts about the Outlaw being returned in the last 6 months than any other single model from any other brand. Some more than once. Maybe I was hallucinating, who knows? I do hope I never need to use Minelab's service, but I heard they are getting better at it!

Seriously? Now you are just embarrassing yourself Scott. You are obviously "hallucinating," or as most of us call it, just making stuff up. :hello:

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok bro, I tried to help you, but you go ahead & just keep wasting money on those beep and digs. I can only PERSONALLY speak about the Vaquero from my experience, but I've read about many other T's being sent back for repair. If you spent $450 on a detector and realized your $200 detector found more stuff in the same spots, you would be pissed too! You have no idea what you are missing. If you could ever make up your mind and actually BUY an X-Terra, I'm sure you will agree with me and your 'other' detectors will probably be collecting dust. Either progress or get left behind. Oh, actually I have plenty to do, I'm going detecting today at an old home site, since it's 75 degrees and sunny here today. Since you have no idea how much better a detector could be, keep spinning your knobs & waving your Tesoro banner with pride. While you are busy trying to figure out what's in the ground, I will already be on the next target! HH

I had a Minelab 705 Gold. It wouldn't hit on anything smaller than a 1/2 gram of gold and that was really rare! I couldn't sell it fast enough.

I'll stick with my Fisher GB Pro, Tesoro Lobo ST or my DEUS. Those dawgs can hunt!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? Now you are just embarrassing yourself Scott. You are obviously "hallucinating," or as most of us call it, just making stuff up. :hello:
Why not just do a seach here for Outlaw? You can prove me wrong then. I guess I can do it and prove you wrong if needed. Lets just add a knob and a feature in the same old, dated analog control box and call it an Outlaw! Bam new model, Haha. Just checked, only found 3 Outlaws with probs on this site so far. I believe it may be the "other big forum" that had many more posts. I have seen you post many times there so I know you know what I am talking about! "I love to surround myself with people who agree with me, then I'm never wrong". Sound familiar Terry?

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
okay , I'm still having problems with my Tejon. It is not in the coil or cable because I have two coils and cables from another detector. My Tejon will not ground balance. It works quite well in the silent search mode but there is NO SWEET SPOT on the ground balance. It is either hot or null. No in between. The machine works great and I can ground balance it but not that last little adjustment to where it is perfect. So I am either running it in slightly positive ground balance or a slightly negative , null balance. Also the threshold is a little sketchy. I can't get a threshold that I like. I'm kinda wondering is this how they are. I mean it works and all but you cant hunt in all metal at all. and yes I have the gain cut back. Has anyone else heard of this ? Another thing , I bought a sniper coil and it is more stable. I really love this detector. I can see how perfect it is going to be civil war relic hunting. Also , screw all those machines that sound like a slide whistle. I dont need that. I want my Tejon working proper.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 3 Tejons over the years. The threshold is "raspy". You will never get a smooth tone like some other manufacturers have. However, the raspier the tone is, the deeper the machine is (so I've read, but can't definitively say that's true). As for the ground balance, it's touchy for sure. The Vaquero ground balances much easier than the Tejon. I always ended up just slightly positive, and this worked well for me.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE

Man!
I have not checked this post in awhile, It now seems to have turned into a "Soap Opera".
Oh well a fun read indeed.
For what it's worth.
I also own a older Whites Spectrum XLT that has served me well over the years [ tho it still likes to chirp ,when the loop strikes a tree ,rock or fallen limbs. ] this is something about the tejon I really like, cause it did not do that, all my Whites machines seem to have had that same trait.
Minelab machines are too much DOLLAR (for the kind I want) at this time of many other wants/needs .Like A Quality Safe or A high end AK-47 or Dependable AR-15 & I,m always in need of another Pistol.
Ill save the Gun Talk for another site.

Roaddust66
My tejon has /had 'hopefully" all the symptoms your machine does , except it would ground balance
UNTIL my Father & I took the plug apart then stripped and re-soldered all the wires in the plug.
After that was done the machine was still chirpy but not as much .Now I could not get a stable tone to ground balance the machine....So I sent it off

On friday the 7th of March The Tesoro tech called me and said my coil was bad ,I asked what caused it ,then he mentioned Dad working on it and asked did he mess with the connection where thr coil wire goes into the coil and I said no. He paused and said I don't Know but it seems the innards of the coil are bad.:BangHead: Rusty I think was his name & He was a very nice guy. as were all the people I spoke with at the Company.
Since I was not the original owner I chose to buy another coil (at a discounted price).
It hopefully shipped out on Monday the 10th ,So i,m waiting for it now & will let you/everyone know how it works.
Good Luck
Davers...........:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 3 Tejons over the years. The threshold is "raspy". You will never get a smooth tone like some other manufacturers have. However, the raspier the tone is, the deeper the machine is (so I've read, but can't definitively say that's true). As for the ground balance, it's touchy for sure. The Vaquero ground balances much easier than the Tejon. I always ended up just slightly positive, and this worked well for me.

This has been my experience as well.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought one white's brand new and many used in good shape never had to send them in...
the only white's i sent in were the one's that were
for parts only
and they come back fast and as good as new thanks white's for being the best on the market ....

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may be some day all pick up a tesoro just to hang on the wall

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The threshold is not smooth at all. Actually I'm hearing it first as faint and too faint and weak to use , then it goes from faint to being too loud and high. I am not going to give up on this machine. I like all of the features too much. And on the topic of all metal hunting , Ive had detectors in the past where it was better to hold the coil off the ground an inch or so instead of scrubbing the ground. I bought it used from a Tesoro dealer used. No warranty. This guy calls himself a metal detector dealer and he refuses to offer any help because it bench test just fine. I explained to him it was the ground balance. He has no test bed. How can you be a dealer and have no test bed ? I guess I will send it to them. I bought a used Vaquero just to have because I knew this Tejon is not right and was probably gonna have to go in for a re adjust and it is hunting season here ! The Vaquero is smooth as glass.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may be some day all pick up a tesoro just to hang on the wall
Man it really sucks having a detector sitting in another state being repaired, due to no fault of your own. The 2 weeks I waited to get my V back seemed like forever. Especially here where there is no 'winter' season for detecting.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No winter? I'm jealous. We just got 7" more snow yesterday!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No winter? I'm jealous. We just got 7" more snow yesterday!
Sorry to hear that Dan! Actually no winter is not exactly accurate, we have maybe 2-3 weeks that it's too cold (40 is cold to us, lol), windy or rainy to swing.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The threshold is not smooth at all. Actually I'm hearing it first as faint and too faint and weak to use , then it goes from faint to being too loud and high. I am not going to give up on this machine. I like all of the features too much. And on the topic of all metal hunting , Ive had detectors in the past where it was better to hold the coil off the ground an inch or so instead of scrubbing the ground. I bought it used from a Tesoro dealer used. No warranty. This guy calls himself a metal detector dealer and he refuses to offer any help because it bench test just fine. I explained to him it was the ground balance. He has no test bed. How can you be a dealer and have no test bed ? I guess I will send it to them. I bought a used Vaquero just to have because I knew this Tejon is not right and was probably gonna have to go in for a re adjust and it is hunting season here ! The Vaquero is smooth as glass.

Roaddust66
At least we have other machines to keep the habit going while our Tejons are sick.
My Tejon was used as well tho I thought it was 2X used ( My good friend the original owner, CURSED my stupidity for not sending it in under his name). Assumptions!!
My tejon would Threshold before we worked on the coil plug but acted just as you describe after we put it back together.
It would not give me a smooth threshold at all!
Sounds like your so called Dealer is not a good guy. Do you care to name the Dealer So I or no one else will be ripped by him.
Good luck Davers

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you get yours back , give us a report. I'm hoping they can get mine running smooth because I really like the features of the Tejon.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will Do : Tho it may take a couple long hunts to see if it's truly fixed.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread