KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
I am considering buying a Compadre very soon as my backup and coinshooting machine. But, I need your expert advice, and have a couple questions.
Will trash like screwcaps, square tabs, and bottlecaps discriminate out at all? Or do they ring up as coins too? I cant physically dig as much junk as I see guys doing in most Compadre videos....
If I just want to coinshoot, and not dig tons of trash, can I be reasonably confident that most solid beeps will be coins if using a high disc setting?

I really want to join the church of the compadre bad, any and all advice for a coinshooter is appreciated...:icon_thumleft:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spoke with my resident Compadre expert, and she says put it past " pulltab " and you will eliminate most ,but say good by to Nickels, put it past penny and you WILL say good bye to most all tabs and screw caps, put it to max then back it off just a nick and you will be good to go on dimes , quarters and a few pennys. She said that you miss out on a lot of good stuff, like gold items.
If you want coins check out the " coins and Outlaw " thread. I can out pick her any day of the week when comes to just coins! Set the Outlaw to max and then rake them in!

OP
OP
KennyD

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Thanks very much for the reply Hobojoe. Oh, and thank the Mrs. too! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
KennyD

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Dirtynails :thumbsup:

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm just in the mood for coins I set it to the 1 cent mark and most solid signals will be a coin with the caveat that if the signal is super strong (I can lift the coil up a foot and still get a signal) it usually is big iron or junk. The things that usually fool me is circular metal (can bottom, poweraid foil top, etc) but for the most part it is just quarter, dimes, and pennies.

OP
OP
KennyD

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your help everyone. Im sold. Ordering my Compadre now!:icon_thumright:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Silver Umax and run the disc setting exactly like Talondale said. He is spot on with what he said.

What size coil did you order it with?

OP
OP
KennyD

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going with the 8" coil.

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to...I just found one thats only 2 months old,He bought it for his kids and they showed no interest,..
Kenny Im sorry I kind of butted in on your post...Maybe some others will chime in on some more
about this little detector....8'' coil also..
Can these detectors be modded any kind of way? Like a pinpoint button>?thought I saw a post about someone
doing this and adjusting the pot to give it a little more depth?

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me to...I just found one thats only 2 months old,He bought it for his kids and they showed no interest,..
Kenny Im sorry I kind of butted in on your post...Maybe some others will chime in on some more
about this little detector....8'' coil also..
Can these detectors be modded any kind of way? Like a pinpoint button>?thought I saw a post about someone
doing this and adjusting the pot to give it a little more depth?

OP
OP
KennyD

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've decided to save up for a Cibola. From all the research I've done, it seems to be a Compadre on steroids! Can't wait!!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've decided to save up for a Cibola. From all the research I've done, it seems to be a Compadre on steroids! Can't wait!!
Better choice. I have a 8" Compadre and it can be completley useless in certain areas where emi affects it. With the Cibola you get sens adjustment so it's much better suited!
Good luck.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The Compadre can be modded easily by slightly turning the screw on the sensitivity pot inside the unit counter clockwise to just below the chatter point to gain depth...maybe 1-2 inches in most cases.
There are 3 pots on the board so you have to know which one to adjust.
The other 2 are the disc and the Ground balance and should be left alone because you can really screw up the detector if you mess up either one of these.

The sense pot is very fragile and can be broken easily so it is not recommended this be done unless you are very careful and confident about your skills.
Mark the starting position with something so it can be returned to factory specs if necessary.

The Cibola is great, I have a Vaq, but there are still a few things the Compadre can do that neither of these can, or most other detectors either, no matter what coils are being used.
Chief among them is by swinging at the right speed next to big metal the Compadre will double beep if another target is in the vicinity no matter how big the metal is or how close the target is to this metal.
No detector I have used with any coil can do this no matter how hard I try or how many different settings I have set them at.
The Compadre with any coil can do this effortlessly and easily and one of the chief reasons I have always recommended everyone have a Compadre in the arsenal even if you own and use many others.

If you want to cherry pick you can turn the knob to about the 3:00 position and dig zinc cents, dimes quarters and all the other big coins.
You will also get a certain amount of trash at this level, bigger can slaw pieces, some pop tops and others.
Max out the knob dimes quarters and copper cents will still be there, large cans too, sometimes, but most other trash will be gone except maybe some large rusty iron.
Most high tone pop tops will fade out just a little below max disc setting so you can tell them from dimes and quarters.

If you want to dig more than this, good targets that is, and lower that knob down but still avoid trash if you can this way works well for me.
I start with the knob at lower positions, get a tone, turn the knob past the fade out point and then slowly back down and then carefully listen to how the target "come in".
There is a huge amount of information you can get about targets if you do it this way.
Most often than not good targets, coins, rings etc, will come in clean and with no noise...they are just, "there".
Most irregular shaped trash will come in noisy with fuzzyness, crackles, a lot of clicks or maybe just a few.

Not all targets of either type will act like this but most will.

As far as coins nickles will be the iffyest, the lower you go on the knob the less sharp the disc but it is still pretty sharp through most of its range.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread