Vaquero: Top coils and their uses?

Expired

Greenie
Dec 9, 2007
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
None ATM.
Hey guys, It's been a while since I looked at metal detectors and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger.

This will be my first MD and I've decided on a Vaquero as a good all-around with ground balance.
My only question is what coils should I get?

Right now I'm looking at..
12"x10" EXcelerator DD Coil
10"x"5" Elliptical DD Coil
5.75" Round Concentric or DD Coil

Thanks for the help,
-Nathan

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice would be to concentrate on just learning the stock coil and your detector first. Then to answer your question, that depends on what you are hunting for and how mineralized your soil is. Second coil for me would be the 5". Get concentric if your soil is mild, DD if your soil is mineralized.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice would be to concentrate on just learning the stock coil and your detector first. Then to answer your question, that depends on what you are hunting for and how mineralized your soil is..

I agree with this. Learn your machine with the stock coil.

OP
OP
Expired

Expired

Greenie
Dec 9, 2007
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
None ATM.
Well, I was going to see if maybe I could trade out the stock coil for the 10"x5" Elliptical and pay the difference.
Then I guess get a 5.75" Concentric or EXcelerator to go with it? The ground around me is pretty fair.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always a good idea after you learn how the stock coil works to drop down in size and get a smaller coil for trashy areas. I'd suggest the 5.75" concentric as the first additional coil to handle those situations.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, It's been a while since I looked at metal detectors and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger.

This will be my first MD and I've decided on a Vaquero as a good all-around with ground balance.
My only question is what coils should I get?

Right now I'm looking at..
12"x10" EXcelerator DD Coil
10"x"5" Elliptical DD Coil
5.75" Round Concentric or DD Coil

Thanks for the help,
-Nathan

The 5.75" DD made the Vaquero a much better machine IMO. Separation & pinpointing were improved greatly and the depth is the same as the stock 9x8 concentric. It was a sharpshooter compared to the stocker and I never put the 9x8 coil back on after using the 5.75 DD for awhile

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5.75" DD made the Vaquero a much better machine IMO. Separation & pinpointing were improved greatly and the depth is the same as the stock 9x8 concentric. It was a sharpshooter compared to the stocker and I never put the 9x8 coil back on after using the 5.75 DD for awhile

Yes, the 5.75" DD is called the "Widescan" which was confusing nomenclature for me at first, but will give better target seperation.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 5.75" DD is called the "Widescan" which was confusing nomenclature for me at first, but will give better target seperation.

They were trying to come up with something catchy I guess. 'Long scan' would make sense, but White's already took that name!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like having the right coil for the job at hand... Just got the clean sweep coil for my Tejon on EBay today for $82 and this summer for dry sand should do better at beach... Also should help to cover large sod areas like soccer and baseball fields... The 5.75 is the choice in trash or seeking small gold! I would never advise someone not to get more coils, especially if they want versatility and if you are anything like me, give everything you do 110%...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years I've accumulated and used numerous coils. I can truth fully say for my hunting, other than the stock coils, I've had more success by going to smaller coils, usually for trashy areas, than I've ever had with larger coils which can also be tiresome to swing. Larger coils have their place when hunting large, relatively trash free areas and where you may need an inch or two more of depth, but for the typical park, fair ground, tot lot coin/jewelry hunter the smaller coils are a great asset IMHO.
luvsdux

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned 6 Tesoros and I have only used the stock coils exclusively. I am kind of hooked on widescan coils and that would be the only reason I would switch the stock coil out. The good thing about the Tesoros is they are all very fast and easy to learn. The only one that was different for me to use was the Golden Umax because I had to really play with it to figure out the notch discrimination. I bet it won't take you long to get used to, and figure the Vanquero out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread