Outlaw finding deep pull tabs - that wont disc out?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Outlaw finding deep pull tabs - that won't disc out?

So took the Outlaw out today to a park, this was my first time using with the new machine. Very trashy park! So after awhile, decided to raise the disc and just look for coins. Well, even with the disc past zinc, I was still getting deep pull tabs, the older beaver tail type. Using the 8" concentric. What is funny is that they easily disc out in an air test.

The Golden umax does the same thing with the concentric coil. Not so much with the DD.

Is this typical?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaver tails and ring pulls are hard to disc out past 7-8 inches. They sound really good on all my machines that deep.

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it is at least nice to see the Outlaw going that deep. Those $&@ pull tabs... A detectorist's nemesis!

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltabs the nemesis, then to be rewarded with plated zinc costume jewelry. Don't get me wrong, I like the hobby, but I sure do get my share of zinc jewelry. Yesterday I got a gold plated watch that was large enough that it seemed to overwhelm the disc and I had my hopes up. I like digging the real gold and real silver quite a bit more.

Last edited:

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
11254729_10153279305214253_324154704796738528_n.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So took the Outlaw out today to a park, this was my first time using with the new machine. Very trashy park! So after awhile, decided to raise the disc and just look for coins. Well, even with the disc past zinc, I was still getting deep pull tabs, the older beaver tail type. Using the 8" concentric. What is funny is that they easily disc out in an air test.

The Golden umax does the same thing with the concentric coil. Not so much with the DD.

Is this typical?

I would try lowering sensitivity a lilttle. Made a lot of difference on my vaquero.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Vaquero, beavertails seem to give a very slightly different sound than coins or rings. Maybe my imagination? They have a less pleasant sound that I recognize. I skip a lot of them but dig a lot of them. On Saturday I was at a very old and unused park in Tulsa, that I think bums have been camping at and drinking cans of beer since the 50's. There are beavertails layered everywhere. And too bad bums don't lose gold rings very often.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaver tails and ring pulls are hard to disc out past 7-8 inches. They sound really good on all my machines that deep.

I agree, I dug a deep beaver tail pull tab today that was giving a high audio tone and high VDI numbers on my F75DST. I thought it was going to be a silver dime.
It happens every once in awhile on most detectors that I use.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with lowering the Sensitivity slightly, and using just a "touch" and I do mean slight amount of POSITIVE ground balance. Too much and the effect is null, but if you set the ground balance perfectly then thumb it just a SCOOTCH to positive, it may help solve your problem. Please let me know

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with lowering the Sensitivity slightly, and using just a "touch" and I do mean slight amount of POSITIVE ground balance. Too much and the effect is null, but if you set the ground balance perfectly then thumb it just a SCOOTCH to positive, it may help solve your problem. Please let me know

Thanks, I will give this a try.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That might help indeed, and there is nothing wrong with your detector.

The deeper you reach, the higher the ground effects at depth (or the weaker the ground compensation (balance) effects. And higher ground effects result in difficult TID, and a TID shift towards high conductors. Your pulltab appears in the or dime zinc range, a range you don't discriminate. Logically you get a signal.

HH

Grumpy

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe some are saying this is normal. Never experienced anything like this except with vaquero running way too hot, just blows response right past the disc. Never with any other.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Dirtscratcher are you telling me you have never dug a deep beaver tail or ring pull on your t2 or 705 that wasn't giving a high reading in the 80s or 90s?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Dirtscratcher are you telling me you have never dug a deep beaver tail or ring pull on your t2 or 705 that wasn't giving a high reading in the 80s or 90s?

Absolutely positively never! Can't imagine it either.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have with my AT Gold.....just the beaver tails.....and .22 bullets will sometimes hit high also....

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have with my AT Gold.....just the beaver tails.....and .22 bullets will sometimes hit high also....

I like I said before, my F75DST just recently high toned on a deep beaver tail. I rarely happens to any detector that have used, but it does happened if the conditions are right.

tabman

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not calling anyone a liar. I detect almost everyday, and it's never happened except the vaquero running water too hot. Last couple months I've been using an atpro and it hasn't done it either. The 22 bullets baffle me also.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on now! Its 2016... why cant we just SEE whats under the ground?

We can send monkeys and potatos to space... but still we dig pull tabs.... *******s.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry's comment about setting the GB just slightly positive is how I run my IDX also,similar sort of setup I believe...it certainly has worked for me in the past,it seems to take more of the ground signal out of the equation giving the machine more of a chance to process a true signal....it's been said that a slightly NEGATIVE GB will reach a bit further at the expense of digging more trash,I like the happy medium of NUETRAL most times.
I have certainly CHASED deep ring pull-type (8-10") signals with my Explorer2 thinking they MIGHT be something good,but all the time knowing full well they weren't. With higher resolution information the sound of the target isn't quite right,it trails off SLIGHTLY as the coil leaves the target. Deep coins (past 8") are tough a lot of times but the signal hardly ever "trails off",at least with the IDX and Explorer,it comes and goes cleanly,albeit faintly or softly...

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry's comment about setting the GB just slightly positive is how I run my IDX also,similar sort of setup I believe...it certainly has worked for me in the past,it seems to take more of the ground signal out of the equation giving the machine more of a chance to process a true signal....it's been said that a slightly NEGATIVE GB will reach a bit further at the expense of digging more trash,I like the happy medium of NUETRAL most times.
I have certainly CHASED deep ring pull-type (8-10") signals with my Explorer2 thinking they MIGHT be something good,but all the time knowing full well they weren't. With higher resolution information the sound of the target isn't quite right,it trails off SLIGHTLY as the coil leaves the target. Deep coins (past 8") are tough a lot of times but the signal hardly ever "trails off",at least with the IDX and Explorer,it comes and goes cleanly,albeit faintly or softly...

Yes, I will try adjusting the GB as you and Terry suggest. i will admit that I WAS intentionally running the GB slightly negative that day, thinking it might make the Outlaw more sensitive to deeper silver. If the price for that is hitting the deeper beaver tail tabs, I will stick to neutral or slightly positive. We will give her a try and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread