Anyone using a Golden µMAX AND a DD coil ?

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If so, I would appreciate to be told how the detector, fitted with a DD coil (Tesoro, detech, whatever) responds audibly to bottlecaps.

My Golden is a fantastic coin machine with the 8" coil (strangely 1" or so deeper than the 9 x 8 spoked coil), and if I have to dig every bottlecap on earth with a DD coil, I'd stick with it. But I might benefit from some additional coverage...hence my question.

Many thanks in advance

Olegrumpy

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the 7" widescan on mine. Bottle caps fool me sometimes, but most of the time they come in clipped or with a mixed iron tone.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's a rough one. Some say they can tell but I am rarely SURE so I dig more rusty bottlecaps than I would like to with the Golden and CleanSweep (DD) coil. Luckily with the CleanSweep bottlecaps pinpoint a little off at 90 degrees, maybe would work same with other DD coils, but like I said, I dig a lot of bottlecaps. No matter how I adjust the notch, set the tones, wiggle, shake or whatever, I still dig too many bottlecaps.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle caps are tough with most DD coils....the minelabs(etrac, ctx, etc.) are the only ones that do well concerning bottle caps and DD coils.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think part of the solution is to use a low frequency (less than 6kHz) with a DD coil. One of the good ways to ID a bottlecap with the Deus is to change to 4kHz frequency on a suspect bottlecap signal. The higher 12khZ and 18khz frequencies LOVE those stupid things, but switching to 4kHZ takes away the doubt - if it's a coin the audio will be almost identical vs other frequencies, if it's a cap the audio gets chopped and crackly.

Kind of wish Tesoro would release a low frequency searchcoil since it would help in my soil with mineralization and deeper coins, but...maybe put it on a wishlist:dontknow:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I get into a pry-cap infested area I switch to a concentric search coil, problem solved.

tabman

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well thanks for answering !

Sure, the concentrics are much better on pesky rusty bottlecaps, and indeed, my DFX will have much less problems with bottlecaps with DD coi and 3 KhZ work frequncy. But for quick season beach C&J hunting, I prefer by far the Golden an it's no motion made, and tones. It's so light, I can hunt much faster and much longer than using a DFX or Sov GT, for instance. PLUS, it's son much fun with the Golden !

Will have to reconsider the DD coil, it seems. I'll try to test a 12x10 concentric from Tesoro, bur fear the weight a bit.

Thanks again to all !

Grumpy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread