Help me decide

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm looking for another coil to hunt trash ridden parks and fair grounds with but am lost as to what to be looking for. I'll be using it on the silver sabre II and Deleon so its a epsilon 5 pin choice. I would like a 5.75 wide scan but they only make it in a delta coil so its not an option. I am looking at 11x8 which I feel might be too big for trashy ground ,therefore I was looking at the Cors coils in particular the Fortune 9.5x 5" DD coil. I believe it is the same as the Nel sharpshooter coil ?My problem with Cors is will Tesoro tune the Deleon to it if I find it works well .I think it would be better to send the Deleon in to be tuned to it, since I'm not all that crazy about the stock 9x8 coil. If they won't I might be interested in the Tesoro 7" wide scan since there isn't much info on it, I'm at odds about trying one. I have a 4" concentric coil but it is too small for a full time designated coil but works great for specific applications.As you can see I am totally lost. Lol.
I left out cors 6.5 x3 shrew which isn't much better than the fortune other than distinguishing big iron a little better and then there is the Cors point which is a 5." round DD , probably closest to the 5.75 wide scan as I'll be able to get.I'm just thinking the fortune will cover more ground for all purpose type coil? Maybe I am more lost than I had thought ?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that since you don't have ground balance on those machines, a genuine Tesoro coil may work better for you than any aftermarket coil. If you have Tesoro tune your machine to the Cors or NEL, then it could work well for you.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the 5.75 concentric? I think they work well in trashy spots, as long as you don't have "hot soil" and too many hot rocks. Better, in fact, than the 5.75 widescan, as discrimination will be more consistant and accurate with the concentric, and it pinpoints better.

I bought a CORS Fortune in 5 pin, and my disc was way off, and airtests were poor. I tried it breifly on my Eldorado, ground balanced and tested outside on a 10" buried nickel. Couldn't hit it with the CORS coil, but could still hit it with the (smaller) 5.75 concentric..!
I put the CORS back in the box and put my Tesoro 5.75 back on the Eldorado. I thought the CORS would be good for me, but in all fairness, I really didn't try it out for long.

The small DD (widescan) coils work well in many spots I go to, but I'm finding that in "easy" soil, I prefer the small concentric (have both in 4 pin).
You may want to try one. In 5 pin version, the 5.75 concentric is quite inexpensive; less than a CORS/NEL. If Tesoro offered the 5.75 widescan in a 5 pin, I probably would have bought that, instead of the CORS. I assume there's a good reason Tesoro doesn't make that coil in 5 pin. No doubt, they've tested some and decided against it. ^_^

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the response. The fact that they didn't make the 5.75 widescan in a 5 pin version makes me wonder how good the 5 pin 7" wide scan works ? I should have bought the 5.75 when I bought the 4" concentric. It works well for tight spots but I don't notice any improvement over the 8" coils for separating targets in trash. That is what makes me want to try the RSD coil. I just wish they made it a smaller version of it.

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I probably ordered the wrong one again but I ordered the 7" wide scan coil. It's cheap enough and I will know rather than always wonder. Your right though. I don't know why I haven't got a 5.75 concentric coil yet....

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all your help. I knew you could help me decide.......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7" Round Widescan7RW-SW-E

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The coil and scuff was in the mail box today. I'm looking forward to see if there is a difference. I have the compadre or sabre tagging along so pinpointing isn't going to be a concern with the wide scan coil.

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I guess I don't know what I was expecting but the 7" wide scan works pretty well. One thing it does extremely well with the Deleon is pinpoint the targets. That is a pleasant surprise since the Deleon has always been questionable about pinpointing with its stock coil and the other reviews on wide scan coils stating the opposite. I dug 74 cents ,a lighter, 2 bottle caps, a thumb tack that was deep. I dug it because the Sabre with the 4" coil couldn't pick it up, I thought it was false reading but it had a good repeatable tone so I wanted to know what it was. Why on a thumb tack, I have no idea. I dug another piece of broken metal that registered 95, no clue as to what it was either. Earliest coin was 1969 .....

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well after a few episodes of trying to get the videos to work about the RSD coil with no luck. I finally gave up and ordered the coil. I hate going into things blind but it is what it is. Living out in the sticks definitely has its disadvantages. I was trying to buy a Tejon on ebay, had extra 5.75 coil with it. While I was waiting for it to process through the steps, it was sold to someone else. I missed a good one there......I'm going out in a bit. The county fair ended last night, should be enough new trash to sort through that I'll forget all about a Tejon , for now. When I get the RSD, I'll post my thoughts. I am really liking the 7" wide scan coil, it works well.....

rob0260

Apr 4, 2014
Here's another option. Get a 5.75 Compadre. Excellent in trash, great separation, very sensitive, hits on gold hard and not greatly effected by mineralized ground. Also a great backup or loaner machine.

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another option. Get a 5.75 Compadre. Excellent in trash, great separation, very sensitive, hits on gold hard and not greatly effected by mineralized ground. Also a great backup or loaner machine.

They don't make a Compadre with a ground balance and the battery check upon start up is most annoying thing I have heard in a long time. It is the worst for using a Garrett pro pointer,every time you shut it down because they interfere with each other ,you have to listen to the God awful battery check upon start up. I need to toggle a volume control to the speaker wire so I can turn the speaker off for start up but then it would void my warranty. I'm still considering doing it anyways.I have three Tesoros, all with no ground balance. It's time to get one with a ground balance and I am as deaf as a rock. The Tejon has tone control to change the frequency of the tone. The only thing better for my situation would be would be to be bluetooth compatible so I can program it directly through my hearing aids.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....I have three Tesoros, all with no ground balance. It's time to get one with a ground balance and I am as deaf as a rock. The Tejon has tone control to change the frequency of the tone. The only thing better for my situation would be would be to be bluetooth compatible so I can program it directly through my hearing aids.

Another option, and probably a good one since you have other 5 pin Tesoros, is to get a 5 pin Tesoro with GB. In their current range, take a look at the Outlaw. If you prefer a higher tone, then the Eldorado (microMAX housing) or Bandido II microMAX may be exactly what you want, but you'll have to find those used. Both of the older machines have GB, good depth and a high tone (quite high on Bandido). Those machines won't go quite as deep as a Tejon, but they are 5 pin, so you can use all your coils.

If you are OK with a 4 pin Tesoro with GB, a Vaquero is also a good choice. If you like a high tone, you can get a Vaquero "high tone" model (or have one converted by Tesoro).

BTW - I think you'll find that on Tesoros, at least all those I've tried, the concentric coils will discriminate and pinpoint better than equal sized DD (widescan) coils do... If working in trashy spots, you may really like their 5.75 concentric. I'd recommend that coil to anyone working in trashy areas, unless you have extreme mineralization...

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stoof's advice told me to buy the outlaw but the scatter brain that I am, I bought the Deleon instead. I am liking the Deleon/ 7" wide scan combo but have the RSD coil coming. Somewhere I read that the Deleon doesn't like the bigger coils and I can see that but hoping the RSD is a different enough to work and it'll work on the sabre and outlaw when I get money scraped up to buy the outlaw. I 've got a new Garrett pro pointer 2 coming in the next day or so. I almost bought the Makro pointer instead but I like the old pro pointer well enough to get another Garrett.

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The RSD was in the mailbox. I threw it on the Deleon and headed for the fair grounds. There is so much trash in the ground for that size coil. I could pick targets apart but I need to put it on the sabre where the tone is more distinguishable between targets. The display was pretty much useless other than selecting high numbered targets which was a task as the numbers bounced everywhere across the scale. I dug a slew of light bulb sockets, round tarp grommets. I did get a solid nickel tab reading and I dug a 1969 nickel that was close to 9" deep in rock infested trashy soil. I was impressed. I pulled gum wrapper foil up about 5" deep and I thought that was what it was targeting. I scanned the hole again and still got the nickel signal. It was dead center in the hole so I'm thinking that it was more than a fluke. Or was it ? I picked up and went to the baseball field which was on the way home and the coil worked fine. I dug 86 cents in a matter of minutes as I didn't have a lot of time. I dug two bottle caps that deep but sounded good as well. The display worked fine at the baseball field, think I need to cut the sensitivity down at the fair grounds, it is a chore for any coil. The RSD coil pin points as well as the 7" widescan.I am happy about that.I will be able to cover ground when needed.

OP
OP
B

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I went out later this morning as it was raining a bit this morning and I found a 14k gold ring with the RSD coil. I'm still grinning like a loon. I found new coins as well, which is what I was after. The county fair ended last Sunday but this ring was there years prior to this years fair attendance.I have no clue as to how to post pictures here, I can't even see most of those pics that are posted but dial up modem is what I got.

The RSD is a different coil. You have to give it more room between the coil and ground when scanning targets. When it does beep, it's going to be a repeatable target there, no messing around with phantom tones. The more distance between the coil and ground stabilizes the display on the Deleon, maybe the coil distance is not so important on a non display machine. I kept the threshold maxed and turned the sensitivity back to 7-8 area so it doesn't chatter while sitting idle when I'm digging targets. It will and does interact with the Garrett pro pointer which is what I don't understand ?I didn't know the coils makes a difference, I though it was the frequency of the machine that determined that but the other coils never bothered like this one does. It's easier just to turn it off when using the pro pointer, no annoying battery check upon start up....

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that too. Keep a couple of inches above ground, goes deeper for me too.

You might try it if you find time, my RSD tests horribly in an air test. Not much better than the stock 9x8. You'll think the coil is bad.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have the 7" wide scan and use on my Outlaw now and then its a nice little coil. The 5.75 coil works just a little better on the Outlaw in heavy trash you just got to slow down and hunt methodically with them to get great returns.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I've noticed that too. Keep a couple of inches above ground, goes deeper for me too.

You might try it if you find time, my RSD tests horribly in an air test. Not much better than the stock 9x8. You'll think the coil is bad.

Hey steve1357 did you check to make sure there was no EMI interference during your air testing with the RSD coil ??. This can really affect air testing sometimes and I think DD coils are more prone to it.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread