doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For loyal Tesoro users what other competitor metal detector AND MODEL would you praise as a great choice that you would want part of your arsenal? If nothing, great to hear, regardless want to hear from you, others..let me know as I am curious what you enjoy using. I am listing what I am aware of from what I know, and realize there are some others out there that I have not mentioned but like to include Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics, Makro, XP Deus, Nokta,Garrett, Minelab and Whites, if I have missed any other manufactures and like to post your opinions please do.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as it says below the only others I use are the makro racer 2 and nokta fors relic. I really like them and all the settings they offer.
Love my tesoros but I also have quite a fondness for these detectors with the coils that I have.
They have pretty much rounded out my collection.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A loyal Tesoro user indeed! Like what I hear from the Makro and Nokta as well, nice to see that they are part of your list Stoof and see you have two Compadre's as well...I like your selections, anyone else?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yeah can't have a rounded collection without at least one compadre.... Lol.
I was surprised as well to see Terry's review on the racer 2. Means alot coming from him. He's been Tesoro all the way and he likes it too.
Subscribed to hear more opinions.
Thinking about grabbing one from each company lol. Just gotta figure out which one from each.
Happy hunting!!

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Yeah can't have a rounded collection without at least one compadre.... Lol.
I was surprised as well to see Terry's review on the racer 2. Means alot coming from him. He's been Tesoro all the way and he likes it too.
Subscribed to hear more opinions.
Thinking about grabbing one from each company lol. Just gotta figure out which one from each.
Happy hunting!!

Yep, I like what I hear from the Makro Racer 2 for sure, Western & Eastern Treasures October 2016 had it on their Product Report found it a good read as well.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I had a bad BH for the first 3 months and learned the basics then switched to a Vaq after that and that's when my career really began.
I got a Compadre from Skiwhiz a few months later and really enjoyed learning that one too.
Then I bought an F2 just to take on vacation only and to keep around as a guest detector...I got that one because the recovery speed and target separation abilities mimicked my Tesoros and I figured the screen would be helpful to any newbie guests I lent it to.
Turns out me and that F2 really bonded, learning the tones and the screen added an extra dimension of fun to the hobby for me so I used this mostly as my prime while I got deep into the learning process and I went on to find a shocking amount of coins and jewelry over the three seasons I used it...more than 10X's it's cost, easily.
Then I got an F70 with more settings and abilities and learning that one has been a blast, too.
In the most difficult sites I have ever hunted, super heavy iron, extreme mineralization and more I have also been so shockingly successful with that F70 that the Fisher is still my prime.
That doesn't mean I don't use both my Tesoros anymore because I still do.
The fun I have hunting with them is different than hunting with the Fishers but still a blast and being able to switch around between the three on a whim is something I cherish, normal for me and would never think of getting rid of those Tesoros.
When I buy a tool it stays bought and I don't care if I use it a few or a million times in a year I do use it and I like to keep them handy when that urge hits.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For loyal Tesoro users what other competitor metal detector AND MODEL would you praise as a great choice that you would want...

As a "loyal Tesoro user".. I haven't really tried out anything other than Tesoros and I'm no expert, but I do know what to expect from them. I presently keep 13 working Tesoros, and have given a couple more to my kids. It's tough not to collect 'em when they're so much fun to play with...:tongue3:
I can't praise any others as a "great choice" if I haven't even tried them.

That said, the brand and model that interests me most is the Makro Racer 2. It just seems the most like what a modern Tesoro could be; still light weight and durable, but with programable options and TID. Planning on getting one next Spring; we'll see. Another I may have a look at is the Deus. In all honesty though, I'd greatly prefer my next detector to be made in USA...

My blasphemy could all end if Tesoro actually comes out with some interesting, new detectors... (not that I'll be parting company with any of mine). ^_^

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that for the Fisher F2, they are inexpensive, fairly deep, and they flat out work on coins and jewelry.
I had a bad BH for the first 3 months and learned the basics then switched to a Vaq after that and that's when my career really began.
I got a Compadre from Skiwhiz a few months later and really enjoyed learning that one too.
Then I bought an F2 just to take on vacation only and to keep around as a guest detector...I got that one because the recovery speed and target separation abilities mimicked my Tesoros and I figured the screen would be helpful to any newbie guests I lent it to.
Turns out me and that F2 really bonded, learning the tones and the screen added an extra dimension of fun to the hobby for me so I used this mostly as my prime while I got deep into the learning process and I went on to find a shocking amount of coins and jewelry over the three seasons I used it...more than 10X's it's cost, easily.
Then I got an F70 with more settings and abilities and learning that one has been a blast, too.
In the most difficult sites I have ever hunted, super heavy iron, extreme mineralization and more I have also been so shockingly successful with that F70 that the Fisher is still my prime.
That doesn't mean I don't use both my Tesoros anymore because I still do.
The fun I have hunting with them is different than hunting with the Fishers but still a blast and being able to switch around between the three on a whim is something I cherish, normal for me and would never think of getting rid of those Tesoros.
When I buy a tool it stays bought and I don't care if I use it a few or a million times in a year I do use it and I like to keep them handy when that urge hits.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab 70 which I am selling and thinking about buying a Tesoro Outlaw with 3 coils.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All great posts so far, figured I also hear great things on the F2 here as well, excellent choices indeed, I would like to try the F2 some day as I hear they have as digger27 mentioned great separation and recovery speed..that alone makes a huge difference. I have a 1st Texas Titan 9000 coming in the mail soon and hope to try this out in the field on what it can do once the ground breaks thaw in the spring.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who have tried the f2,
Is the recovery as fast as the compadre?
Besides my nokta and makro I have yet to find machines as fast as my tesoros.
Considered getting one.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
For those who have tried the f2,
Is the recovery as fast as the compadre?
Besides my nokta and makro I have yet to find machines as fast as my tesoros.
Considered getting one.

I bought my F2 precisely because all indications and posts suggested it was just as fast with great target separation abilities just like my two Tesoros including a Compadre.
To repeat, I bought it only as a take on vacation detector and as a back up only...I went for a screen unit because I thought it would be easier to deal with for any newbie guest detector I lent it to.
When I got it I found all was true...it was super fast, target separation was fantastic and it was not exactly Compadre sensitive but very close.
I had so much fun learning it I used it as my prime for 3 seasons.
That $200 investment in public sites found me about $800 in clad, the yearly most coins found award at my club 3 years running plus many other awards and prizes, and many old coins even though I wasn't really interested in that so much at the time.
What I was interested in was jewelry and in that time it found me a couple of thousand dollars in silver and gold jewelry items...chains, rings, medallions and pendants.
In 2013 I set a goal to find 12 gold targets in my heavily hunted parks in the dirt by the end of the year...and I did it.
The F70 found one, my Vaq found another when I was just playing around with a new sniper coil and the F2 found 10, one with the 10" coil the rest with the sniper.

Most were found in very heavy trash sites thanks to those rapid recovery and superior target separation abilities...plus, as I mentioned the free sniper coil had a lot to do with all of it also.

My Tesoros and my Fishers make quite a team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice post and experience with your collection and setting and reaching your personal goals, nice touch at the end as well. Great job digger27 Wooohooo!!

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got a Teknetics T2 classic delivered yesterday. It is really super quick when separating targets. The ground balance has to be adjusted in all metal mode and then it carries over to either all metal or Discriminate mode. It makes me think I wish I had now bought the cortes instead of the Deleon. I'm thinking it most likely works the same as the Cortes can only be ground balance adjusting in all metal but I'm not sure whether it actually does transfer like the T2 does from one mode to the other, I'm betting it might but without the actual display readout like the T2 has , it can't be verified....I think I am going to add the Fisher F75 which is basically near the same as the T2, that way I can add various coils as the Tek and Fisher coils interchange with each other.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got and use a bunch of Tesoros nearly exclusively, but do have a Whites MXT with several coils that is a very versatile and competent machine. I especially like the light weight of the Tesoros and find them more fun to swing for long periods.
luvsdux

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
I have a Makro Gold Racer that is great on gold in the areas nearby. It's retune speed is adjustable and it is very close to the speed of the Compadre. It's also great on the beaches here with the big coil. In some areas with lots of black sand, the Compadre can't be beat. I run the Compadre just above "on" in true all metal and find quarters in the black sand areas where the MGR and apparently others just aren't searching. I suppose a PI machine could work better. I'm thinking of a SDC 2300 to round out the tool kit. The MGR has all the adjustments one could want and auto ground balance too. It's quite a swiss army knife. I can rig it for nuggets and manual adjust everything. Or, I can put the big coil on and use auto GB and just go. The mineralization bar graph helps to let me know when I'm getting false signals from hot ground. The high 56k frequency helps that big coil find even tiny bits of metal. I can even tell how big the target is because its DD and has a narrow detection field. The VDI helps in knowing when its Iron as it really locks in at about 22. The tone break is really nice because I can digitally set the disc just to knock out hot rocks at 10 and set the tone break where ever I need for gold or coins without loosing depth from too much disc. It's a great tool. The Compadre is great for just detecting and no screen. I just look around at the sceenery and enjoy. I just listen to the sounds but still dig everything so I don't worry about missing anything. I play the game of guessing what it is and am getting very accurate! It's pure fun! It's "Treasure Hunting" in it's pureist form! Well, these are my tools and I'm pretty happy with just these 2 units. The Compadre is special and I will never be without one. The MGR has power, and all the adjustments one could want and use. (maybe a SDC will be in my kit some day) There's my set up and my take on it. Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Cibola is the go to machine for beaches and shallow lawns. For deep woods targets I use the Tejon. Love that discriminator toggle. Have had a Lobo and kicked rear with it. The Vaquero was a beauty also, but the stable was getting full. Had some White's in the past, good machines, even a White's PI, but hate digging little nails.

Right now I'm using primarily the Tejon and a new Deus XP WS4 for hunted out sites. Doing great with both. Also have a Garrett pinpointer which should have broken a long time ago as I use it as a dirt clog breaking hammer.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,
I have a Makro Gold Racer that is great on gold in the areas nearby. It's retune speed is adjustable and it is very close to the speed of the Compadre. It's also great on the beaches here with the big coil. In some areas with lots of black sand, the Compadre can't be beat. I run the Compadre just above "on" in true all metal and find quarters in the black sand areas where the MGR and apparently others just aren't searching. I suppose a PI machine could work better. I'm thinking of a SDC 2300 to round out the tool kit. The MGR has all the adjustments one could want and auto ground balance too. It's quite a swiss army knife. I can rig it for nuggets and manual adjust everything. Or, I can put the big coil on and use auto GB and just go. The mineralization bar graph helps to let me know when I'm getting false signals from hot ground. The high 56k frequency helps that big coil find even tiny bits of metal. I can even tell how big the target is because its DD and has a narrow detection field. The VDI helps in knowing when its Iron as it really locks in at about 22. The tone break is really nice because I can digitally set the disc just to knock out hot rocks at 10 and set the tone break where ever I need for gold or coins without loosing depth from too much disc. It's a great tool. The Compadre is great for just detecting and no screen. I just look around at the sceenery and enjoy. I just listen to the sounds but still dig everything so I don't worry about missing anything. I play the game of guessing what it is and am getting very accurate! It's pure fun! It's "Treasure Hunting" in it's pureist form! Well, these are my tools and I'm pretty happy with just these 2 units. The Compadre is special and I will never be without one. The MGR has power, and all the adjustments one could want and use. (maybe a SDC will be in my kit some day) There's my set up and my take on it. Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for posting this Tahoegold, great to hear that you dedicated your time to just these two units and sounds like you have a bright future of 'gold' hunting ahead with this duo for sure.. again great post and welcome to the Treasurenet as a new member!

Happy New Year and HH to you as well, :occasion14:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing that I've tried will unmask like a Tesoro will. Set the discriminate mode to just barely knock out a iron nail and go to digging. If there's a detector that will unmask better, please let me know. Why a relic hunter would use anything but a Tesoro is beyond me.

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro users asked about what other brands they favor in a "for loyal Tesoro fans only" thread on a "Tesoro" forum, hmmm... a bit oxymoronic don't you think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions