Mojave

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the situation and what you are hunting for. Tot lots, school yards, modern camp grounds that are loaded with melted alluminum, the Mojave will probably outperform. For deeper coins, working Plowed fields, I would choose the Vaq. For campgrounds where everyone loves to burn their beer cans and shoot their guns, the Compadre and Mojave handle it much better in my experience.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry why do you own a Compadre and Silver µMax if the Vaquero out performs them? I love my Vaquero, but the Mojave is everything that the Compadre and Silver µMax are combined and then some. I'd like to hear your comments on the Mojave after you use one.

tabman

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero gets it's depth from super tuning . I don't know if you can even super tune a Mojave ?? ..... time will tell

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the new Mojave out perform a Vaq with a 5.75 coil.

Had a funny feeling this was going to be posted the other day. Well let's put it to the test then, anyone :dontknow:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be fair to Tesoro though I would hold out on this to be honestly fair to them, can anyone agree..wait to they sell enough of these and maybe another detector release before giving us your opinions sorry for my last comment. But I think no.8-)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try your Outlaw with a 4" or 5.75" concentric against the Compadre, Silver, Cibola, Mojave - whatever. Then get back to me. :skullflag:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try your Outlaw with a 4" or 5.75" concentric against the Compadre, Silver, Cibola, Mojave - whatever. Then get back to me. :skullflag:

Terry you never did say why you own a Compadre and a Silver µMax if a Vaquero will out do them. Now you're suggesting that the Outlaw with a smaller search coil will outdo a Compadre, a Silver µMax, A Cibola and a Mojave that you have never used. I think that we both agree that the Outlaw is a real sleeper and in the right hands is deadly especially with the 5.75 inch search coil. It's only shortcoming was it had one button and one switch too many for the average user.

BTW, did you ever make that call to confirm what I stated about the supply of Mojave detectors was accurate?

I really can't wait to hear your response concerning the Mojave once you have had a chance to actually use one.

tabman

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw for trash...

It's in those trashy camp areas where I think the Outlaw works best. Both it and Bandido II μMAX, are what I prefer wherever I expect to find lots of modern garbage. The others work OK in trash with the 5.75 concentric on them, just not as well as Outlaw and Bandido.

The Mojave should do well with the 7" concentric, but I don't expect it to be quite as quiet in trash as my ED120 Tesoros, and I wouldn't expect as much depth without full GB control.
Still haven't been able to compare the Mojave though; mine should be here today. :coffee2:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about an outlaw with the new 7" concentric...
Compromise anyone lol hahahahahahaha.
I havent received mine yet, but they are two different class machines.

Just on stuff I've heard and what I know from all listed below in my signature.....

The Mojave will most likely outperform the compadre in mild or hard soil because it has adjustments but it comes at a $90 premium.

No doubt the Mojave will wipe the floor with the silver even in mild soil because of the frequency being hotter on gold and definitely beat it in mi realized soil because the silver is preset.

Only turn on and go left is the cibola. If not modded, the cibola should win in mild soil as long as it's internal GB is set right, but the Mojave should be hotter on small gold like it's little brother the compadre. That 12khz seems to be a sweet spot for small gold.
But throw some mineralized soil at the cibola and as sad as it is to say, I believe the Mojave will win. Only because of previous experience. Before mi modded mine I had ran it in an area that had some pretty bad soil in spots and it falsed constantly. Even when I tried the frequency switches to offset the GB a little bit.

So in the arena of turn on and go above are what my opinion is.

But any GB machines is in a different level completely. From slightly positive to slightly negative, to power balancing it and supertuning with more options, they will win against the Mojave.

So unless you have mild ground and don't plan on modding the cibola (or buying a vaquero or outlaw or older GB model) I would go with the Mojave.
Again I havent run mine yet but seen some videos and paid alot of attention to what people have said about how it performs on high ground setting in mineralized soil, for turn on and go no ground balance offerings, the Mojave will be the clear winner in mineralized ground.

Hope I didn't offend anyone and I am only going by testimonials including Rusty's about his dirt in AZ.

But to compare a $251 turn on and go detector to any ground balance knob detectors isn't really fair.

If any of what I've been told about the Mojave is true and my eyes didn't receive me in the videos I've watched, below and and a bit above its price point, the Mojave is the winner. But once you hit vaquero and outlaw territory, you're at almost twice the price.
Against other manufacturers anywhere near that price point the Mojave, like the compadre did so long ago, will most likely win.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions