Permit

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2017
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well it had to happen sooner or later, but the wife and i took out the Mojave yesterday, this time making our first trip to the ocean front to try our luck. Though it is early in our season, we thought we would experiment with the Mojave in the sand, both wet dry. Well the long and short of it was, the beach pitched a perfect game................
We had lots of ghost signals, sound good then gone......... Wondering if anyone can perhaps point us in the right direction as far as settings. She started off high in sensativity, discrimination about half way between iron and foil, and low ground condition. Let me be clear we never had a lot of chatter, just ghost signals. As we hit signal after signal, digging of course, and finding nothing, she moved up the discrimination up to just below foil and this pretty much ended and signals we were getting. Any help is appreciated as we are both very new to the hobby, and the Mojave.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you bib the coil up and down in a clean spot with no metal (turn disc down to minimum to check) and it beeps while doing this you have to set it to high ground.
As far as sensitivity, as high as the area allows without chatting. Disc again is up to you. Higher you go, more you disc out.
Try bench testing with common targets like coins and rings if you have them and see where they disc out to give you an idea of where to set it to accept what you want. The dial words aren't always perfect and I always recommend a bench test to see where they actually disc out.
Also nickels can be odd and different years can vary where they disc out.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read this the other day sounds like what Stefan is saying maybe related to Power Balancing the machine by hearing for the single beep, read this and how to do this on Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and the Vaquero Metal Detectors after reading about Ground Balancing and wondered if the Mojave High/Low mineralization was just a two step GB adjustment.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably.
The manual says that.
Just like with power balancing you Bob in disc mode til it beeps then go positive until it stops.

But the Mojave manual does say to start in low and Bob the coil and if it beeps off, switch to high.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions