C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster, silver u max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not use such a method as any good coins could become scratched up using those.

well i thought of that......what about putting rubber tips on them so it doesnt scratch? i think somewhere i saw you can buy liquid rubber? and dip it in and let dry....on u tube?? i cant remmber...i just thought it would be easier and non contraversal for retrieving coins and such...for "sentative places" such as ppl lawns and elegant manicured parks...at least with this method they CANT TELL if you dug or not..cause you havent killed any roots...and your in a win/ win situation with more permissions;];];] was just hoping to help since you all were / are soo patient with me on learning;];];];]

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried several types of these for when a coin is a few inches deep and I can feel it with a screwdriver but can't use a digger. (Park rules here). They work fairly well for a few tries but then the hinges get jammed up with dirt and won't close anymore.

Long needle nosed pliers do the job too and are a bit easier to bang the dirt out of.

Mostly I only use them in situations where I can't get my fingers down deep enough.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

hmmm .. trying to think"outside the box" of traditional....what about meat tongs? like for bbqing? would that reach?i think some are rubberized too fort grabbing..and they are narrow i was thinking of putting in a "filler" for the hole in the tongs so you wont lose the item being dug...obviously..something tough and easy to keep clean..but that has a rough surface to"grip" .. ....all i can think of is that saying...the mother of all inventions was nessecity " the things we can think up to solve problems;];];];]

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm .. trying to think"outside the box" of traditional....what about meat tongs? like for bbqing? would that reach?i think some are rubberized too fort grabbing..and they are narrow i was thinking of putting in a "filler" for the hole in the tongs so you wont lose the item being dug...obviously..something tough and easy to keep clean..but that has a rough surface to"grip" .. ....all i can think of is that saying...the mother of all inventions was nessecity " the things we can think up to solve problems;];];];]

ohh hey what about chop sticks with a rubber band to hold them;];];];] kidding;];];] im lucky i can hold a fork right lolololol

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit late getting back to you, but coating them may work. To me it may be hit or miss on finding the target's exact position to grab it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread