Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel like I cheated on my beloved DeLeon, today, with a beautiful woman, but in this case another metal detector.

Yeah, I know this sounds silly, but guys, it's tough. I love my D so very much, it just hurts.

However, finding two silver dimes and a wheat can sure ease the pain. Yep, my 2nd and 3rd silvers of my 8th mo career.
1941 merc & 1957 Roosevelt. Also 1941 wheat. Ya'll know I had me some fun those 2 hours.

Found what might be possibly a honey hole. It's in a small out of the way space in an old city park, I've hunted a dozen times . But I always ignored this spot, not knowing if it was okay to go thru the broken wooden fence. Went anyway this morning, and boy was I glad I did. I found what I believe to be an old abandoned petting zoo. I plan to talk with the city parks manager on Monday, who I am on friendly terms with.

I can't wait to take my Deleon in there, with the 5.75" coil. I feel like she will do even better.

While I really really like my Red Racer, fun to be with, I'll always go back home to my main squeeze.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I really really like my Red Racer, fun to be with, I'll always go back home to my main squeeze.
Vern, you are dating yourself with the "main Squeeze" quote. That was a term I used in Germany in the early 60's.
Marvin

Auba14

Jun 17, 2015
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit it hard with the "D". I'm sure more goodies will come your way.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, you are dating yourself with the "main Squeeze" quote. That was a term I used in Germany in the early 60's.
Marvin

I was actually stationed in W Germany for 31 months, in the late sixties. I guess I picked up "main squeeze " there, like you.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was actually stationed in W Germany for 31 months, in the late sixties. I guess I picked up "main squeeze " there, like you.

What exactly were you guys doing over there? Lol.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you have a racer ?

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you have a racer ?

Ivan, yes I do own a Red Racer. I see you do too. To say I like it would be an understatement. Especially with the new 7" coil.

With the mighty DeLeon and the magnificent Red Racer, I am in the ready set go mode.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ivan, yes I do own a Red Racer. I see you do too. To say I like it would be an understatement. Especially with the new 7" coil.

With the mighty DeLeon and the magnificent Red Racer, I am in the ready set go mode.
It is very underrated and simple to use. The separation in iron is very good. I am learning the Aka sorex pro so other machines sit idle for the moment.I just thought I would check in,I need to get my silver sabre out to hunt a bit, it's the only Tesoro I have left.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect I'll never part with my DeLeon. Imho, it's a very fine accurate, easy to use machine. Not the deepest machine, but down to 6" it's a beast.

The RR is deeper. VID is amazing. I dig less trash with the RR.

I think the DeLeon whips the RR on jewelry. So far anyway. But I am still learning the Racer. Found a 10k gold ring this week with the Racer.

It appears you have some find machines in your arsenal.
Happy hunting

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is very underrated and simple to use. The separation in iron is very good. I am learning the Aka sorex pro so other machines sit idle for the moment.I just thought I would check in,I need to get my silver sabre out to hunt a bit, it's the only Tesoro I have left.

Aka Sorex pro? Never heard of it until now. Did some study on ir, prices, reviews, and specifications.
Very interesting.
I will be interested in how the Sorex stacks up to the Racer.

Does it actually show the user the shape and size of the target? Say a quarter? Soda can?

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aka Sorex pro? Never heard of it until now. Did some study on ir, prices, reviews, and specifications.
Very interesting.
I will be interested in how the Sorex stacks up to the Racer.

Does it actually show the user the shape and size of the target? Say a quarter? Soda can?
It uses hodograph. Deep cans are a possible problem. I dug a black label beer can that was 16.5" deep but for the most part, it tells you a lot of info.It is the opposite of the Racer, it uses multiple settings in conjunction with each other but so many settings to watch.I'm pulling Indian heads and silver with it so I am very interested I it.I dug a 1867 shielded nickel as well. I just got a 6x10 20 kHz coil for it today, haven't used it yet.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan, you seem to have got a hold of a very interesting complicated md, and having some huge success. Are you planning to post some comments on the Sorex, under "other detectors?" I would be interested in what you have to say as you progress with this somewhat strange md.

Are you pulling the Indian heads and nickels deeper than on the Racer?

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I honestly don't think so but I am not running the Sorex pro anywhere near its limit like I do the Racer.I just think its a case of I'm digging everything right now with the Sorex out of not being familiar with it.The racer, anything 88 id is going to be good to dig, lower conductor digging can be exhausting with the racer, it loves foil bits and pieces.I 've dug wheats deep with the racer, I run gain at 95 disc at 25, sometimes with a negative ground balance, I'll go -2 of actual ground balance.I just got a smaller coil for the Sorex,have rain finally, should be a good weekend to get after some coins.Good luck and many finds, you are doing well.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand exactly what you are saying with the Racer. Here are the numbers I dig, and if it's not these numbers, I don't dig. Too exhausting for my broken body. I wish I were still in my sixties.
43-44; 53-54-55; 60; 76-77-78; 82; 84-85; 88-89-90-91. That's it.

Thanks you always for your encouragment and kind words. You helped me a lot when I first started this journey.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand exactly what you are saying with the Racer. Here are the numbers I dig, and if it's not these numbers, I don't dig. Too exhausting for my broken body. I wish I were still in my sixties.
43-44; 53-54-55; 60; 76-77-78; 82; 84-85; 88-89-90-91. That's it.

Thanks you always for your encouragment and kind words. You helped me a lot when I first started this journey.
When in nail infested iron areas , turn your racer discrimination to lowest setting and turn gain down more than normal, you will see non ferrous targets appear .

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan, thanks for the tip. You know I'll give it a try. I haven't hunted in any nail infested areas, but this same principle ought to work in pull tab and bottle cap infestations.

The other day I was hunting in a similar situation, with DeLeon, finding nothing but a few zink. Lowered the gain from 10 down to 3, with threshold at 10:00. In my last 45 min I found a wheat, a junk children's ring, 4 dimes, a nickel and a quarter.
I have no idea why this suddenly worked, but it just did.

So I am thinking like settings on the Racer might be more sensitive to desirable targets too. Just maybe.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think what ever surrounds it overrides the processing at higher setting levels much like when ground signals start overwhelming target id at deepest depths, some detectors call it iron when its not. I don't pretend to know why either but have seen it work just as you said.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most, I've done some in ground tests , at different depths, and different sensitivity settings.
Yes, there is a difference in depth going from 10 down to 3, on the Deleon. But the difference is minimal.

I've found 3 silver dimes this year, my only silver coins. All were under 8".
The Deleon is great up to 7", 3-10 settings. I hunt very little in the red zone, too noisy in infested areas. Farm field okay.

I love my Red Racer, it's deeper than the Deleon, even in low sensitivity. I've found clad from 7" to 10".
But the DeLeon seems to love rings and stuff more.

While I've had success with the DeLeon anywhere in the 3-10 mark, I believe it's sweet spot is between 4-5.

I'm going on a 7 day vacation to the gulf Coast in October. Can't wait to settle the question, "does the Racer work on a salt water beach?"
The Deleon didn't work well, for me, in salty sand.

Just reread my post. Gosh guys, I sure like to ramble, don't I?

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your racer will work well in beach mode on the salty beaches. Enjoy your vacation!!!
Make sure you GB often especially between wet, dry sand and when you go under the water with the coil :-)

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope so, Stoof. From reviews, it seems you are correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread