ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Ace Apex;
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a small beach in Cape Cod this week. Covered the beach pretty thoroughly with my ATP yesterday. Seemed to GB fine on auto. Pretty noisy, but I discriminated out the junk and kept the sensitivity low, and found some good clad without digging too much junk.

Back at same beach today, and thought I'd try out the Tejón. It would not ground balance! The whole range of the knob was wayyy on the positive side. I really worked at it, and was ready to give up and go back for the ATP, but first I thought I'd see if it worked at all... scanned about five feet, and found a zincoln. Kept going, found more. Much quieter than the ATP, though slower (DD on the Garrett, 9x8 on the Tejón). I still found plenty, in spite of the machine being totally ground UNbalanced. Good deep signals, too. Found about 1/3 as much as I had with the ATP, going over the same ground. I did dig more bottle caps and pull tabs, but I was learning to recognize them by sound and thumbing the knob, and I mostly knew when it wasn't a coin.

I think the reason for the failure to GB is that this beach is on the marshy, bay side of the Cape. There's marsh grass all around, and on beaches like this, you often find wet pulpy decaying vegetation 6-12" under dry sand. The sand moves to cover the grass, and it decays, but holds salt water like a sponge. Good for the ATP that it wasn't bothered; and I'm not too surprised by the Tejón, given its legendary trickiness to GB. I thought it would be hard to do, and need a lot of touch-ups. But I didn't think it would be impossible! I did later shift to a beach that is pure, dry sand all the way down, and the Tejón balanced fine.

This isn't meant as a comparison, and I love both machines. I'm sure the ATP wasn't at fault for missing stuff, just me not overlapping enough. I'm just struck by how well the Tejón worked, even though I couldn't balance it properly. It helps me understand why people have so much success with Tesoros that have preset GB.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good hunt. Question for you, did you try gb with the pp trigger? As you may know, it is a fast retune where as in all metal is a slow go.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How deep was the sand on top of the marsh? Maybe it would balance if you turned down the sensitivity.

OP
OP
ArthurEvans

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good hunt. Question for you, did you try gb with the pp trigger? As you may know, it is a fast retune where as in all metal is a slow go.

Didn't try that. Does that make GB easier? I'm curious. I never have much luck with the PP anyway... I feel like I get closer on the disc circuit. But I'll try it for GB to see if it helps, thanks.

OP
OP
ArthurEvans

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep was the sand on top of the marsh? Maybe it would balance if you turned down the sensitivity.

It varies. Depending on where you dig, you might find it 4" down, or much more. It can be recent, still fibrous, or very old, like a layer of fine peat moss. The newer stuff seems to be worse. If it's close to the waterline and the tide comes in, it seems to create a lot of false signals... dig down and all you find is compost!

I did try turning down the sens as far as 7... didn't do much for the GB, unfortunately. Maybe more? Definitely had to lower the sens to cut down on phantom signals. Will try it next time, thanks.

Hit a different beach today. Same issues. Would only GB in a few areas. Still found deep stuff... mostly trash today, though!

Last edited:

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arthure, yes it is quite a bit faster and easier to gb using the pp instead of going into all metal. I also don't think I've ever used the pp function on any tesoros other than for gb.

OP
OP
ArthurEvans

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll try that ... and I'm glad it's not just me having trouble with the PP!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think on the F75 I have, it's a lot easier to ground balance at 50% gain iirc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread