Tesoro audio discrimination

Jun 6, 2018
Hertfordshire
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Laser Trident 2, Fisher F19
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iā€™ve been using Tesoro machines for about three years, i know that crackly audio often denotes iron for example, that a clipped beep can mean trash or possibly a larger iron target. Can anyone claim that they can discern between varying types of metal, say copper or lead, by a variance in the beep though? I can hear variances in the beep sometimes, other than those mentioned above, but i have not managed to assign these variances to anything, as yet. Possibly down to my low intelligence and sub goldfish levels of concentration, lol.

Any detailed replies would be greatly appreciated, i am a long term Tesoro fan, yes, even in the post Equinox world, so i want to fully master the Tesoro audio if i can. Any help from more experienced users would be ace...? Thanks.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell when i have a coin in the ground they have there own sound. Its kind of hard to describe try putting a few coins and some junk targets on the ground and just listen to the subtle beep sounds.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No one can actually tell you what to listen for, because your hearing is different from mine - or theirs. After 20-years with different Tesoro machines, I can call a pulltab 98% of the time. That means if I don't dig them, I'll miss two gold rings every 100 pull tabs. Experience is the ONLY teacher. Good luck and big gold!:skullflag:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I can call a pulltab 98% of the time. That means if I don't dig them, I'll miss two gold rings every 100 pull tabs. Experience is the ONLY teacher. Good luck and big gold!:skullflag:

I donā€™t think gold rings sound like pulltabs, but pulltabs are usually not hard to call with a louder, blaring and sort of scratchy sound. The couple gold rings Iā€™ve dug, sounded smooth and sweet (yes, only a couple). Silver nearly always sounds smooth and solid to me. Copper cents also smooth and solid, zincs sound nearly the same where I set my disc, maybe slightly more scratchy - sometimes theyā€™re pretty eaten away. Dimes do sound smaller than cents or quarters.
Steel bottlecaps will usually (not always) beep first swing then just click or stay quiet (when my disc is set before nickel with a concentric coil). Bigger nails are ā€˜bout the same there, small ones either click or donā€™t talk. Foil can be anywhere, from gone to scratchy to loud and solid, depending on how big and compact a foil ball is. Aluminum soda cans will most always be big blaring sound, and still beep with the coil held up higher off the ground. Bullet and shotgun shells can sometimes sound like good targets, depending on shape and orientation. Bullet lead can sound like small coins, but usually break up past the nickel setting.
The hot rocks I have around me will usually beep in disc with a sort of wah-wah sound, so when I hear that, I toggle to all-metal and swing. If a hot rock, the target will null instead of getting louder when approached. This probably only works with some types of hot rocks, ones that I think are really ā€œcoldā€ rocks.

Where I say something sounds scratchy or breaks up, is with my Outlaw or Bandido detectors using the concentric coils. Your results will likely be different, especially with something like a Tejon and a Widescan on it..

As Terry said, experience will teach you, and fairly quickly.
A good set of headphones and a concentric coil really helped me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tejon is sick right now / still debating on sending it in.

I hunt relics mostly with my Tejon (or did) but It got to where I could 'Subconsciously' get that feeling -from the sound every time I passed over a large caliber Minnie .

The other sounds gave me a good Idea of what was under the Coil.
(with the stock coil ).
GL

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In essence what these gents are trying to say is that with time and trying to learn, you will develop an ear for the variance in the "single tone" of Tesoros. It becomes second nature like going for the clutch when starting a stick shift or even driving the stick shift without concrete memory of having shifted on a trip.
Like muscle memory for your ears I guess.
I don't have all the language down but I will say coins have a "roundness" to the sound ironically. Haven't found enough gold to discern it very well. The few rings I've found I was digging almost everything and wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to be honest. Then when I saw the ring I was so excited I didn't even think of how it sounded. But in the end, trying to not dig certain trash will lead to lost treasure. Most the gold I've found I wouldn't have if I was trying to disc out foil and tabs.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might like this book ā€“ "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors" by C. Thorsten.

Start reading it for free: http://a.co/8m8xJdj

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could say that I can call it on 100% of the targets, I can't but, there are a lot of good tips already posted here on the sounds of good targets. I will say that the short feathered edge smooth signal is worth getting excited for. Also if you're not digging the deep old round pull tabs, you're leaving some good stuff behind. And yes, definitely read the ebook mastering the tejon and the vaquero. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread