Would the mojave be good for the beach

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just curious, what Khz does the Mojave run?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have a small budget.and my time ranger falses on the beach would the mojave do the same.

Yes it will, all single frequency detectors have the same issues with salt water because salt is a mineral and will cause noise, chatter and falsing on higher sensitivity settings.
Single frequency units can work quietly but you have to turn the gain/sense down low to get there and lose a lot of depth.
The Mojave has that hi/low mineralization switch but it is not a miracle worker and designed for dirt hunting, not beach hunting.
If you hunt the beach a lot, in the damp or wet sand or water, you either have to go multi freak or the PI route if you want to do it right and get the deepest.

If you only hunt the wet beach infrequently either use what you have or buy a Mojave if you want because it is a great detector that will find you a ton in dry sand or dirt but if you spend money on a new Mojave expecting way better performance at salt water beaches you will be disappointed.

The Mojave is a 12kHz machine.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Mojave can do pretty well on wet salt sand if you use the High mineralization setting. As digger27 pointed out, this is not a miracle setting, but I was surprised at how well the machine did when I tried it on the west coast. It was stable over the wet sand, and did find me a couple of old coins. I can't remember what I had the sensitivity set at but don't think I had to set it really low.

I doubt the Mojave would do so well if the sand is mineralized (e.g., black sand), but if you want to hunt non-mineralized sand that's just wet with salt water, it'll probably do OK.

-Ken

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just do it.:skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_183943.jpg
    IMG_20171017_183943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread