Compadre 8" vs the 5" Concentric on smaller items.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question that likely makes perfect sense that the 5" would be more sensitive in picking up smaller items such as bb if we were to compare to the 8" coil, but by how much in moderate to normal low iron soil conditions. Would an inch be too modest of a guess?

Is it true the original Compadre on the 5" coil was better on picking sensitive items then what is being used today? If yes how so.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you hunting just BBs? I think to the average not everyday weekend 3 hour treasure hunter it won't be a big difference. If you are talking about descrimating high tone targets from low tone I think its a good thing to dig the lows. Thats jewelry and gold. But i run a 9" coil all the time and really like it and I dig a lot of iffy signals. I wouldn't be splitting hairs over the 5 and the 8. Lots of luck.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I currently have the dd 11x8 black Vaquero along with the 5.75 concentric which I use mostly as it picks up just as deep on most items vs my dd. My 8" Compadre was a decision I went with because what I already had for coils on my V. If I was just out with Compadre instead without say my Vaquero setup, I wanted to verify if the "C" was going to be just as sensitive in picking up small gold jewerly as I would say with a 5.75 coil (which I don't have) if I had gone with this on the "C" vs next to my "V" 5.75" even if it is at a dif frequency. I imagine as you mentioned it would be not like splitting hairs here to matter. Thanks for your reply.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have both and I run the 5.75" in smaller areas with more junk to better discriminate and the 8" in larger areas with less junk. The 5.75 doesn't cover as much ground, and it may be in my head, but I feel like I'm getting more done with the 8 in bigger areas.
They both have their place :-)

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said Stefan.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have a question that likely makes perfect sense that the 5" would be more sensitive in picking up smaller items such as bb if we were to compare to the 8" coil, but by how much in moderate to normal low iron soil conditions. Would an inch be too modest of a guess?

Is it true the original Compadre on the 5" coil was better on picking sensitive items then what is being used today? If yes how so.

The "original" Compadre came with a 7" coil and that is the one I have.
Pretty sensitive, here is a bead from a tiny chain it easily found on my first hunt...that was the first time my jaw dropped using mine but not the last.

P1010844.jpg
P1010843.jpg

After that they changed to the 5.75" coil and eventually offered the 8" coil.
I tried one of the 8" coil units for two weeks when they came out.
I can't say I had any experience where I found anything this small with the 8" coil but it did find some pretty tiny targets pretty easily, lots of coins, and had all the same superpowers as mine does.
It could double beep on targets next to big metal, it could pick between trash in garbage infested areas easily and even tiny chains were no problem for this thing.
It seemed to go a bit deeper using that big coil straight out of the factory so that was cool, the trade off was the discrimination was just a tiny bit less than razor edge sharp...or it seemed that way to me.
Almost unnoticeable, really, I could because I had many hundreds of hours experience swinging the older one and by no means was this slight difference a deal breaker.
I just assumed it was the coil that made the difference so a decent trade off...a bit more depth for a little less sharpness in the disc.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah it was digger27 I remember reading now how similar the experience I had when swinging my Compadre 8" for the first time like you said as well it may have pixy dust or super powers. I experienced the same thing and what I found off the bat the tinniest obejects...almost like a magnet right away without any problems. Ok same experience, and imagine the Mojave users or others with their detectors they use may have experienced the same thing when first swinging.. no doubt.. glad to here and see this post again.

I thought I was the only one when comparing just the Compadre but both the last two replys from yourself and Stefen has helped me when deciding the junkie areas Im working to consider the disc next to tone offerings over the objects Im picking up where I hunt.

Thanks for explaining what you experienced as well from the old to the new coils as well. I can't recall reading that the orginal Compadre electoronic board was the same in the 7" as it is in hte 5.75 or 8" but imagine each machine is tuned to the coil which Tesoro does to each of there detectors prior to them going out, nonetheless just wondered about if it has the original board?

Cheers!

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen photos on the internet of two different Compadre boards, one for the older 7" and another for the newer 5 ½" and 8 inch. My Compadre has been modified to change coils and in extreme trash, the 4 inch coil, in my opinion, is outstanding. I have seen pictures of an extremely shortened (about 12 inch over all length) Compadre and 4 inch coil being used as a pinpointer in deeper and larger holes. Happy hunting and may God bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread