Mojave or Qutlaw ?

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Ok friends , since I got on late tonite I think it will be easier to find out the answer to this question ,,,Whats the difference between the Mojave and the Outlaw, I have an outlaw ,Was thinking about upgrading to an Mojave because of the reviews, On a different note im not worried about Tesoro , Theres other places that can repair Tesoros if needed 8-)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will not be "upgrading" from your Outlaw. The Outlaw is an overall better machine with the three-coil package. Put your small coil on your Outlaw and BAM! It's a Mojave!:occasion14:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok friends , since I got on late tonite I think it will be easier to find out the answer to this question ,,,Whats the difference between the Mojave and the Outlaw, I have an outlaw ,Was thinking about upgrading to an Mojave because of the reviews, On a different note im not worried about Tesoro , Theres other places that can repair Tesoros if needed 8-)

The Mojave does not have manual ground balance or the pinpoint feature. I like my Mojave, but I wish I would have spent a few extra bucks and got a Vaquero or Outlaw, just because I like the manual ground balance like my Tejon has.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the Outlaw, I would get a Vaquero. They go great together and if you know how to set up and use the outlaw, the Vaquero is very similar to set up and operate.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Outlaw is a killer machine in the parks, schools and play areas for coins and jewelry. :icon_thumleft: That machine will find the smallest jewelry pieces in Playground areas. :headbang:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so Terry the Terrible...What's the real difference between the Silver max and the Mojave. There's only $20 difference in price and 2 khz difference? Or am I REALLY showing my ignorance? I'm going to buy a used Mojave or Silver Max and I see where one has the high/low switch and the other doesn't. I'm probably gonna make some scratch their heads, but I figure if I go in and learn these machines and then want to move on to the Nox 800 or similar I'll be better experienced and have a decent back up to take for friends or family

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The silver max has an all metal mode switch on it, that you could probably use to help pinpoint targets. On another note,, the mojave pinpoints targets very well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, so Terry the Terrible...What's the real difference between the Silver max and the Mojave. There's only $20 difference in price and 2 khz difference? Or am I REALLY showing my ignorance? I'm going to buy a used Mojave or Silver Max and I see where one has the high/low switch and the other doesn't. I'm probably gonna make some scratch their heads, but I figure if I go in and learn these machines and then want to move on to the Nox 800 or similar I'll be better experienced and have a decent back up to take for friends or family

In Georgia, there is red clay, and other high mineral soils. You can't manually ground balance the Silver, or the Mojave. That means you lose sensitivity, and depth. The Mojave can shift into a factory preset ground balance for high mineral ground, and coupled with a slightly higher frequency, this gives it superior sensitivity to a depth of 7" or so over the Silver. Both machines lose to a Vaquero, which can be manually ground balanced. Remember, you can't switch coils on preset ground balance machines without tuning the coil to the machine. If you don't do this you'll never get the proper depth or sensitivity from the coil - Terry

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver max has an all metal mode switch on it, that you could probably use to help pinpoint targets. On another note,, the mojave pinpoints targets very well.

I have both Mojave and Silver and the all metal on Silver is motion. Really can't use to pinpoint.

titan 9000

Greenie
Jan 8, 2017
ohio
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola mod.;titan 9000;minelab xterra705 gold plus plugger straight rod 5 coils;nokta pointer;sunray pro gold headphones;sunspot scoop;whites digger',Fisher F-pulse pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding changing coils on preset gb machines. Does the coil have to be tuned when one has a modified cibola ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both Mojave and Silver and the all metal on Silver is motion. Really can't use to pinpoint.

Unless the modification was manual ground balance - yes, the coil should be tuned to the box or you lose depth and sensitivity.:skullflag:

OP
OP
reed88

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
​Gee remind me to not reply on here without first doing my research :) but thanks for yalls expert replies :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread