Electronic Gold Prospecting in Texas

TxCacheHunter

Sep 23, 2008
San Antonio, Texas Near Sea World
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Garrett 2500
From what I've read there isn't much if any gold nugget hunting in Texas. I'm not too far from Llano, but from what I've read in other posts there's not much there either except really small grains and flakes of gold. My question is where would I have to travel in the US from San Antonio, Texas, to get to a gold field where there is a good possibility of finding nuggets with a metal detector? I've seen several video's online of gold prospecting, but none said where they were.

Has anyone had luck hunting nuggets in Texas or any of the near by states? Where have you found nuggets?

Thanks!

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
TxCacheHunter said:
From what I've read there isn't much if any gold nugget hunting in Texas. I'm not too far from Llano, but from what I've read in other posts there's not much there either except really small grains and flakes of gold. My question is where would I have to travel in the US from San Antonio, Texas, to get to a gold field where there is a good possibility of finding nuggets with a metal detector? I've seen several video's online of gold prospecting, but none said where they were.

Has anyone had luck hunting nuggets in Texas or any of the near by states? Where have you found nuggets?

Thanks!

You'd likely have to go far west Texas, or New Mexico. I know there has been gold found in West texas.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Nuggets have actually been found in san antonio a few yrs back Llano is mostly real fine gold with a few pickers

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Check out some of the old Spanish silver mines dating back to the 1700's. There is a large one just North of Uvalde if I remember correctly that still produces a bit.

Also read the story of the Enchanted Rock, I used to rock climb there years back and heard a few stories of some wagons full of silver and gold buried near or around the rock. Its a great hike and view even if you don't actually climb.

Attachments

• enchantedparkdome2.jpg
    enchantedparkdome2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3,863
  • silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 1,344

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
new mexico would be the nearest place to find gold large enough to be found with a md, the llano area has mineralized material that can contain gold but it is fine to powder and is hard to separate from the black sand. whitt459

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Shaw said:
Check out some of the old Spanish silver mines dating back to the 1700's. There is a large one just North of Uvalde if I remember correctly that still produces a bit.

Also read the story of the Enchanted Rock, I used to rock climb there years back and heard a few stories of some wagons full of silver and gold buried near or around the rock. Its a great hike and view even if you don't actually climb.
Damn boy...shrink that picture! ;D

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Nogal, NM area has a little, the canyons emptying into Elephant Butte Lake has some too. If you want bigger nuggets the Bradshaw Mts from Prescott south to
near Phoenix have the most plentiful. However do not go without getting into a
gold prospecting club. Also if you do not have a gold VLF machine or PI you will
be wasting your time and money. Been there . . . lastleg

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Enchanted Rock is a beautiful sight but being a state park hunting is not allowed. :(

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
BigRon said:
Enchanted Rock is a beautiful sight but being a state park hunting is not allowed. :(

MDing is not allowed, Who says you cant just look around? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread