IF YOU HUNT PRIVATE SITES....................DO YOU DO RESEARCH OR DO YOU JUST..

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Re: IF YOU HUNT PRIVATE SITES....................DO YOU DO RESEARCH OR DO YOU JU

It is better than to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. :wink:

Thats a joke (kind of) but If I can get someone to let us hunt on a private property I much rather do that than hit areas that are frequently visited. Its a much more comfortable environment to hunt in. We had a great time a few weeks back just finding bullets on an old farm home that Susan hooked us up with.

Myleo (Susan) has a knack for that door knocking and phone calling.

Also if you carry a can of dark brown spray paint it makes the purple rings go away on trees ( I KID, I KID!) ;D

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Re: IF YOU HUNT PRIVATE SITES....................DO YOU DO RESEARCH OR DO YOU JU

Shaw said:

Thats a joke (kind of) but If I can get someone to let us hunt on a private property I much rather do that than hit areas that are frequently visited. Its a much more comfortable environment to hunt in. We had a great time a few weeks back just finding bullets on an old farm home that Susan hooked us up with.

Also if you carry a can of dark brown spray paint it makes the purple rings go away on trees ( I KID, I KID!) ;D

Hey J...I LOVE the paint idea....let's spread Shaw's words of advice all over Treasure Net!!!! ;D ;D ;D

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Depends on the sight I NEVER go on obvious private property without permission but I do go to construction sights or unknown owner sights(after trying to find out first).
Sometimes the only way to find the owner is to be on the place and parlay when/if he shows up (good luck with that).
Research first then if it looks to good to pass up well somtimes boots on the ground have to do.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

myelo1023 said:
Shaw said:

Hey J...I LOVE the paint idea....let's spread Shaw's words of advice all over Treasure Net!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I will be BANNED for life - I was kidding to by the way, here in Tx. people shoot first ask questions later!

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
............I may have been misunderstood! I never trespass(at least not in my golden years)!! If a site looks good the 1st try is usually knocking on doors....................If that doesn't work...........make a visit to the local school tax collectors office and they can tell you at least who is paying the taxes in................99.9% of the cases they are also the owners!!.................Now if this fails..................I can pass on this site and go to my next site! Now after saying this .........I always have several sites that I am looking at the same time................. so if one fails.................. ..I can just go to the next project!!..................I guess that most have not been stopped by an Officer of the Law .......it is usually not a good experience!!..................I try to carry at least a written permission letter on my person ........just in case I'm confronted by a so called D0-Gooder! If that is not possible, I usually write down the name of the person that gave me permission plus a contact phone number!!...........This all comes about due to many years of experience....................I don't care what the treasure may be it is not worth getting into trouble over! There are too many sites that are availble to get into.......... private and public!!................Now back to my original question.............I asked because I believe more quality finds are made on private homesites ....................the only exception would be for the beach hunters who are finding all of the gold and silver jewelry...........Joe

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Joe(TX) said:
............I may have been misunderstood! I never trespass(at least not in my golden years)!! If a site looks good the 1st try is usually knocking on doors....................If that doesn't work...........make a visit to the local school tax collectors office and they can tell you at least who is paying the taxes in................99.9% of the cases they are also the owners!!.................Now if this fails..................I can pass on this site and go to my next site! Now after saying this .........I always have several sites that I am looking at the same time................. so if one fails.................. ..I can just go to the next project!!..................I guess that most have not been stopped by an Officer of the Law .......it is usually not a good experience!!..................I try to carry at least a written permission letter on my person ........just in case I'm confronted by a so called D0-Gooder! If that is not possible, I usually write down the name of the person that gave me permission plus a contact phone number!!...........This all comes about due to many years of experience....................I don't care what the treasure may be it is not worth getting into trouble over! There are too many sites that are availble to get into.......... private and public!!................Now back to my original question.............I asked because I believe more quality finds are made on private homesites ....................the only exception would be for the beach hunters who are finding all of the gold and silver jewelry...........Joe

Nah, you weren't misunderstood, shaw and I were just having some fun at each others expense. We do NOT tresspass....or cover rings on trees. We ask permission or hunt public sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread