Historical Markers

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I dunno about Texas, but I've hunted some of the sites, that markers like that mark, here in CA, and never had a problem. Of course, I'm steering clear of obvious sensitive monuments and using some common sense ::) Some of the markers in CA are placed at locations marking private property. Like for example, outside the fence, on a country road, saying "on this site was such & such stage stop, blah blah blah". Now of course, the stage stop was within the fence of what is now a private yard, set back from the road, where the marker is. So in a case like that, the private property owner can do whatever the h*ck he wants, and say "yes" to someone who asks to enter his cow pasture or whatever. So I guess it kinda also depends on what the marker's mark, and who's the current owner of that property.

HHg in Austin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
Many State of Texas historical markers are on private property. As long as you have permission from the property owner, to detect on said private property, yes you can ! I have hunted many such sites, but always with owners permission.

Hope this helps !

HHg

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
As I understand it there is no 'public' property in Texas . The common courtesy of asking permission can gain you windfalls and friends .
Ignoring the above can get you legally shot ;D

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..........Just in case that you do not know...........at least in Texas.......a lot of the Historical Markers are in the wrong place........I mean it is probably close but a lot of the Roadside Markers and especially the Texas Centenial ones were done in a rush and a lot of them are actually just approximinations....................that is why for example..................... the Battle of Medina Hunt site's marker is close but I can guarantee you that no cannonball or other type of artifacts were found around the marker.......................that is why it is called Treasure Hunting and not Treasure Found.........Joe

OP
OP
Big B

Big B

Jul 28, 2009
Dublin, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks for all of the replies. You all make good points about private property, etc. I fully understand those things and appreciate the input.

I have looked at hunting some local schools that are on the site of an old school (pre-1900) with a historical marker in place. Just wanted to make sure that the historical marker didn't make those sites off limits.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Barry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions