The Battle Of Medina - an invitation to solve a mystery!

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Im thinking of taking my camper to the camp ground thats close to there and would def like someone to go in halves with me It has 3 beds

Dig'n Bandera

Jul 9, 2007
Lakehills, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and my old BH Prospector DX as a backup!
I'm in. I'll be cruzin' with the TXBLUZMAN. Marc...I'll sport one of those fancy hats if you send a few!

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
TNet is all over this one. It would be awsome if we do find the battle sight. I'm coming from the Houston area. See you all there!

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Marc, my wife and i live in San Antonio. that would be a great experience trying to locate that battle. We would be interested in the event, just let us know.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
If it is going to materialize, please keep me in mind! I would definately make arrangements to come hunt!
Baggins

Ridge Runner

Greenie
Jan 18, 2008
This battle has been research and a book has been written on it.A friend of mine help with the detector hunting part of it and he think's in was in the late 1990's.He's going to look for the book so he can give me the author's name.He did say it hadn't been long ago that he was ask to go again.
I'll get back with you on the subject later when I got a name.
Chuck

Ridge Runner

Greenie
Jan 18, 2008
The book that was written on this was in 1986 called Forgotten Battles of Texas Revolution.The author was Robert H. Thonhoff and research was done by Ted Schwarz.
Someone years ago had found bones of some of the fallen and mark a tree with a white cross.My friend and the author reseacher found the cross. He found the book that Robert Thonhoff had given him and my friend's name in also in the book.
The Mexican burial place is on the south side of San Antonio.I'm going to get the book this week from him and I'll be more informed on the subject.Have fun I hope you get to see what you locate for them.
Chuck

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
A few more days and we'll be there! For you guys/gals coming from out of town: The forecast calls for nasty/cold/rainy weather all week in San Antonio. The forecast for Saturday is 47 in the morning, 64 in the evening, and lots of sunshine! Hopefully this rain will soften up the concrete ground I've been encountering around town lately. See you there.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
There should be a pretty big turn out, Glad to hear about the weather, I'll be there, any one else other than bluzman.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I'm still in at the moment. Hopefully nothing will deter that and I will see you all there. I'm coming down from the Houston area. Might just drive in that morning. How many T-Netters are joining the expedition?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Getting close so far I count 4 confirmed Treasure netters going, Cooltone23, Txbluzman,Dignbandara and myself, (my daughter has voluentered to come along with me to take pics) I'll be sporting a treasure net cap please Introduce yourself to my daughter Julie and I.
Texan connection, Albert

Attachments

• 100_0060.JPG
    100_0060.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 7,972

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Just found this thread. @#$%! On Saturday my wife and I are meeting with a realtor less than 50 miles from where ya'll will be. I guess I'll have to be there in spirit only.

Happy Hunting!

1960Texan

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Sounds good. Hopefully the weather will clear up. Emailed Dan Arellanos and it's still a go. Getting anxious for Saturday.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
The weather seems to be clearing up in San Antonio today. It was pretty nasty yesterday / last night / and this morning. Forecast calls for clearning skies and warmer temps on Saturday. Should be a good day. See you at the meeting spot. I'm bringing DignBandera with me.

Jason

Dig'n Bandera

Jul 9, 2007
Lakehills, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and my old BH Prospector DX as a backup!
TEXAN Connection said:
Getting close so far I count 4 confirmed Treasure netters going, Cooltone23, Txbluzman,Dignbandara and myself, (my daughter has voluentered to come along with me to take pics) I'll be sporting a treasure net cap please Introduce yourself to my daughter Julie and I.
Texan connection, Albert

Hey Albert,

I like those TNet hats!! Do they all come with antlers or did you have that one custom meade? ;)

Jeff

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
The medina hunt was alot of fun and the when we pulled up I just knew instantly that this had to be the sight, I pressed my hand aginst the window of the jeep, and I was convinced......as I could feel the payne... ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Ok corny joke.
Actually I am sorry to report nothing indicating this to be the sight was found, about the only thing possible to the time period were a couple low caliber balls.
Alot, and I mean alot of bullets were found. No real old coins were reported either.
It was not really prime hunting conditions (though the weather was perfect). The grass was to thick, but even so if it were the field someone would have found a clue, as there were about 30 detectors there.
My top finds were 2 henry rifle cartridges.I dont think anything predated that.
We left around 2, so unless something else developed after I left, thats all I know of.
The local media was there and the hunt was well done and everyone behaved.
The lost battle of medina remains lost...... for now.

Attachments

• 100_0062.JPG
    100_0062.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 7,761
  • 100_0065.JPG
    100_0065.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 7,757
  • 100_0068.JPG
    100_0068.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 7,741
  • 100_0061.JPG
    100_0061.JPG