Case Study: Selling Paintings: Ebay vs. Auction House

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I'll share this.

A couple months back I picked up two paintings by a named artist (based on reading stories here!). Finding past sales to value them with was difficult -- some real low, some high-- because everything is in the eye of the beholder.

I sent pics to several auction houses and dealers and asked them for an auction evaluation. Some said the value was under $1000, so thanks but they'd pass. But these were paintings of Texas and I found a Texas auction house that wanted them and gave me an estimate of $600-$900 each. This was consistent with what a dealer had told me, but he said he'd pass at the moment.

I put both paintings on ebay for $1000 or best offer, and sold one quickly for $750, which was exactly in the middle of the auction estimate. Figure 15% for ebay and paypal, so I netted $640 or so.

The second painting got no action. I lowered my price to $900 but would go no further because I knew I'd be selling it at auction and I didn't want to drive the market down.

I sent it to the auction house. It sold Saturday for $900, netting me about $650 after their 25% commission and the cost of shipping it to them.

The auction house was easy to work with, I didn't have to worry about returns, and they sold my second-best painting for more than my best painting brought on ebay.

Your mileage may vary.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crapshoot. I have heard of auctions where items sold for far less than estimates. It has got to be a good auction house.

OP
OP
P

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this was a major regional auction house. A real crapshoot would be a 0.99 ebay auction lol

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a good auction house nearby, I wholeheartedly recommend them over ebay. Sounds like you did good!

OP
OP
P

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a good auction house nearby, I wholeheartedly recommend them over ebay. Sounds like you did good!

Thanks! Yes, the second painting got no action on ebay, so it was either wait months or move that sucker. The quick nickel was the same as the slow dime, lol

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did quite well at 215 times your money back. I'd take that investment any day of the week. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions