Cheapest pocket watch yet, 1879 Elgin railroad grade!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this earlier today for $13!!!! That's the cheapest I have ever paid for a pocket watch. It's a grade 69 Elgin from 1879 15 jewel railroad watch. Rough looking but will clean up very nicely. It was the first watch grade Elgin ever produced. Mine is bit later than when they started manufacturing them but it is still the first grade Elgin made. Believe it or not but back in 1879 this watch was $115 which is $2,600 today. Great watch, looking forward to seeing it run again.
20170709_172901_resized.jpg 20170709_172916_resized.jpg 20170709_172948_resized.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good buy. Is the dial free of any hairline cracks? I've got a similar Elgin that's a stem wind that my dad had in a drawer and I can only guess it came down his side of the family, as I never got the story on it. It's in poor shape with a busted balance staff and cracked dial. The back cover got jacked up by me, because I thought you'd pry it off when I was maybe 13 years old. I later figured out they unscrew... Duh.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good buy. Is the dial free of any hairline cracks? I've got a similar Elgin that's a stem wind that my dad had in a drawer and I can only guess it came down his side of the family, as I never got the story on it. It's in poor shape with a busted balance staff and cracked dial. The back cover got jacked up by me, because I thought you'd pry it off when I was maybe 13 years old. I later figured out they unscrew... Duh.

Shame on you Tamrock!!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this earlier today for $13!!!! That's the cheapest I have ever paid for a pocket watch. It's a grade 69 Elgin from 1879 15 jewel railroad watch. Rough looking but will clean up very nicely. It was the first watch grade Elgin ever produced. Mine is bit later than when they started manufacturing them but it is still the first grade Elgin made. Believe it or not but back in 1879 this watch was $115 which is $2,600 today. Great watch, looking forward to seeing it run again.
View attachment 1470365 View attachment 1470366 View attachment 1470367

She is a beautiful old Watch! Definitely going to need a hairspring. Looks like it would be a fun project with great satisfaction if you can get it running again! Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread