Need some advice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Need some advice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4,816
    4606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Need some advice

    I made a post a couple months ago about opening up a booth inside of an antique mall. Iíve been super busy working there and Iíve done pretty well the first couple months. Fast forward to last month and my check bounced when I got it. I got another one and it went through. This month I go to cash my check and they turned me away due to lack of funds.

    We get an email saying that everything should be sorted out by the end of October. To please work with them and they will get everything squared away. Theyíve been in business for 20 yrs, just new to our location. With that being said what would you guys do? Pull everything and walk away or give it time to work itself out? Thereís a possibility that one day the doors could be locked Iím sure. Our area is very seasonal and that starts soon.

    Iím not really sure what to do. This place has really good potential but rubber checks were not part of my dream either.
    Nitric likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    Jul 2018
    Pearland, TX
    CTX 3030
    47
    86 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Waiting a week is understandable but waiting a month to be paid is unacceptable and foolish.

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,716
    6125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A thought...They have been in business for 20 years? And this is what's happening? I'd be nervous!

    That's a tough one. I'd at least pull the best stuff if you plan to wait it out and see. They should also go above and beyond making that bounced check right!!!!

    If I understand your post right..Their check hasn't been good twice? But you did get the first checks money eventually? That's a real bad sign!! They aren't financially stable. I understand when a business is starting times get tough, but someone established, that is just giving you "your" money minus rent and their percentage and bouncing is real bad news in my mind. Also, as your saying..if this is happening before the slow season is an even worse sign.

    Added...After reading your above post again...It also says they should have it sorted out by the end of OCT? Dude...Get out! There are other malls! There are other outlets that will cost you less to sell. Add up your time,cost of items,rent,percentage, etc...If your still making money? Is it worth the risk of losing what you've already sold? Or what's in the cases?

    I've never heard of such practices...If established and in good standing with the bank? They could have had that sorted out in a couple days. They are floating money. They don't have "your" money from your items now! Your loaning them money!
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:37 AM.
    Drmad7 likes this.

  4. #4

    Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4,816
    4606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    A thought...They have been in business for 20 years? And this is what's happening? I'd be nervous!

    That's a tough one. I'd at least pull the best stuff if you plan to wait it out and see. They should also go above and beyond making that bounced check right!!!!

    If I understand your post right..Their check hasn't been good twice? But you did get the first checks money eventually? That's a real bad sign!! They aren't financially stable. I understand when a business is starting times get tough, but someone established, that is just giving you "your" money minus rent and their percentage and bouncing is real bad news in my mind. Also, as your saying..if this is happening before the slow season is an even worse sign.

    Added...After reading your above post again...It also says they should have it sorted out by the end of OCT? Dude...Get out! There are other malls! There are other outlets that will cost you less to sell. Add up your time,cost of items,rent,percentage, etc...If your still making money? Is it worth the risk of losing what you've already sold? Or what's in the cases?

    I've never heard of such practices...If established and in good standing with the bank? They could have had that sorted out in a couple days. They are floating money. They don't have "your" money from your items now! Your loaning them money!
    I pulled all my Sterling today. I had a lot of it there.
    This is the 2nd month of bad checks. Did get the 1st one cashed but it took a couple days.

    I guess what happened is the dad passed away and Family took over. And now it looks like a mess. Its kinda expensive there I think and rent suppose to go up too. Time spent is crazy. Plus fees and expenses. Heck made more on ebay this week then all last month.

    The whole floating money thing is an eye-opener. Never thought of it that way. But thats whats going on id say. Thats when I can cash my check I bet. When next months rent is paid.
    Nitric likes this.

  5. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,716
    6125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachkid23 View Post
    I pulled all my Sterling today. I had a lot of it there.
    This is the 2nd month of bad checks. Did get the 1st one cashed but it took a couple days.

    I guess what happened is the dad passed away and Family took over. And now it looks like a mess. Its kinda expensive there I think and rent suppose to go up too. Time spent is crazy. Plus fees and expenses. Heck made more on ebay this week then all last month.

    The whole floating money thing is an eye-opener. Never thought of it that way. But thats whats going on id say. Thats when I can cash my check I bet. When next months rent is paid.
    That could go a couple ways after the passing of the Dad. I'm going to say that 8 times out of 10 the business starts going down hill, that I've seen. That may not be the case here. But a lot of times when the kids take over they just don't have the same drive or knowledge, self discipline as Dad and things fade pretty quickly. Not always, but I've been in too many bad situations and lost money. I try to look for the worst and hope for the best. Just in case. I may be looking at it all wrong and too negative too!!
    Drmad7 and Beachkid23 like this.

  6. #6

    Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4,816
    4606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    That could go a couple ways after the passing of the Dad. I'm going to say that 8 times out of 10 the business starts going down hill, that I've seen. That may not be the case here. But a lot of times when the kids take over they just don't have the same drive or knowledge, self discipline as Dad and things fade pretty quickly. Not always, but I've been in too many bad situations and lost money. I try to look for the worst and hope for the best. Just in case. I may be looking at it all wrong and too negative too!!
    I think youíre pretty spot on. I canít cash a check for $700. That was supposed to be available the 15th. Thank you very much for your time on this! Iíve been on here for a couple yyears and Iíve always gotten good advice. again I appreciate everything!

  7. #7
    us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    3,784
    4721 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    It could be that the funds are tied up in the fatherĎs estate. That being said Iím not so confident on the second generation making it work. If they are not upfront with whatís going on then I think itís time to look elsewhere
    Beachkid23 likes this.

  8. #8
    us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    2,865
    1858 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    We had an auction house here that was really good. They bought a new (well different anyway) building and within months people started getting shafted on their checks. Same thing, they promised it was temporary. It wasn't.
    Beachkid23 likes this.

  9. #9
    us
    Nov 2009
    1,342
    1221 times
    A check that was a few days late due to death of the owner is understandable. A second one is a sign of worse things. If I had to guess the deceased had a cash cushion to smooth out cash flow issues. Without that cushion the business will continue to go down hill.

    I was somewhat surprised when you opened a booth. I had one myself in the past. That's how I started out. Once I started selling on eBay I found I could get more money for my items. I kept the booth to sell things that came from bulk buys that weren't really suited for eBay sale due to size or low margin. Then I realized that booth rent was a higher % of sales than eBay fees & I was spending a crap ton of time working the booth. Once I figured that out I closed the booth.
    Nitric likes this.

  10. #10

    Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4,816
    4606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by trdhrdr007 View Post
    A check that was a few days late due to death of the owner is understandable. A second one is a sign of worse things. If I had to guess the deceased had a cash cushion to smooth out cash flow issues. Without that cushion the business will continue to go down hill.

    I was somewhat surprised when you opened a booth. I had one myself in the past. That's how I started out. Once I started selling on eBay I found I could get more money for my items. I kept the booth to sell things that came from bulk buys that weren't really suited for eBay sale due to size or low margin. Then I realized that booth rent was a higher % of sales than eBay fees & I was spending a crap ton of time working the booth. Once I figured that out I closed the booth.
    Yeah isnít that the truth. I saw (what I thought was) a golden opportunity to make some extra money in whatever. But itís turned into a project. I made more on eBay last week that I made in the last month at this other place. I guess I tried to grow bigger and get into different things but Iím seeing itís too big of a project as well.

  11. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

    May 2012
    12,536
    19854 times
    Well , firstly ; congrats on trying something different.
    That took ambition. You gained exposure too. IF customers can find you and your listings it might be worth it.

    Now though I'm less easily riled up with age ,this bouncing check thing is not good.
    Time was an employer did not have funds to cover my check.
    Once is one thing. The second time the bank turned me away my employer and I had a talk.
    Look I said ,this does not make either of us look good.
    Why send me to the bank when there are no funds in the account?
    From then on I took cash in such events .

    My first thought reading your original post was ,what about interest on your delayed funds. But that is not really changing much ,or amounting to much.
    My second thought was , why should you pay rent in good faith?

    Likely multiple fumbles going on during transition ,but my biggest concern would be if the shop was going to continue at all ,and then will the party involved have their head on straight.

    Regardless ,you tried it and can take the concept anywhere if you so desire.
    Again ,kudos for trying. How else would you know if the experience was worth it? Or if it appealed to you enough financially to continue.
    Sometimes the risks we sit , vs those we take leave us wondering years later if we tried enough...

    An very small old bank catches my eye each time it sells. For a non internet storefront it has appeal. And as a bonus that big safe could babysit valuables after hours.
    Traffic is too light though. And is in a low per capita income area. I do like the area ,but not it's potential.
    Internet sales have affected many brick and mortar joints except for some limited very high shopper foot traffic areas.
    If it can be shipped ...It can often be sold.

    Good luck (you make your own though) in your endeavors.
    Beachkid23 and SDIceMan like this.

  12. #12

    Mar 2008
    Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600
    414
    325 times
    If this is a hobby and just some side money, just stick it out another month or so. If you are dependent on the money in any way, shape or form, seek shelter elsewhere.

  13. #13
    us
    Nov 2009
    1,342
    1221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachkid23 View Post
    Yeah isn’t that the truth. I saw (what I thought was) a golden opportunity to make some extra money in whatever. But it’s turned into a project. I made more on eBay last week that I made in the last month at this other place. I guess I tried to grow bigger and get into different things but I’m seeing it’s too big of a project as well.
    I hear ya on the growth aspect. My ability to obtain inventory in my small area limits my eBay business. My only options are to travel elsewhere for inventory or somehow branch out. I've found that traveling for inventory is so hit or miss that it's not worth the time/expense. So far I haven't hit on any consistent way to reliably grow my business into other areas.
    Nitric likes this.

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,716
    6125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by trdhrdr007 View Post
    I hear ya on the growth aspect. My ability to obtain inventory in my small area limits my eBay business. My only options are to travel elsewhere for inventory or somehow branch out. I've found that traveling for inventory is so hit or miss that it's not worth the time/expense. So far I haven't hit on any consistent way to reliably grow my business into other areas.
    I understand what your saying. Over the years I've dabbled in just about every direction. The best thing that worked, was a small store front with advertising but to get to the level to pump enough advertising to bring the stuff in any volume is expensive.That was with coins and jewelry, along with other collectables mixed in, in an awesome location. That takes huge money to keep it going you have to move volume. Right now..I'm working out of a garage in an area where I know? No one! hahaha Starting from scratch again! Trying a little of everything.

    Ebay, is the best option I've found so far! Move the real junk, or big stuff at the flea market. Even that is tough here. I'm in a no money area. We found that if you show up every week people start walking past, if you show up once every 4 weeks? They flock to see what you have since your not the regular.

    I tried the antique mall thing for a short time years back in a good area. By the time you pay rent, pay percentage,tax,travel back and forth,time, theft, etc..We didn't really make enough to keep doing it. One piece stolen wipes out days or a month of profit

    I hate Ebay, but it's been a solid, cheap, ok option. until...you can get to that next level.

    Ohh! And don't buy into the whole pallet thing and how much money you can make!! You can, but it's hit and miss and averages out to about $0.... The only guy making money is the guy selling the pallets.
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 27, 2018 at 03:19 PM.
    releventchair and Beachkid23 like this.

  15. #15
    us
    Apr 2014
    Midwest
    937
    1182 times
    Thrift Stores/Ebay
    My very first thought after ďtheyíve been in business over 20 yearsĒ was, family members are taking over and itís a mess. And it will take a long time to recover. Iíd move.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on MD
    By Customx_12 in forum Clubs & Hunts - California
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 06, 2013, 11:43 PM
  2. need some advice
    By mad.co.walker in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec 01, 2010, 12:31 AM
  3. Need some advice
    By DollarDigger in forum Teknetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2010, 07:19 PM
  4. Need some advice please.
    By JD-GA in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2010, 12:44 PM
  5. Advice
    By lupillopreciado in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0