Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By tamrock
  • 2 Post By JimDon
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 1 Post By JimDon
  • 1 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 2 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 1 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 3 Post By tamrock

Thread: Watches from the space age.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Watches from the space age.

Today had time to do a little looking at a church thrift store. Checking out the jewelry I ask why is it I only see watches every now and then. One lady giggled and the other said you want watches we've got some watches for you today. She told me to take a seat on a couch in the store and brought out a tub full watches. It had to weigh 10 lbs. It was all mostly modern crap, but I sat there and combed through it all and found these. The Benus is all original with signed band, but it's an electro-mechanical which I know might be a bit temperamental. Giving it a shake the second hand does move forward and the battery hasn't bleed. I really never knew Armitron was even around during the LED era, but that's what I got. The back says the case is Swiss made, so I'm thinking it either has a Texas instrument processor or one from Japan.? I do have an interest in the timeline of the man's wristwatch and these certainly have their place in that transition of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190429_160938.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	1707908  

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    4366 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    The Benrus is awesome. Luv the styling .
    tamrock and Kray Gelder like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    It is cool looking. It's called the Citation. As-is it's maybe worth $30 to $40. Fixed up one I saw sold for around $140.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    4366 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I’d buy it. I might give it a try. Pm me if interested.
    tamrock likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5358 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ground control to Major Tom.
    tamrock likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDon View Post
    I’d buy it. I might give it a try. Pm me if interested.
    Thanks JD, but running or not it goes into the collection for now, as I'm just hoarding away vintage wristwatches for who knows how long.? I just feel they're so rare to come by anymore, due to the online Renaissance we've entered. So sad for the ones I sold when I went to selling on eBay in the 1990s Got good money for them though still they're gone

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Ground control to Major Tom.
    I remember my dad bought an LED when they first came out. He didn't sport it very long before it went into his sock drawer. Pushing the button to check the time and then forgetting what it said just wasn't very practical. I got it for a while and used it until the battery's went dead and can't recall what happened to it. It was made by Bulova and probably worth $200. today.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    24234 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice finds!
    Kray Gelder and tamrock like this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5358 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    I remember my dad bought an LED when they first came out. He didn't sport it very long before it went into his sock drawer. Pushing the button to check the time and then forgetting what it said just wasn't very practical. I got it for a while and used it until the battery's went dead and can't recall what happened to it. It was made by Bulova and probably worth $200. today.
    I remember the 70's red LED number craze. They were attempting to put them to all kinds of uses.
    tamrock likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I remember the 70's red LED number craze. They were attempting to put them to all kinds of uses.
    The Benrus runs, but the rotating bezel is stuck with some gummed up looking gunk. I put two new batteries in the LED and it lite-up for only a second and now I get nothing out of it. It was only 3 bucks and being the Benrus was only 5 bucks I guess I can't complain.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    17075 times
    I finally found the right 340/343 battery at Batteries Plus for the Benrus electric. I cleaned it up some and it ran just fine, so far today. Its a pretty high beat ticker. Wish I could show the movement, but it comes through the front out the crystal and that's not something I should attempt to try and do. I did find a post where someone who appears they know what they're doing completely overhauled one https://blog.noq2.net/benrus-electronic-citation.html. I've got a total of around $13.00 in to it along with some effort on my end to spiffy it up some. I'd say it now a $125.00 watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190514_194211.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1712606  
    Drmad7, Saabman and Rodbuster209 like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links