Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all, just grabbed this at the good will. Anyone know the hallmarks? It's darker in person, lots of tiny dings and wear look old to me. But the 92% doesn't seem like an old mark that was used? The last flower/clover pic is of the inside. The hallmarks are on the bottom.
If not old, oh well. It will be for some detecting finds, lead bullets perhaps. 20190425_071734.jpg 20190424_210837.jpg 20190424_180834.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe used for tobacco? I'm thinking it could be mid to late 19th century. Maybe 1870-ish ??

OP
OP
Nick79

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I should have threw in the measurements. It is 4" wide and 6"high

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I should have threw in the measurements. It is 4" wide and 6"high
Well I don't know a lot about pewter and almost never buy it because of my lack of knowledge. I did buy these old French measuring cups and was surprised to find how old they were when I posted them in the - What is it - I still have them and figured they're almost to heavy to sell online. Once, I did sell a pewter mug and the gal that bought it sent me a note asking I not delay the shipping as she purchased it as an accessory for her pirate costume as she had an up coming Halloween party to attend. I thought it was an antique, but whatever the reason I wanted a profit out of it and it was a week before Halloween when the auction ended. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/541857-old-pewter-measure-cups-france-age.html

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I collect old pewter and I believe that has some age to it. The hallmarks are European probably German or Austrian. Maybe French. I’m pretty sure the 92% mark is later. Like an assay mark.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not an old item, I think less than 30 years. Old pewter never had any % marks.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's probably no earlier than the 50s and most recent pewter pieces I've seen is made in the old styles, except for some modernist Scandinavian pewter. From what I've found the % is the claimed content of tin in the mix. I did see some pewters with the 92% mark claiming to be made in the 1930s. I can't find anything really old mark with a %, but some from the 19th C did have just a 92.

If anything tin does have a scrap value. You can buy this 1 pound ingot for $20.99 https://www.rotometals.com/tin-ingo...MI39LUp8_u4QIV1LbACh0b0A_5EAQYASABEgIUmPD_BwE

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rose and angel with trumpet are older marks. Without having it in front of me, I still feel that the 92% mark is a newer mark placed over the older one. The color of the piece to me looks to have some significant age. It takes years for pewter to oxidize to that dull flat gray. Again, without seeing it in front of me, I’m going to say 1830’s-50’s.

OP
OP
Nick79

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The rose and angel with trumpet are older marks. Without having it in front of me, I still feel that the 92% mark is a newer mark placed over the older one. The color of the piece to me looks to have some significant age. It takes years for pewter to oxidize to that dull flat gray. Again, without seeing it in front of me, I’m going to say 1830’s-50’s.
That's what made me think it was old first. It was nice and dark. But yes the 92% made me second guess it. Either way I'm using it as a container. My aunt collects old pewter and said not old, try again haha. The newer pewter I've seen says pewter. That's why I was hoping late 19th century

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions