ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'Dad hits Rare Saxon Find.........

After Cru'dad dropped me off early yesterday to do the family thing, he scouted out some land in the last hour of light.

We have tried for some time to get on this land, but its been fairly well done over the years & the farmer took some time to trust us. However this is now our first chance to do it.

The ariel shot of this field is by far the best in all the land we have. Its well defended on a steep hill & I thought by the random lay out of the field boundries that it was Iron Age. However Cru'dad's find last night may indicate a Saxon homestead/small village.

In his usual way, he handed me the 'junk' he found & said the most interesting thing was the 'footy' thingy (meaning the foot of something unknown). What he meant was the fragment of a Saxon Sword Pommel. :o Saxon in our area is extremely rare & this early-middle Saxon (circa 8th Century) find is very exciting.(to me anyway!)

I will be taking days off this week to investigate further!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 709
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: Cru'Dad hits Rare Saxon Find.........

nice footy thing :D

that arial photo is amazing, real time team stuff :thumbsup: any chance i could get a job at your place?

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

WTG..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can not wait for more photographs of further finds.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 468
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 473

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's awesome Crusader...I really don't think that many on this side of the pond can appreciate the significance of this find. A friend of mine found a rare Saxon strap end which is now in the British museum...the significance is in determining that a civilization may have been in an area that they should not have been...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
Are those linear lighter colored areas to the left of the drainage feature significant?

No not really, that's just where the crop didn't grow

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Congratulations to your Dad. I always enjoy reading your posts and looking at your finds.

KG6YLL

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Cru'dad (do you ever read these posts Cru'dad? Never seen answers from you!).... great find, very nice. Any thing Saxon is always a great find. Cru, I will be waiting for more details and your research results! When are you going to outdo your Cru'dad?

BTW, which photo are you talking about Shaun? I do not see an arial photo at all, only one of the pommel in the post.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

woody50 said:
Wow Cru'dad (do you ever read these posts Cru'dad? Never seen answers from you!).... great find, very nice. Any thing Saxon is always a great find. Cru, I will be waiting for more details and your research results! When are you going to outdo your Cru'dad?

BTW, which photo are you talking about Shaun? I do not see an arial photo at all, only one of the pommel in the post.

Cru'dad doesn't post. I post our joint finds.

See day 1 & 2 of hill top field.

I will send the picture that I took off here.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

BTW, which photo are you talking about Shaun? I do not see an aerial photo at all, only one of the pommel in the post.

OK, sorry that Cru'dad does not post. Would like to read his ideas about things also. I really like your relation with Cru'dad, i don't mean that you are his son, but what I mean about sharing things, like your hobby. It was really great to see you both searching side by side and chatting away :occasion14:, and the jumping up and down in unison :blob10: :blob10: when one of you found a nice find was great too, looked sort of like those girls in the swimming pool during the Olympics, they were also in sync!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

BTW, which photo are you talking about Shaun? I do not see an aerial photo at all, only one of the pommel in the post.

OK, sorry that Cru'dad does not post. Would like to read his ideas about things also. I really like your relation with Cru'dad, i don't mean that you are his son, but what I mean about sharing things, like your hobby. It was really great to see you both searching side by side and chatting away :occasion14:, and the jumping up and down in unison :blob10: :blob10: when one of you found a nice find was great too, looked sort of like those girls in the swimming pool during the Olympics, they were also in sync!

woody, i thought that too! but i think it was only the matching leotards that made it seem that way :D

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

That is a cool find. Once again you have shown us another beautiful piece of ancient history 8)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

woody, i thought that too! but i think it was only the matching leotards that made it seem that way :D

Jeez Shaun, I completely forgot about the leotards, they sure looked funny in them!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

Jeez Shaun, I completely forgot about the leotards, they sure looked funny in them!

didn't really go with the boots did they? :D

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

No not really. You do mean the high heel spike ones don't you?

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used

woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
woody50 said:
CRUSADER said:
woody50 said:

No not really. You do mean the high heel spike ones don't you?

yeah! typical of metal detecting in england, allways wear the high healed boots before lunch! its all a bit stuffy really but thats england ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions