Dug a German 1 Pfennig 189?

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
Had to show this one more as a testament to what a Boiling Peroxide bath can do for an old encrusted Greenie coin than the coin itself. Unfortunately this coin is still a dog after the bath.

This coin came from a small area where I have been digging Musket balls and 1800's Pfennig coins. In addition to this coin today I dug another musket ball and two pieces of silver jewlery (seperate post) that i believe match the period of the coins and lead.
Before
DSCN3234.JPG
before
DSCN3235.JPG
after
DSCN3248.JPG
after
DSCN3249.JPG

Upvote 0

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
nice old coin,but take a hint from a guy(namely me ),dont boil that peroxide.Ive ruined a few good coins already. Use it cold and leave it soak for a couple of days instead.Change the HP after 24 hours.Another point,when your drying your coin off just simply press down on it with a paper towel or a clean rag.Dont ever wipe it as it may be very easily ruined. :tongue3:

repairman65

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2008
Nice coins Joe, When you come back We can try the electrolysis on them. I have been having good luck cleaning some of my coins. Remind me to tell you what happens when one leaves the transformer on for a couple of hours.

Dad

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can almost plan on finding a 1 Pfennig every time I go out and strangely, I have hundreds dated 1875. HH and good luck, Mike

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Bavaria Mike said:
I can almost plan on finding a 1 Pfennig every time I go out and strangely, I have hundreds dated 1875. HH and good luck, Mike

Hi, Mike, what about 1873 or 1877? :) Mintage of 1 pfennig in 1875 was total about 150000000, it is definitely too much :)

HH

Sand

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I´ve got tons of them too. Best bet is Olive Oil, sometimes takes months, but is a very gentle way to clean them.
The zinc ones are the worst, I soak them in Olive Oil, then eventually get round to a wire brush on the Dremel.
It´s the only way to clean those ones, and they´re worth nothing anyway, but are nice just to show people.

Mike, you getting back up this way anytime ? Got about 4 from the bases now (New guys), plus Pat of course
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread