Walking Liberty Half Dollar!!

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
This was my 3rd time out with the Explorer 2... Temperatures in the mid 20's... I got a signal under a scrubby looking tree, and the explorer was screaming SILVER. The depth was about 9.5" and my newly aquired sunray probe helped me a bundle here. I waited until I got home to clean it rather than rub it in the field since I wasnt sure what I had.

This is a first for me (half dollar). It's a 1942p and it looks like someone holed it and had it on a chain. I tried finding the chain but no luck.

I also managed to snap my steel digger right in half.. something I attribute to the semi frozen ground and the temperatures. Other than that I found alot of pop tops half cans and memorial cents.

Attachments

• half dollar front.jpg
    half dollar front.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 500
  • half dollar back.jpg
    half dollar back.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 496
  • half dollar digger.jpg
    half dollar digger.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 507
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

They were holding onto that one for dear life.

HH Jer

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Good determination battling that kind of temp! Walkers are a great coin to find.Too bad it had a hole.Sorry about your digger but worth it with that coin.Nice find.

S

seger98

Nice find, I think I'd put a new chain on it & wear it for good luck each time I went out metal detecting!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the walkin' half, I'm still looking for a big piece like that WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey elusion, What a wonderful find ! That coin is tied with the merc in my estimation of the prettiest

coins minted in America ( Same designer did both) with the standing liberty quarter as a very close

second . Since it looks like the ring on it is copper or steel , I would replace it with a very heavy

sterling silver one - and wear it on a nice silver chain - or give it to your honey ! Great find !

Argentium.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
GREAT FIND ON THE HALF. EVERY ONE WANTS TO FIND ONE OF THEM. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread