Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
So my family and I got into Michigan this past Saturday, to find freezing temperatures and snow on the ground in Pinckney where we are visiting my wife's folks for the week.

Not one to be detered by a little snow, I sent the kids off sledding behind the barn today, and I hit the field on the side of the house with the most shallow snow I could find.

IMG_9381.jpg

I dug maybe a half dozen targets, and other than a few rusty iron whatsit thingies, I was able to pull a beautiful large crotal bell from its deep grave. It was down about 7 or 8 inches, and was packed solid with dirt. A careful cleaning brought it back to life...

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

My in-law's property has been lived on since 1835 according to a Livingston County history book and plat maps we've looked at. I wonder how long this bell has been in the ground. Has it been a hundred years or more since anyone has heard this beatiful sound...

The other notable relic I found today was this piece to an oil lamp...

IMG_9404-1.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

I'm not sure what the weather will be like tomorrow, but I know that the snow that fell today isn't going anywhere in the next few days. But will that deter me from finding another keeper or two??? I think not!

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for saving the bell! I'm not familiar with that type (name) of bell. What were they used for? You've got a great hunting opportunity, with that history of the land. Good find! Keep searching! -Noodle

kevo

Mar 2, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
Nice finds!! I live in Kentucky now but I was in Michigan last weekend visiting some family and the night before I was left to come back to Ky it snowed a little over 2 inches..couldn't believe it. I do miss the snow sometimes. I'm still waiting for my first bell :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
beautiful sound indeed! What a find that was! The old oil lamp piece is pretty cool too. Glad you braved the snow to find some goodies!

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Noodle said:
Thanks for saving the bell! I'm not familiar with that type (name) of bell. What were they used for? You've got a great hunting opportunity, with that history of the land. Good find! Keep searching! -Noodle

Here is a link to a great resource site on crotal bells...

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html

In my 30+ years of metal detecting, I have only found two crotal bells. They were both found this year, and both in Michigan. The first one I found on a visit here in July of this year was much smaller, but still rang as sweet.

bell.jpg

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, Sorry about the snow, comes with the location. LOL

I have found many sleigh bells over the years. Most of the ones I have found
are numbered on the bottom. They are from sleigh belts that have bells numbered
from 1 to 12 or 14, can't remember how many are on a belt. The bells also have a
solid top with a hole so they can be wired onto the belt.

The one like you found probably has no number. I have found some like that also,
I think they were made at a blacksmith shop. Most of the ones with numbers were
made and sold on sleigh belts. They were worn on horses. Usually the wire that held
them on, broke and they fell to the earth.

The bigger ones are really hard to find whole, because of plowing, but the smaller ones
usually make it by the plows.

Congrats on your find, hope the snow melts and you can get back to detecting.

HH, Ringfinder

P.S.
Here is site that I just saw on another post on here. Very interesting
http://classicbells.com/info/ShankRivet.htm

crbohn

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2008
Illinois - St Louis
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
I went out hunting on Sat, and found what I thought to be a piece of an oil lamp. Just happened to cruise by and see that you found the same thing. Mine still has a little more of the outer cover on it. I will post some pics soon. What did you use to clean that? Mine was in a creek so it is caked with dirt and small rock. I tried to wash it over, with no luck.

Congrats on the bell. Those are really neat to look at and think about the way people traveled over that area.

Chris

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Real nice bell and real nice display of dedication.... I draw the line at having to kneel in snow.....

I can take cold, rain, frozen ground.... But, putting my knees in snow just ain't happening... Especially, after 30 years of diggin'

Brian in MA

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics and that crotal bell is fantastic! :thumbsup: Still on my wish list. Glad you were rewarded for your perseverance.

HH

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peanut695 said:
I draw the line at having to kneel in snow.....

I can take cold, rain, frozen ground.... But, putting my knees in snow just ain't happening...
Brian in MA

Knee pads go a long ways toward keeping you dry.

HH

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Nice bell Jim! I have yet to find one of those bells.

There is a park right in the middle of town in Pinckney that is fairly old & worth checking out. If you happen to make it into Brighton, the park at the Mill Pond in the middle of town may worth checking out (but not in the play ground area....it's new ground). Also, if your out & about with nothing to do, you may want to check out a place that is between Pinckney & Howell that use to be called Hillcrest. It was the old state sanitorium that dates back to the mid 1800's. It is listed on "America's scariest places" because it is about as creepy as it gets. Just the drive up to it was like something from a Steven King movie. I have been there many times & been inside all of the buildings. My oldest brothers old girlfriend use to work there when I was a kid, so I have even been inside when it was still open.....scared the bejesus out of me.

Happy hunting & stay warm!

Attachments

• sanit1.jpg
    sanit1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 369
  • howellsanitarium1.jpg
    howellsanitarium1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 363

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Top Notch relic post. :thumbsup:

The video is way cool. :) Found my first Crotal bell this year--and a buddy got his first this year too. They aren't easy to find--especially complete ones.

Well done. :)

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions