Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
So my family and I got into Michigan this past Saturday, to find freezing temperatures and snow on the ground in Pinckney where we are visiting my wife's folks for the week.

Not one to be detered by a little snow, I sent the kids off sledding behind the barn today, and I hit the field on the side of the house with the most shallow snow I could find.

IMG_9381.jpg

I dug maybe a half dozen targets, and other than a few rusty iron whatsit thingies, I was able to pull a beautiful large crotal bell from its deep grave. It was down about 7 or 8 inches, and was packed solid with dirt. A careful cleaning brought it back to life...

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

My in-law's property has been lived on since 1835 according to a Livingston County history book and plat maps we've looked at. I wonder how long this bell has been in the ground. Has it been a hundred years or more since anyone has heard this beatiful sound...

The other notable relic I found today was this piece to an oil lamp...

IMG_9404-1.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

I'm not sure what the weather will be like tomorrow, but I know that the snow that fell today isn't going anywhere in the next few days. But will that deter me from finding another keeper or two??? I think not!

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
BuckleBoy said:
This is a Top Notch relic post. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Thanks BuckleBoy! This is a HUGE compliment coming from you. I strive for the day I pull out relics like you and the rest of the Iron Brigade find regularly.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread