Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an absolutely perfect way for me to end the season...unless I bring along a pick axe...or sledgehammer. ;D
Seriously...this time was it....the ground is pretty much frozen now. ::)

The first hour at this beat up park was slooooowww...but picked a bunch after that.

My first dig of the day came about 1 1/2 hours into the hunt...and it was a 1907 Barber dime from about 8" down. I wanted to end the year with a silver on my last hunt...and that pressure was now gone. :icon_sunny:

I wandered around for another hour or so and finally got a decent, deep injun' hit. I popped out a nasty...and I repeat nasty injun from about 9". It was so nasty...that I didn't even know for sure it was an injun until I soaked it in oil for a couple of hours. :tongue3: It looks like it mutated in with some cement...and only about 1/4 of it is even visible. :tard:

Right about the 3 hour mark of the hunt...I got another nice but iffy silver hit. The cursor never settled anywhere...but did it's dance from top right corner...to top center....then fluttered around somewhere inbetween. :thumbsup: The depth meter showed only the tiniest of black...and the sound was a nice higher warble which was faint even with my gain on 10....YIPPEE! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
About 5 minutes later and from 9" down...out popped a second Barber dime...1905. :blob6: Okay...it's time to leave now......ummm....NO. ;D

Another hour or so went by before I got another signal...and I mean ANY signal. ??? It was a freakin' nickle hit...but I was bored so I decided to give it a shot. 8) I dug the plug out and started to clear the hole a little with my Lesche...when I struck greenish glass. ??? I didn't want to cut my hand...so I started to dig around the glass to get it out of the way...but it seemed to be a BIG piece. I kept on digging it out and carefully prying at it until it started to take the shape of a bottle. 8) I then noticed it had embossed writing on it...and I could make out Coca Cola. :o From that point on...I was very careful...but I thought there would be NO way the bottle would be intact. ...especially since I had "stabbed" at it a few times investigating the size before I realized what it was ;D

When it was all uncoverd and I plucked it out from over 7" down...I was amazed to see it was in absolutely PERFECT condition. :icon_sunny: I then ran the probe in the hole to see where the nickel hit came from...and out popped a buffalo nickle. :thumbsup: So by absolutely nothing but coincidence and luck...I popped out a beautiful greenish embossed coke bottle...just because it was resting in perfect condition..right above a buffalo nickle....and which those lower sounding hits... I NEVER dig. :thumbsup: The odds of me finding that coke bottle were probably 10,000,000,000 to ONE. :wink: The odds of it being undamaged were even greater than that. :D Somehow it must have gotten run over or something while being nestled in very soft mud...and then was safe from that point on to just slowly sink to the depth I found it at. :thumbsup:

At this point there was still about an hour of daylight...so I thought...why quit now? I kept plodding along with a tight grip on the SE. I really had no choice about it...because my hand was frozen in that position. ;D

After 30 minutes or so I got a nice high warble hit that was almost too good to be true. :o It was one of the rare ones that repeated as I circled the hole. :o At the parks I hunt...those clear hits disappeared 10 years ago...unless you can get just a little deeper. I dug down 8" and then ran the probe...and like I knew it would this time...it sang silver. :headbang:
I carefully dug around the pinpointed area and popped out a 3" clod. Peeking out of the clod was a sweet little silver rim. :sunny: This usually doesn't happen...and I usually just pinch the clod...then the coin comes out. This time however...I could clearly see the sweet silver rim sticking out. I decided to leave it just like that until I got home to take a picture of it. :wink:
The thrill of not knowing exactly what it was kept me buzzing all the way home. :angel12:

I set it on the scanner for the pic...then it was time to pop it open to see what it was. Because of the nice clear lines around the rim...I was expecting a merc...but as you can see...I was pleasantly surprised with a second 1907 Barber dime. :thumbsup: The cool thing is... that you can clearly see a perfect mirror image of the barber in the mud clod ...from where it was lodged for over 100 years. :clock: Pretty cool way to end my hunting season....with the thrill of popping open a clod with a silver rim peeking out. :angel8:

My take for the day...1 sweet old coke bottle by pure chance...1 nasty injun'...1 1920 Buffalo Nickle...3 Barber dimes...1905...and 2 (1907's)..and as ALWAYS...some peace and solace. :angel7:

The ground is now pretty much frozen here...so this was officially my last hunt of the year. ??? I hope you all have a nice holiday season...and that "cabin fever" doesn't get the best of us all. :tard: :tongue3: Thanks to all of you for viewing my posts..and for helping me enjoy this wonderful hobby. Take care...and have a Merry Christmas. :icon_santa:

Attachments

• coins151.jpg
    coins151.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,107
  • coins152.jpg
    coins152.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • coins153.jpg
    coins153.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • coins154.jpg
    coins154.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • cokebottle.jpg
    cokebottle.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,094
  • cokebottle2.jpg
    cokebottle2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,106
Upvote 0

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on you year end goal!!! I just found my very first barber a couple of days ago. Wish mine was as nice as one of those you found though!! Way to go!!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bryce. You had another great hunt buddy. :thumbsup: I love reading about your hunts. I wish I could brave the cold like you. I bet you are still thawing out. Take Care and HH. :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL silver, Silver! :icon_pirat: I think the Barber is my favorite silver to find cause it took me so long to find 'em! :tongue3: :D

y-merry-christmasblue.gif

Nana

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've read your posts for some time now and congratulate you on your success. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Minelab SE, mostly because of the great success you and CaptSE have had with them. I presently use a White's XLT and am getting good results, but only to about 6 inches in depth. Whadda you think? and what are the differences?

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Looks like you got your Coke with change... :tongue3: ;D

What a fantastic day you had Bryce! Thanks for sharing the great story and pics. Felt like I was right there with ya' - I still think you'll eke out one more "excursion"... :icon_thumright:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Bryce, you sure did surprise me with this hunt. :o :o I thought you were through for the year.

That's a great way to end the year. All Barber Silver!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've never dug a perfect conditioned coke bottle out of the turf before...Amazing!!

Congrats on a fantastic hunt once again. Your posts are always top notch. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas, buddy!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Bryce,

That was another riveting post which as always included some sweet finds !!!

Three Barbers in one hunt.... reminds me of the good 'ole days back in the '80s

It will be a long, cold winter without any posts from you showing all of us your latest silver and injun finds !!!!

Take care and have a very Merry Christmas !!!

Brian in MA

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Those Barbers are in SWEET condition. Congrats!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Holy cow, Bryce! :o You done it again!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Those Barbers are fantastic!! That Coke bottle - wow! I've found broken ones, but never one in that great shape!!

I can't imagine being out there on a day like today. That's dedication! ;D

Merry Christmas to you! :wink:
Neil

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn, Bryce. I thought your Northern Ill. hunts were definitely over. WTG on your persistent courage (or insanity :D) to haul in some more frozen specimens. That was definitely the way to end the year. You've been through a lot this year and wish you the best 09. HH Ron

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the hunts into overtime for our reading pleasure. I'm glad you got out to get another one in. I hope the freeze isn't too long for you, I think I enjoy reading your posts more than most of my own actual hunts!
I don't know how you do it, but you have the gift my friend!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOOHOO!!!! Nice finds there man! Barbers are always great to find! You are doing great ~ CONGRAT'S!!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
BEAUTIFUL silver, Silver! :icon_pirat: I think the Barber is my favorite silver to find cause it took me so long to find 'em! :tongue3: :D

y-merry-christmasblue.gif

Nana
Thanks Nana. Have a nice Christmas. :icon_santa:

camb1 said:
WTG Bryce. You had another great hunt buddy. :thumbsup: I love reading about your hunts. I wish I could brave the cold like you. I bet you are still thawing out. Take Care and HH. :thumbsup:
Thanks Bruce

bigtim1973 said:
Congrats on you year end goal!!! I just found my very first barber a couple of days ago. Wish mine was as nice as one of those you found though!! Way to go!!
Thanks bigtim. I hope you find many more Barbers :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possumguts said:
I've read your posts for some time now and congratulate you on your success. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Minelab SE, mostly because of the great success you and CaptSE have had with them. I presently use a White's XLT and am getting good results, but only to about 6 inches in depth. Whadda you think? and what are the differences?
Thanks possumguts. I had an xlt for years...and it is still one of my favorite machines. I had a lot of success with it too...but it was to about 7" max depth. I am hunting the exact same parks I have been hunting since the 80's with my xlt and fisher cz. I am finding all the coins you have seen me post over the last 2 years or so...with my SE.
I need to get some sleep...so I honestly don't have the time to type in all the differences between the two machines....but there are a few.
I do truly feel the xlt is an awesome machine...and it found me a ton of stuff....but the SE just seems to hit the deep silver for me. Take care...and good luck on whatever you decide. Either way is a no lose decision...cause the xlt is a great machine.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peanut695 said:
Bryce,

That was another riveting post which as always included some sweet finds !!!

Three Barbers in one hunt.... reminds me of the good 'ole days back in the '80s

It will be a long, cold winter without any posts from you showing all of us your latest silver and injun finds !!!!

Take care and have a very Merry Christmas !!!

Brian in MA
Thanks Brian. I have some mixed emotions right now...cause barring a miracle...this was definately my last hunt of the year. Have a safe holiday season...and take care :thumbsup:

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Bryce, you sure did surprise me with this hunt. :o :o I thought you were through for the year.

That's a great way to end the year. All Barber Silver!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've never dug a perfect conditioned coke bottle out of the turf before...Amazing!!

Congrats on a fantastic hunt once again. Your posts are always top notch. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas, buddy!!

CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. With Christmas drawing closer....I needed to clear my head one last time before putting the SE on the shelf for the winter :angel7: Take care my friend...and stay safe.

DD-777 said:
Looks like you got your Coke with change... :tongue3: ;D

What a fantastic day you had Bryce! Thanks for sharing the great story and pics. Felt like I was right there with ya' - I still think you'll eke out one more "excursion"... :icon_thumright:
Thanks DD. I wish you were right...but I think this was truly "it" for this year. the ground is frozen a ways down now. It's also 2 degrees here right now. Take care buddy

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddcoins said:
WOOHOO!!!! Nice finds there man! Barbers are always great to find! You are doing great ~ CONGRAT'S!!
Thanks O.C.

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Fiend

Damon64 said:
Thanks for taking the hunts into overtime for our reading pleasure. I'm glad you got out to get another one in. I hope the freeze isn't too long for you, I think I enjoy reading your posts more than most of my own actual hunts!
I don't know how you do it, but you have the gift my friend!
Thanks Damon. I have been blessed with some good hunts this year...and luck doesn't hurt either. I hope the winter months don't last too long 8)

RONC(OR) said:
Bryce you are the Barber KIng :icon_king: nice finds
Thanks Ron ;D

crazyjarhead said:
Darn, Bryce. I thought your Northern Ill. hunts were definitely over. WTG on your persistent courage (or insanity :D) to haul in some more frozen specimens. That was definitely the way to end the year. You've been through a lot this year and wish you the best 09. HH Ron
Thanks Ron. Yep..this was definately the last hunt for me this year. It's 2 degrees here right now...and the ground is freezin' as I'm typin' :wink: Take care Ron.,..and have a nice Christmas :icon_santa:

kimsdad said:
Holy cow, Bryce! :o You done it again!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Those Barbers are fantastic!! That Coke bottle - wow! I've found broken ones, but never one in that great shape!!

I can't imagine being out there on a day like today. That's dedication! ;D

Merry Christmas to you! :wink:
Neil
Thanks Neil. That bottle was nothing but pure luck and coincidence...but that is what it takes sometimes. Take care buddy...and stay safe :thumbsup:

time4me said:
Those Barbers are in SWEET condition. Congrats!
Thanks time4me. Have a nice Christmas.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
:o 3 of em' in one hunt? :o
What a way to end the season!
Now THAT should keep you satisfied for a few weeks!
Hopefully, we'll all get a little mid-January thaw, to keep the cravings in check! :thumbsup:
Looks like ALOT of letters on those headbands!
Congrats!
And have a GREAT Holiday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread