old yard silver

D

detector77

Found these great coins in an old yard I finally got permission to hunt. I just sold my Spectrum XLT and DeLeon, and bought a minelab Explorer XS, and a Golden Hawk, hope to increase my good luck greatly with the explorer, the golden hawk is a gold machine, goin prospecting next spring, ooooooooooo clementine !!!!!
Anyway theold yard was at a house built in 1887, I will be going back next week to get the really deep stuff with my explorer, hope to anyway. Enjoy the images.

Attachments

• resize2.JPG
    resize2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 510
  • resize4.JPG
    resize4.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

detector77

okay here is the scoop>>>>>>>
I hate digging nickels, but I will, NEXT TIME. my main concern on the first pass was to pick out the strongest and highest vdi numbers, to ensure a good first taking. As the targets get fewer I will not be so discriminating in what I dig, before the hunt is over all targets will be dug, I did dig some nickels, and tons of pennies, but clad is clad......I feel there will be a lot of deep targets in the yard, it is a big area about 150 x 70 in the back alone, a lot of gravel near the road and some good targets were sounding in that mess, still needs to be dug there as well. The detector I was using was a spectrum xlt in the pre set coin program, with the gain boosted up 2 clicks, still low, but stable, I know it hit a dime at 9 inches, I call that deep. But as I said before, the minelab detector will out hunt this machine, so I am all pumped up about that. I will keep you all posted on what happens, but I will be going back to the K of C yard first, as about 6 inches of dirt has been moved off the top, I found a seated dime and a 1864 indian head there before all good targets were at about 6 inches, sooooooooooooo it should be very good detecting.
detector77

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Congratulations on some great silver. Those are awsome. Don't forget that the smaller gold coins will show up as nickles....You may want to rethink digging them...Lance

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, great hunt, 77! Hope you new detector arrives on schedule. I'd be borrowing one from somebody to hit the K of C before they do anymore digging.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I live in jersey county and i'm struggling to find a decent place to md. I normally hunt indian artifacts which i have a nice collection of but I've got the MD bug and was looking for somewhere with some decent age to hunt.

HH

Steven

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed a trend over the last few months which I haven't taken advantage of. A lot of virgin silver has been turning up in old yards as opposed to public use places. It seems that most of the parks, fairgrounds, etc have already had the reachable silver targets removed and only yield their treasures when some kind of excavation has taken place. I am going to start concentrating on private yards more this fall and see if my theory holds water. Excellent finds reminiscent of the "old days" when silver was plentiful...or so I have been told! JIM

OP
OP
D

detector77

johnnyx, email me anytime, zI am 52, don't fool around out there, take it pretty serious, my finds will show that, want to start doing some prospecting in the spring, leaning to north Georgia, or California, may take a trip to Gaines Creek Alaska with a tour, but a little pricey$$$$$. email me [email protected] anytime, I usually answer all serious mail.
Jim>>> you are 10000000% correct in your thinking, the old yards are where it's at, and the ones that were either tennements or adjacent to in the past will hold the most, the more variety of people who inhabited them will usually yield a greater variety in finds, I am a firm believer in wherever there were kids there will be money, always held water with me. The public access areas are to a degree " hunted out " after 40 some years of metal detectors in use, I hate that term " hunted out " I should say cherry picked, because that is what has happened, those areas will yield targets, but the good finds require some dilligent searching, and we all know that relates to a lot of work, until I started hunting only yards and boulevards my good find to calds ratio was about 100 to 1, that is one hundred clad or trash targets to a good find, that was in public access areas, now there are days where the ratio is even, some days the good targets surpass the so so ones, don't take me wrong here, I will pick up and usually dig all my targets, I have rolled almost $400 in clad since March of this year, that is a " BUTT LOAD " of digging. JIm here is a little story of what just happened to me, while I was detecting in this old yard, two of the neighbors came over and talked to me, curiosity killed the cat you know, and in our conversation I got permission to hunt in their yards as well, all the homes in thi area were built prior to 1880, so you see a pattern developing, one I will most certainly take advantage of, food for thought for all reading this, be neat in your digging, don't be afraid to show someone just what you do, if you present yourself and your actions in a proper manner, expect to be rewarded.
detector77

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Thanks for the reply 77, I'm very new at Mding (I normally hunt indian artifacts). Still wet behind the ears so to speak. I have a White's Spectrum XLT. and haven't found anything significant yet. I would really be interested in hunting with you but I don't want to pose myself as a hinderence, since i'm still very new, only been hunting about a month on and off. I have just found clad and trash, hotwheels and ect. But it would be nice to have a hunting partner with some experience.

Thanks

HH

Steven

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread