Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got out! The temps were in the 50's, but the ground was still solid in many spots. I had a real tough time excavating this Virginia Militia button due to the frozen ground. The hard ground contributed to the ding I made with my Lesch. This is the first time in more than 5 years that I damaged one of my digs. I think I will wait until the ground thaws a bit more before I go out again.

The back mark is Horstman*Philadelphia. I think it is post Civil War. Any help with ID is appreciated!

Attachments

• 2009_0121Image0007.JPG
    2009_0121Image0007.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 810
Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Really nice button Neil. I was thinking it was so nice today...but like you said the ground is touch.

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
According to the Button Back Marks site, any one marked HORSTMANN / PHILADELPHIA was made between 1893-1935, so you're right on the post-CW guess. However, if you look at the banner running underneath the figure, it reads "Semper Tyrannis" - that's what John Wilkes Booth yelled after killing Lincoln as he leaped off the stage at Ford's Theater and broke his leg upon landing. So my guess is it could be a CW-era or soon thereafter, from a Confederate state. Since you're in VA, probably a home state button? Hope this is helpful -- I'm no expert.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
wildheart said:
However, if you look at the banner running underneath the figure, it reads "Semper Tyrannis" - that's what John Wilkes Booth yelled after killing Lincoln as he leaped off the stage at Ford's Theater and broke his leg upon landing. So my guess is it could be a CW-era or soon thereafter, from a Confederate state.

Sic Semper Tyrannis ("Thus ever to tyrants") is the state motto of Virginia... has been since 1776.

It's also what Brutus is supposed to have said at the assassination of Caesar.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
wildheart said:
Since you're in VA, probably a home state button?

I am in New Jersey, so this is definitely an unusual find for my area. The site has given up coins from the 1890's to the early 20th century, so I would date this button from that era.

Thanks for your help!
Neil

S

seger98

It's a very nice button, what is something like that worth?

Chris

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
seger98 said:

Chris

It is definitely worth less than before I hit it with my shovel! Being post Civil War would leave me to believe that it is a fairly common button. It is, however, an unusual find for my area.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
seger98 said:

Chris

It is definitely worth less than before I hit it with my shovel!ย  Being post Civil War would leave me to believe that it is a fairly common button.ย  It is, however, an unusual find for my area.

Not worth that much--but not a find one could ever hope to repeat.ย  I grew up not far from VMI--and I never got my coil over one in 10 years of diggin there.ย 

If it was a CW backmark it would be a $$$ buttonย  :oย 

Oh--and be sure to dig carefully. The next plug may be a find of a lifetime!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Neil. Glad you guys are still huntin' down there. We are buried up here.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hogge said:
Nice find Neil. Glad you guys are still huntin' down there. We are buried up here.

Thanks Hogge. Our warm spell is about to end tho. Back into the 30's into early next week. We still haven't gotten any snow!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a nice button Neil.

I love to find those old millitary buttons.

HH Jer

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
seger98 said:

Chris

It is definitely worth less than before I hit it with my shovel! Being post Civil War would leave me to believe that it is a fairly common button. It is, however, an unusual find for my area.

Not worth that much--but not a find one could ever hope to repeat. I grew up not far from VMI--and I never got my coil over one in 10 years of diggin there.

If it was a CW backmark it would be a $$$ button :o

Oh--and be sure to dig carefully. The next plug may be a find of a lifetime!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks BB

Like I said in my original post, I have not damaged a single find in many years. The frozen ground caused the shovel to slip. I will not be out again until there is a true thaw. One or two warm days is not enough to soften the ground. I guess I should look into the Estwing that Don mentioned in his post. My Lesch always comes through for me when it comes to roots and such, but I guess it just doesn't "cut it" when it comes to frozen ground!

Here is the back mark: Definitely 1890-1920 based on the shank as well as the other finds from the site.

Attachments

• 2009_0121Image00005.JPG
    2009_0121Image00005.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 580

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Virginia Staff :wink:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
wildheart said:
According to the Button Back Marks site, any one marked HORSTMANN / PHILADELPHIA was made between 1893-1935, so you're right on the post-CW guess. However, if you look at the banner running underneath the figure, it reads "Semper Tyrannis" - that's what John Wilkes Booth yelled after killing Lincoln as he leaped off the stage at Ford's Theater and broke his leg upon landing. So my guess is it could be a CW-era or soon thereafter, from a Confederate state. Since you're in VA, probably a home state button? Hope this is helpful -- I'm no expert.

After some thought, I was curious what role the militia took in each state after the Civil War. It turns out that the Militia became a volunteer force soon after the war. The Militia was incorporated into the VA National Guard at some point, most likely around 1917. According to the VA National Guard site:

In response to the 1917 federalization of the Virginia National Guard, the Commonwealth of Virginia created the Virginia State Volunteers to support civil authorities. Soon renamed the Virginia Volunteers, the group guarded bridges, waterways, fuel storage areas, and public buildings and facilities during the war years, armed with surplus weapons dating back to 1876. With the return of the National Guard units after World War I, the last company of the Virginia Volunteers was deactivated in 1921. A total of 1,300 Virginians served in the Virginia Volunteers from 1917 to 1921.

Even though the back mark was used by Horstmann until 1935, this button most likely pre dates 1921

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT button, Neil! Spring will be here before ya know it. :wink:

Nana

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Neil, nice bit of followup research, and very interesting! That's one of the parts I like best. And PBK, yep - SIC semper tyrannis it is - I stand corrected and wondering where my head was at. Thanks for the clarification.

L

lovedigging

Great find, I live in Virginia and have not yet found a virginia button. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread