TALLYO !!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a new site to me yesterday, but evidently it was hit before since the lack of "easy" finds had me believing the site was cherry picked years ago, but at least whoever hit it, did not pound the site in the harder to hunt areas. I consider getting 6 buttons at a homestead and a Jews Harp and bunch of double headed rivets and some pieces of Iron Pot to be not quite cleaning a site out.

Today I went back, after being happy to find only my second complete Jews Harp to try and find a coin, since most likely any coin from this site would have been either colonial or very early American, like in Liberty Cap and Draped Bust types, but it was not to be today.

No coins, and in fact, I really did not hunt the site much today, since I spent 2 hours walking the roads looking for 2 or 3 more suspected sites that I spotted on aerials, but the underbrush in those areas was way too much to even consider swingin a detector, so I got a good 4 mile hike in and on the way back I hit the homestead that I hit yesterday and was disappointed that I got no more buttons or good relics.

At the time I thought all I had was a junk piece of rolled copper and another one of the double head rivets with leather attached. To my surprise when I got home the frozen piece in my pocket turned out to be a complete cufflink assembly. I gave it a quick look and now I knew my find today was special! One relic I have seen posted by a few over the years has been the TALLYO running fox cufflinks. Well, today I got mine, although not in the best shape, they are still identifiable and I am happy with that.

Even though no coins as of yet from the site, I am very happy getting two more relics that are desired and of course added 6 more old buttons to the collection........

Don

Attachments

• Cellarholedepressions.jpg
    Cellarholedepressions.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • CTsite5button1found.jpg
    CTsite5button1found.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,731
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,734
  • JewsHarp.jpg
    JewsHarp.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,732
  • Homestead to Left.jpg
    Homestead to Left.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,720
  • pothole2.jpg
    pothole2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,706
  • CowturdRdsitefindstext.jpg
    CowturdRdsitefindstext.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,716
  • TallyoCufflinks.jpg
    TallyoCufflinks.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,659
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Ok, I'm gonna look dumb for asking.... But what is the jews harp? I see it in the picture, but I have never heard of it or seen it before.

Chris

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Don...to continue my education I will now look up a Jews Harp.

Thanks

NJ

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Jew's Harp is a small musical instrument which is held against the teeth or lips, and plucked with the fingers. Ground found ones are missing the inside portion that creates the sound.

http://www.jewsharpguild.org/history.html

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
seger98 said:
Ok, I'm gonna look dumb for asking.... But what is the jews harp? I see it in the picture, but I have never heard of it or seen it before.

Chris

BOW CHica BOW WHNOHN!!! Jew's harp a.k.a. Jaw Harp!! You never saw snoopy play one!?

It's the tone def mans sweet mouth harp. Go to your local music store and you will find them by the tuners for about $5.

S

seger98

Don in SJ said:
The Jew's Harp is a small musical instrument which is held against the teeth or lips, and plucked with the fingers. Ground found ones are missing the inside portion that creates the sound.

http://www.jewsharpguild.org/history.html

Thank you Don for the link, some of us (me, myself & I) lead a sheltered life & don't get out much!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great hunt to me... well what wouldn't be right now! :D

I have the exact match for your link.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Looks like a great hunt to me... well what wouldn't be right now! :D

I have the exact match for your link.

I thought you had one, I think Steve from Pa also has one.

I was very happy with the finds, but am in a old coin mini-drought, but dang, my son emailed me a couple hours ago, he did it again, he made a quick hunt after work just before dark, two old buttons and a what he describes as a great conditioned 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent!!
He does great on those short hunts after work!! Maybe I should unretire and try it! ;D

He is catching up to me on Large Cents, even for 1794, I have four and he now has 3 of them!

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good hunt, Don. Those cufflinks are Way Cool! :thumbsup: I have always wanted to dig a Jew's Harp (even just a piece of one)--so that is Tops on the "musical finds" list for me.

And in terms of that item you have marked "unknown use"--I wish I knew what they were:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175963.0.html

Throw a photo of it up there, if you get a chance and wouldn't mind. Eventually someone will figure it out. But again, the date range on those brass decorations is consistent with the age of the site you were hunting in this post.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
so I got a good 4 mile hike in and on the way back I hit the homestead that I hit yesterday and was disappointed that I got no more buttons or good relics.

Don, 4 miles. Wow, that's some dedication and it paid off. Love the cufflinks. Nice collection of relics.

Though, right about now, I would welcome the opportunity to walk 4 miles anywhere that wouldn't require the use of snow shoes !!!! That bare ground sure looks nice.

Brian in MA

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be careful with those harps..... One wrong cord and you chip a tooth, lol...

Nice finds there. Thanks for sharing.

DANGLANGLEY

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice long walk to a great looking site Don. Never knew NJ was so thick with trees. Research says the Juice Harp or Jaw Harp was in many cultures and goes way back in time. That thing may be really old. I thought they were a 30's thing...who knew.?

Great pics too thanks and keep them coming!

Another good hunt for you.

SKD

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a good hunt hope you get a coin out of there but some more buttons wouldn't be bad either. HH!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad to see that you got out to enjoy the mild weather, no matter how short lived it may be!

Any day with 6 buttons is a good day, and the fact that not all are plain is a definite bonus.

I remember seeing a post a while back with similar cuff links.

Happy Hunting!
Neil

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice early relics Don.

You do a great job on finding those early sites. It is hard work. I've done it before. Good early sites don't come often. So I try and devote my little bits of time to any site that will yield some type of treasures.

But I love the colonial stuff the most. I think I have a few of those jews harps. What are they exactly. They are ringing a bell in my head. I've been on a few good early sites. I just found out not long ago all those things with the holes in them from colonial sites are toe taps.

I found alot of those heel toe tap's at early sites. Keep up the great work man. Also 6 flat buttons and early relics is still a great outing. Colonial stuff beats anything basically 2 to 1 in my book.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mickk said:
Looks like an Estwing to me, good stuff!

Both my son and I use the Estwing for frozen ground, but it is really great for chopping thru all the ground roots we encounter, especially green briar roots. So dual purpose tool and the quality of it, well, I doubt that solid piece will ever break........ :)

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions