What is this? A Meteorite?

M

michigan michael

I found this today a little over 7 inches deep?????? I played in that hole for about 30 minutes. I was so confused because I had a really strong hit and nothing in the hole. I forgot my pin pointer so I made a call to have someone run it out to me and I stuck it in the hole and the pin pointer went nuts on this rock. I freaked. I was like holy spit I found gold!!!!!!! I thought a minute and decided this probably was not gold. Its really light in weight and resembles more to a piece of coal than gold. My next thought was well maybe a piece of a pull tab or foil eroded into the rock but after cleaning it up this was not the case either. My last conclusion is that its a meteorite. What does everyone else think? I am really curious. Here is a fitting movie quote....."Meteor Bert: Well, it ain't a meteor.
Joe Dirt: Yeah it is. It came out of the sky.
Meteor Bert: Well I'm sure it did but it ain't no meteor. It's a big ol frozen chunk o' $h*t.
Joe Dirt: What!
Meteor Bert: Oh yeah, see them airplanes they dump their toilets 36,000 feet. The stuff freezes and falls to earth. We call 'em Boeing bombs
[chomps teeth]
Joe Dirt: no that can't be. That's not what it is
Meteor Bert: oh, afraid so. See that peanut? Dead giveaway.
Joe Dirt: Uhhh, no, that's a space peanut.

Attachments

• meteorite1.jpg
    meteorite1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,901
  • meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,034
  • blue meteor-745631.jpg
    blue meteor-745631.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,486
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

michigan michael

It sure would! I do not know anything about meteorites though. I see a lot of people looked at the post but nobody responded. I sure hope someone out there knows about them and can offer some advice.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
It sure would! I do not know anything about meteorites though. I see a lot of people looked at the post but nobody responded. I sure hope someone out there knows about them and can offer some advice.

Try posting it in the meteorite section. I bet they can help there. I hope it is :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

haylen

Feb 14, 2007
I am no expert but I have seen a couple in books and it does look alot like one?
do you have any lava rock were you live?

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

haylen said:
I am no expert but I have seen a couple in books and it does look alot like one?
do you have any lava rock were you live?
I dont believe so, Are lava rocks conductive? I am not sure. It is really light like one though.

Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

I did not know we had a meteorite page. I just posted it up there. Lets hope for the best! :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I think that Meteorite are heavy rocks.I have found several rocks like that one close to Railroad tracks.My MD always goes
crazy on them ,we have always called them hot rocks.But that is my guess.I hope that it is for you.
Congrats

fortbball9

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
We have a lot of volcanic rock and cinder left over from volcanic days in the Mojave. They set the detector off like crazy. The MXT 300 is pretty good about identifying them as "Hot Rocks" They are pretty light compared to solid rock.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Thanks everyone. I think you guys are right. I think it is a hot rock. It is really light and is not magnetic. I just read most meteorites are magnetic. Still strange that there was only one that deep though. :icon_scratch: fun find though.
Thanks,
MM

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately a hot rock! I dig them often here. HH, Mike

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

mpostma said:
Hey Memorial,
Is that you in the third pic?

Love the Joe Dirt Quote!

Good Luck on the space peanut!

Mark
:thumbsup: yep! Gotta keep on keeping on! ;D

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haye! That's weird, I just found something like that this past week-end. It is very light weight and It sets my metal detector off. I put a small piece of it in muridic acid and there was no reaction. I posted in the "what is it" forum and I have had responses such as: lava rock, hot rock, slag out of old boilers and furnices, and pumice. I might can see where it might have come from a steam boat (out of the boiler) it was found by the river, or out of a furnace possibly from an old blacksmith shop. My wife thinks its a meteorite and it certainly is an unknown object.

Attachments

• light weight rock.jpg
    light weight rock.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 771
  • light weight rock.jpg
    light weight rock.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 723

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If it floats it could be a piece of furnace coke, that will make your MD go nutsy koo-koo too........NGE

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Definately a hot rock! I dig them often here. HH, Mike

Is that the same a coke from the old engines as thats what it looks like to me. I dig about 20 a day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread