What is this? A Meteorite?

M

michigan michael

I found this today a little over 7 inches deep?????? I played in that hole for about 30 minutes. I was so confused because I had a really strong hit and nothing in the hole. I forgot my pin pointer so I made a call to have someone run it out to me and I stuck it in the hole and the pin pointer went nuts on this rock. I freaked. I was like holy spit I found gold!!!!!!! I thought a minute and decided this probably was not gold. Its really light in weight and resembles more to a piece of coal than gold. My next thought was well maybe a piece of a pull tab or foil eroded into the rock but after cleaning it up this was not the case either. My last conclusion is that its a meteorite. What does everyone else think? I am really curious. Here is a fitting movie quote....."Meteor Bert: Well, it ain't a meteor.
Joe Dirt: Yeah it is. It came out of the sky.
Meteor Bert: Well I'm sure it did but it ain't no meteor. It's a big ol frozen chunk o' $h*t.
Joe Dirt: What!
Meteor Bert: Oh yeah, see them airplanes they dump their toilets 36,000 feet. The stuff freezes and falls to earth. We call 'em Boeing bombs
[chomps teeth]
Joe Dirt: no that can't be. That's not what it is
Meteor Bert: oh, afraid so. See that peanut? Dead giveaway.
Joe Dirt: Uhhh, no, that's a space peanut.

Attachments

• meteorite1.jpg
    meteorite1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,901
  • meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,034
  • blue meteor-745631.jpg
    blue meteor-745631.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,486
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Haye! That's weird, I just found something like that this past week-end. It is very light weight and It sets my metal detector off. I put a small piece of it in muridic acid and there was no reaction. I posted in the "what is it" forum and I have had responses such as: lava rock, hot rock, slag out of old boilers and furnices, and pumice. I might can see where it might have come from a steam boat (out of the boiler) it was found by the river, or out of a furnace possibly from an old blacksmith shop. My wife thinks its a meteorite and it certainly is an unknown object.

Coke from the old engines.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is undoubtedly not Kryptonite.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Thinking of burying a cache this spring. Maybe drop in in their and let the next sucker get excited! ;D Really thought it was a meteorite at first. :-\

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that you have a "hot rock". Is it magnetic? I know that alot of the meteorites are.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The first clue is obvious, it's really light for it's size. That usually means low mass. Low mass object that size will have burnt to dust before reaching the ground.

So does it ring iron and feel light? Slag. Does it ring foil and feel light? Coal, coke, hot rock, yuck!

Here's to the next one, may it be a piece of the Moon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread