A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!

The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.

Attachments

• seated mini dirt front.jpg
    seated mini dirt front.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,772
  • seated mini front.jpg
    seated mini front.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5,818
  • seate 3-09.jpg
    seate 3-09.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,664
Last edited:
Upvote 9

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

This truly IS a Banner find. Sounds like you got into a cache that was scattered by the plow.

Oh--and I guess you realize that you found the other half of your pre-war militia buckle!   :o  Does it match the other piece?  If so, can we see a photo of the two pieces interlocked together again for the first time in a century and a half?  Please?  Pretty please?   8)

I also think I see a name or some sort of markings scratched into the belt end of that part of the buckle. 

-Buckles

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I vote banner. You have one place that is awesome. I would have to change my pants if I found all of those in one hole. BANNER YES.....Matt

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm voting banner. :thumbsup:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Amazing. Nominated for banner... grats! :thumbsup: :tongue3: 8)

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

i dont know what to say! thats incredible. huge congrats. willy.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Can I go hunting with you?....please???? I'll pay for dinner! (he thinks I am kidding!)

Unreal finds Winslow...the type of spot we all dream about!

Mucho congradulationo

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800

Buckle boy I didn't really even think that this was the other other part. Thanks! Guess I was more focused on finding more coins. However it was about 15 ft from the first find. Here is the picture as requested... First time connected in 150 years! Wow!! :D

I'll have to clean it up a little better.

Attachments

• buckle complete.jpg
    buckle complete.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4,914

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

What a SCORE!! Most of us just dream of finding one seated half, and you found a whole roll of them in one swipe!!! Great job!

Ray

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome cache, congratulations! I can't imagine finding one seated half, much less seven altogether. That is truly the find of a lifetime. Maybe I missed something, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this cache took a couple of weeks to post. I'd be wanting to scream out the news to the world that same day! Maybe that's why it hasn't been elevated yet to banner status for "Today's Finds". The find itself is certainly banner worthy. Keep searching, you have to think there is more buried where this came from!

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX

One Seated half in 25 years...exciting :thumbsup:

Finding four more before the days done...PRICELESS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SUNNAMABEECH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

winslow said:
Buckle boy I didn't really even think that this was the other other part. Thanks! Guess I was more focused on finding more coins. However it was about 15 ft from the first find. Here is the picture as requested... First time connected in 150 years! Wow!! :D

I'll have to clean it up a little better.

Well...I guess the two pieces don't match exactly in terms of detail--but it still makes one Hell of a presentation piece.

By the way, if you're still finding pieces of brass that BIG in your site, it is FAR from worked out.

And this also means that you have a tongue from one buckle and the "wreath" piece to find from another at your site. So I'd say that's good news! :thumbsup:

-Buck

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.

What an absolutley amazing story. Just the buckle by itself is a lifetime find, but all that silver leaves me speechless. I found 2 seated halves last year, and I thought that was alot, but after seeing how many you have found on "Seated Hill" makes me drool. Way to go, and i'd be hunting that hill in all metal and dig every signal!.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been told there is silver buried next to a tree on this property i have been hunting,the only problem is there is a forest in the back yard.Your finds make me want to get after it full time.
Great job and keep after it.HH :wav:

barry61

Jun 18, 2008
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL

Unbelievable,I have one seated coin(dime) in about ten years of hunting.
Way to go, keep them coming.
Barry.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unbefreakinlievable man! Yeah I think you've got a serious cache buried around that area-

and at least you dont have to wonder where your going to go detecting for the next year or so

Theres a decent liklihood of there being a quantity of gold coins around the area as well so

continue to dig all - and thank the good lord continuously ! Argentium . BANNER !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread