Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody......

this weekend turned out to be a very special one, I finally after 9 years of detecting found my first Gold Coin :o it also turned out to be my oldest :o
a Celtic Gold Stater dating between 10-45BC :o :o to say that I am on cloud nine would be an understatement i just can not believe that I have finally
joined the Gold Coin Club :icon_sunny: the coin is a South Firriby type stater (thanks to Robfinds for the ID and Crusader for the date) the weekend
turned out to be very productive with some great Silver and Bronze finds and possibly another Gold find :o I will post these finds later on, any way
hearer's the pictures of the coin as it come out the ground I will post pictures later of the coin cleaned because it looks like it has some residue from
the field which has heavy concentrates of Iron :thumbsup: SS.

Attachments

• S&H 008.JPG
    S&H 008.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 5,275
  • S&H 010.JPG
    S&H 010.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 5,786
Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOW - Nice button :wink: :D

Now that is good English humor! Curious, does a lot of gold come up looking that color when close to iron? Yet to dig any gold coinage, have found one ring with that type of corrosion. Congrates!

It was an inside joke. Strangely we both found Celtic Gold & first thought 'wow nice gold button'. Split second thought but happened to us both.

The coin may have some iron residue but it varies from field to field. Iron if close to any metal will bleed/rust over it.
These coins also have a varying amount of copper to harden to coin, so its colour will reflect the amount of copper in it.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a truly great coin find ... you not only joined the gold coin club but the BC gold coin club ... there probably aren't many members in that club ... congratz on the banner as well ~ Jimmy

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
curbdiggercarl57 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOW - Nice button :wink: :D

Now that is good English humor! Curious, does a lot of gold come up looking that color when close to iron? Yet to dig any gold coinage, have found one ring with that type of corrosion. Congrates!

It was an inside joke. Strangely we both found Celtic Gold & first thought 'wow nice gold button'. Split second thought but happened to us both.

The coin may have some iron residue but it varies from field to field. Iron if close to any metal will bleed/rust over it.
These coins also have a varying amount of copper to harden to coin, so its colour will reflect the amount of copper in it.
There's a lot of Iron in this field, this is a Silver Coin belive it or not :o

Attachments

• csf 005.JPG
    csf 005.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,927

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
:o is that silver one as old as the gold?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Hi shaun,,,it's a Saxon Silver Sceat found about 10 yards from the Stater, it dates about 600-700AD :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Hi shaun,,,it's a Saxon Silver Sceat found about 10 yards from the Stater, it dates about 600-700AD :thumbsup:

i know crusader would give his right arm for that (if he didn't need it for detecting) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

i know crusader would give his right arm for that (if he didn't need it for detecting) :thumbsup:
So would I Michael found that one and the only outher one that came off there :'( still waiting for a Saxon Silver Sceat, had a base one (styca) infact 2 but no Silver one yet :P

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
You found a Coin dating Before Christ AND its gold!!! How much other than pricless to you is that actually worth

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Great coin !! I'm jealous of you English guys that have such history right in your own backyard. :icon_sunny:

I've went over there last year and had a great time. Celtic gold would be the ultimate find! The food was even good despite all the warnings from my friends.

I look forward to you future posts. happy Hunting!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Wow, WOW!

Fantastic Find! :thumbsup:

Are you going to have the coin professionally cleaned, or use some product like wood bleach (oxalic acid) to remove the rust staining? Or perhaps leave it as-is?

Nice work, SS.

-Buckles

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
You found a Coin dating Before Christ AND its gold!!! How much other than pricless to you is that actually worth
Hi TC.....it's worth about £175- £350.00, not a lot for a Gold coin of that age, but there has been quite a few of this kind found :'(think i'll just keep it and look at it every now and then :)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Wow, Wow, WOW!

Are you going to have the coin professionally cleaned, or use some product like wood bleach (oxalic acid) to remove the rust staining? Or perhaps leave it as-is?

Nice work, SS.

-Buckles
That's a new one on me BB :icon_study: got it soaking in Lemon juice at the moment :)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Wow, Wow, WOW!

Nice work, SS.

-Buckles
That's a new one on me BB :icon_study: got it soaking in Lemon juice at the moment :)

I'm looking forward to the cleaned pics!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Wow, Wow, WOW!

Nice work, SS.

-Buckles

That method should work just as well, and it'll be less risky too. :)

Again--BIG congratulations. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread