roma1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Re: Today's Find Roma Coin at Rev. War Site Virginia

Really cool find! Welcome to the forum, you're gonna love it here!

vicki

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Great find!! :o Looks like something from that period to me...Any other finds from that area?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE whatever it Is.

Welcome & Thanks For Sharing.

Jeff

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Just this. Not much.

Zeb

Attachments

• coindug.jpg
    coindug.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 322

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Not much?!? Thats a great old coin, if i remember correctly its british 1700's or 1800's.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zeb, could that first item be a lead wax seal ? As for the last pic I am fairly certain thats a King George 2nd Copper Half Penny. My friend and I both found one last Sunday at a Colonial Fort site. The Coppers with the bust looking left were from George 2nd, and George 3rd had his bust looking right. According to British Regal Coppers web site most of them here were counterfitted. Check out my post on Colonial Forts Sites in Missouri, it was just posted yesterday. Really nice find since they were made around the middle 1700's. I would be curious to know if you can read the date. I soaked mine in olive oil and can make out 17 but not the last two numbers.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It looks like the little round tags that were in an insert/recessed into the Roma cleaner bottles back in the 50s/60s??

That's my guess,

cool find,

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

lonewolfe said:
It looks like the little round tags that were in an insert/recessed into the Roma cleaner bottles back in the 50s/60s??

That's my guess,

cool find,

HH

Lonewolfe

I think you're on the right track. It's too thick to be what you said but it most likely was some sort of token or it was hand cut from the ad metal plate of some sort of "Roma" product. Items marked "Roma" are everything from dolls to crewing tobacco. It's most likely just one of those later dropped items we find mixed in with old stuff at old hunt sites. Oh well, it's still kind of neat.

Thanks

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

tsgman said:
Zeb,? could that first item be a lead wax seal ?? As for the last pic I am fairly certain thats a King George 2nd Copper Half Penny.? My friend? and I both found one last Sunday at a Colonial Fort site.? The Coppers with the bust looking left were from George 2nd, and George 3rd had his bust looking right. According to British Regal Coppers web site most of them here were counterfitted.? Check out my post on Colonial Forts Sites in Missouri, it was just posted yesterday. Really nice find since they were made around the middle 1700's. I would be curious to know if you can read the date.? I soaked mine in olive oil and can make out 17 but not the last two numbers.

Thanks for the info on the copper. Maybe it's a better find than I think. I can't read the date yet but I'll soak it in olive oil and then let you know if it ever shows up.

Zeb

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Ah the mystery......nice haul

GL & HH,

DugHoles

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lance in Vermont said they are very collectible and worth alot ? Just take care when cleaning it. I only let it soak and thats it. Good luck on the date.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

tsgman said:
Lance in Vermont said they are very collectible and worth alot ? Just take care when cleaning it.? I only let it soak and thats it. Good luck on the date.

Thanks.

I totally agree with your cleaning method. There's nothing more discouraging than to see a clear date and then after cleaning discover it disappeared (I've been there and done it). Another bad deal is to clean a coin down to some nasty odd color with acid. Personally, I hate those fake coin coloring/repatinating techniques (heat, Dellers, metal dyes, vinegar and salt, etc.). Just my own opinion.

Best only remove that which makes the coin flat out ugly and leave everything else. I sometimes use diamond dusted hand tools to clean out detail and smooth surfaces.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey 123, nice find. Welcome to the forum. TSGMAN is right, that is a King George II half penny and were minted from 1729 to 1754. Some of the counterfeit ones, particularly the ones of King George III, right after the Revolutionary war are valuable. A Machin's Mills (1786-1789) one in nice shape can be worth $300 or more. They are definately fund to find. Congrats...Lance

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

comfyinvermont said:
Hey 123, nice find.? Welcome to the forum.? TSGMAN is right, that is a King George II half penny and were minted from 1729 to 1754.? Some of the counterfeit ones, particularly the ones of King George III, right after the Revolutionary war are valuable.? A Machin's Mills (1786-1789) one in nice shape can be worth $300 or more.? They are definitely fund to find.? Congrats...Lance

I have a pile of old dug thin coppers that are obviously Brit in origin. Most dug in Virgina and south Carolina.

Question: How do you tell a Machin's Mills ?? I sold a couple dug coppers online and some said they were Mills and others said no. Personally I don't know these. I just bought a book on ebay titled "Provincial Copper Coins or Tokens" by Pye. I'm hoping it will help me ID some of my finds.

Zeb

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

one-two-three said:
Question: How do you tell a Machin's Mills ? I sold a couple dug coppers online and some said they were Mills and others said no. Personally I don't know these. I just bought a book on ebay titled "Provincial Copper Coins or Tokens" by Pye. I'm hoping it will help me ID some of my finds.

Zeb

Hey Zeb, tough question. First of all the King George III half pennies that are authentic are only dated 1770 through 1775, 1799 or 1806 and 1807. So if you find one with a date other than that you know that it is counterfeit. There are several ones that were made in the US that are collectable. The first ones were struck in New York City prior to 1786 and are usually dated 1771, 1772 and 1774-1776. The second group was also minted in NYC by John Bailey and Ephraim Brasher during the first half of 1787 and are dated 1787. The third group was struck at Machin's Mills during the second half of 1787 and into 1788 and are dated 1776, 1778, 1787 and 1788. There is another group attributed to Atlee and can be identified by a single outline in the crosses of Britannia's shield. (This information comes from The Standard Catalogue of English & UK Coins 1066 to date, and The Red Book of United States Coins) In the redbook there are some good pictures on page 54. I am attaching a picture of a Machin's Mill I found a few weeks ago. Unless you find one in good shape, you are probably not going to be able to tell if it is real or not. A real King George II dating from 1770 to 1775 is going to weigh between 9.2 and 10.8 grams. I hope this helps a little bit to answer your question. In general, if you are going to buy one, make sure you know the seller....Lance

Attachments

• August 05 large cents 085.jpg
    August 05 large cents 085.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 157
  • August 05 large cents 085.jpg
    August 05 large cents 085.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Zeb, tough question.? First of all the King George III half pennies that are authentic are only dated 1770 through 1775, 1799 or 1806 and 1807.? So if you find one with a date other than that you know that it is counterfeit.

Thanks much for all the info. I've always found this so confusing. I wish they just had a book with clear pictures of all the known US colonial copper counterfeits.

I get lots of these thin oldies and usually just sell them on ebay because I can't tell the difference. I usually get a great BIG "Thank You!" from the buyer so I know they're finding some good stuff.

I'm really not a collector of anything but I would like to know what my hard-earned finds are.

Zeb

Attachments

• colonialthins.jpg
    colonialthins.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 112

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread