Calif. Civil War Button Finds (Coins now attached)

R

rvbvetter

? Actually, I dug these buttons several months ago. First the flat one on the left. Then a week later, and 60 miles away. I dug the other two in the same hole. The hole in the one on the right, unfortunatly, is the result of my probe. I wanted to run out into traffic. Luckily the middle one came out next with no damage. The last two I found, were from a picnic grove that was on a 1890's map I have of the area. Also I have a couple of coins from there I'll post later. This is the same site I took Bergie to,when he came here from New York, and I dug the bank token that he posted about. And as if that isn't hard enough to beleive. The site is smack dab in the middle of a city of 300 thousand or more.?
The backs on the buttons say? ?HORSTMANN? ?PHILADA? and all three are the same. Front and back.? ? ? ? ?HH

? ?The lion button (turn of the century) I dug several feet away from the last 2 CW buttons. If you look close you can see his eyebrows and can make out the rest from there. The face has been pushed in. These are some of the coins from that site.1873 seated? 1916 barber? ?and the upper right black one is a merc. thats been in a fire an now is the diameter and thickness of a penny. Due to technical difficultys i don't have a pic of the backs or of the bank token found there? ?My apologys

Attachments

• buttonbacksMA11812749-0003.jpg
    buttonbacksMA11812749-0003.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 439
  • civilwarbuttonsMA11812749-0005.jpg
    civilwarbuttonsMA11812749-0005.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 435
  • lionoflucerneMA11886545-0003.jpg
    lionoflucerneMA11886545-0003.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 239
  • dimesMA11886545-0004.jpg
    dimesMA11886545-0004.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Calif. Civil War Button Finds

Great finds rv!!!

Nana ;)

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey RV, great pics. Those are real beauties. I still think the abbreviation on the one may make it more collectable. Got your email, thanks. I can't wait to find one myself. Take care and congrats...Lance

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RV, those are very cool. Nice going !

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real nice
your working on the set

F

Floater

Great Buttons RV. My new field book by Warmans identifys those as Union Buttons in General service. I,m a little confused by the Horstmann mark though. These were rare to find and mostly made in the Philadelphia plant for the Artillery group.They did make a staff button with Guilt but these are not them. Anyway great finds. HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds!

HH

Lonewolfe

P

pidjammies1

Coof find 8) let's go find some more. lol

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

RV, good going CW buttons are getting harder to find even here in Charleston S.C. But I keep hunting for them. trk5capt...

S

SASQUASH

I have found a Civil War tent cench in So. Cal. Do you think it could have been C.W. surplus on to the Amer. Ind. War. I found a buckel about 20ft. from it that sayed Pat. Dec. 18, 1879. This is in the Mnts, of Palm Springs I have both in the local Museum of the towen of ANZA. SAS <><

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Sasquash I really don't have a clue on these finds. Wish I could help. I don't think there was any C W action in calif. The best I've come up with, is that because Alcatraz (which I live near by) was originally used as a Confederate prisoner of war camp. Has to have something to do with it. But that's just a guess. I've never before or since, found or expected to find anything from the Civil War.
You might look for your finds on Ebay. It has helped me to Identify some of my finds. HH

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Hey, glad you posted that stuff--I feel lucky to have viewed it in person. That was a great lot. You could tell it was going to give up stuff with a huge old tree right in the middle of the lot and right in the middle of a busy city. You should check those areas on the other side of the train tracks too.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Those dimes are beautiful RV. What a great little collection you got going there!
Keep up the good work. Posting your finds keeps the rest of us hopeful!

Happy Hunting,

Moon

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I was looking at some seated dimes at a gun & antique show today. Your is MUCH MUCH bettter because you found it detecting.
Very nice. Congrats!
Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread