Colonial Button

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Everytime I go to post I think....um...I found this last night.....[that's right a little night hunting...work til 7 then hit the spot]........so why does the thing say today's finds...come on now none of you are really finding it the same day.......well maybe Jeff and JD and Lone Wolfe..............they are all ex-convicts anyway right....lol..lol

I should probably show all the junk that goes with the good stuff but a picture is a like a piece of art........I know my fingers are ugly but that makes the button prettier right....Taking a picture of the inside of my detecting bag would send you running for cover: every imaginable metal scrap known to man- plus clad coins, pull tabs, chunks of iron, foil,you name it plus about a pound of dirt thats probably doing wonders to the circuit box.

Anyway...detecting buddy Mark and I went back up to a road in Nazareth that had been shaved down to the old dirt. This time we went up the road.Imagine this a tree lying flat parallel to the road with old wood coating the dirt. They must have chopped it down and paved right over it.
Anyway...Mark got a couple coins that are sitting in olive oil and he got some buttons.
I got the nice button to the left. There is something about certain parts of relics that are so nice.....and for me it was the shank and button on this two piece colonial. Pardon the fingers. My guess is this is a coat button.
I can picture some shivering hard working person returning from a town meeting and this button is down to a thread. A little stumble stumble and off flies the button to be found 200 years later.

Attachments

• P1010122.JPG
    P1010122.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button dude, but,

what is this comment supposed to mean!?

come on now none of you are really finding it the same day.......well maybe Jeff and JD and Lone Wolfe..............they are all ex-convicts anyway right....lol..lol

I don't know about the other 2 guys but,

I've never been to prison myself

(although) at the same time,

I can't say that I haven't seen the inside of the "clinker" a few times back in my younger days for drinking & fighting & such! ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still Scratching My Head TOO LoneWolf ?? :D

Never Even Been Cuffed. (not Even By Me Girlfriends? :-[ )

? ? & as far as the LAW ??never BEEN CAUGHT? ;)

? NOW if he said REBEL .

BY THE WAY, Nice Button Johny.

? ? ? ? Jeff

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Its a known fact that the Civil War Regiments of Zouaves, also wore those buttons and refer to them as "Ball Buttons". ;)

Dave

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Cool button! I've dated a few gals who had bubble butt(on)s... oh, never mind!

As far as your other comment... I still enjoy THROWING a few rowdies in jail every now and again! Such is the life of a LEO!

Again, congrats!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice button I have the same exact one. It was found in p.a also at a old fort site. I was told the button dates to the 1820's-1830's. From a Rev war hunter I know. Mine moves around though on the inside. Were it was seamed must have came loose over the years. Funny thing though is it looks like it will come right out but it doesn't. Mine also has a back marking but to hard to tell the co.

Get back to that spot. It was a older area you were hunting.

Good Luck Jer

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Great find johny,but I need to agree with VA Dave, I have found several of these buttons, and I believe them to date closer to mid 1800's, however if you have some research that shows them to be earlier, please let me know. Mine were also found in early places. Thanks and congrats...Lance

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button,
I go behind the wall everyday and I will have to say that I have never seen anyone from this forum.
That is if they are posting real pictures of them and not some other Con....

F

Floater

Kermit said:
Nice button,
I go behind the wall everyday and I will have to say that I have never seen anyone from this forum.
That is if they are posting real pictures of them and not some other Con....

Gee you mean my disguise is working Kermit!! :D LOL

Cool Button JohnnyMC. HH

OP
OP
J

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
I know- guys.... and nana and fishlips................
I call everything before the civil war.. colonial and that's probably wrong........just haven't come up with the proper term.......
this button is from 1830-1850....and I guess could be a Zouve button.....
somebody else wiser than I suggested........................
I find em you define em.............hey that's pretty goood.....................too long for an e-mail moniker....
oh and I apologize to those wounded by the prison reference......................
using a metal detector is hard work......now I'll get the folks who actually were incarcerated: saying what the heck's that mean..............
well things are slow so anybody with cash to burn wants to lighten their pockets you know where to find me...
aloha
no I don't sell firearms,cigs, or fireworks..................................

www.theadventurelodge.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread