Its just a old nickel......

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
It's just a old nickel......

They just don't get it......I find an 1866 nickel and I'm all excited but when I share my treasure with a few others they don't share in my excitement....it's just an old nickel.
Anyway I got to detect an area where a house was bulldozed and a parking lot is going in. I found a little clad and this 1866 nickel that at the time I thought was some sort of token, wasn't expecting anything like this. In the back yard I found this button, looks like a capital letter "I" in the center, there's some writing on the back, after I let it soak a bit maybe I can read it. Sorry the pics aren't very good. If anyone can tell me more about the nickel and the button I'd love to hear it. Thanks. Dan

Attachments

• 1866.jpg
    1866.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 496
  • 5 cents.JPG
    5 cents.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 488
  • eagle button.JPG
    eagle button.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Re: It's just a old nickel......

1866?
I was just a kid when those came out! Right after the end of Civil War!
Many outside of the MD/TH field don't understand the thrill of finding something that has been "lost" for so long. Who did it belong to? How did it get lost? What was it used to buy?
I love the finds, but I love the story behind the finds even more.
Congratulations on a GREAT coin!
grizzly bare

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

killer coin for being in the ground what say 100 years or more very cool find cool button also...

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey Dan, Congrats on some fantastic finds. I still am looking for my first shield nickel, and I guarantee when I find one out here it will not be in as good a shape as yours. And as far as a Civil war infantry button, it would make my year. You have two fantastic finds. Don't let the turkeys get you down, soar with the eagles...Lance

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great digs, WTG!!!
I have never seen a nickle with the green patina on it,,, Mine always come out of the ground looking a redish rust color...
Nice looking coin... & button too..
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana

Jake, I was blown away to find anything from the civil war era at this location. I live in the southern tip of Indiana and was detecting in a yard where a house was bull dozed so the lot can be turned into a parking lot. The coin came from an area that would've been the front porch of where the house was (concrete was moved). Yesterday I found what I think is a musket ball not too far from where I found the coin. The button came from what was the back yard (not far away in distance) in an area that the top soil hadn't been scraped away yet. Finding the combination of the three makes me wonder how they got there and what was there before. If the weather holds and no more concrete gets poured I'll hit it again. Happy Hunting. Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread