Its just a old nickel......

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
It's just a old nickel......

They just don't get it......I find an 1866 nickel and I'm all excited but when I share my treasure with a few others they don't share in my excitement....it's just an old nickel.
Anyway I got to detect an area where a house was bulldozed and a parking lot is going in. I found a little clad and this 1866 nickel that at the time I thought was some sort of token, wasn't expecting anything like this. In the back yard I found this button, looks like a capital letter "I" in the center, there's some writing on the back, after I let it soak a bit maybe I can read it. Sorry the pics aren't very good. If anyone can tell me more about the nickel and the button I'd love to hear it. Thanks. Dan

Attachments

• 1866.jpg
    1866.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 496
  • 5 cents.JPG
    5 cents.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 488
  • eagle button.JPG
    eagle button.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: It's just a old nickel......

Wow that is awesome!! Hopefully I can find something like that tomorrow. Congrats, there's plenty of people here who will share in your excitement!!

HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Dan!!!!! :o

That's something to get excited about!!!!

Great finds today!!!

Nana ;)

Ady

Jul 24, 2005

They just dont understand the thrill of the find!!!!!

Great finds, hell were excited for you. ignore the rest :)

Ady

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Plus it's a shield nickel and 1866 I believe is the first year they made them. I have a holed '66, but its definately a key date. Your's looks to be in good shape, i see them on ebay for 10-15 in ag-3. Great coin!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Well it sure excites me. *****1866***** Wow! That's even older than me. It's a great find. It would have sure made my day to find it. COol!
Spotz

A

agbonanza

WOW!!!! What a great find....ignore the nay sayers...I'm sure they are just jealous! Best of luck, and keep on huntin'

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is not just another nickel. That's a 1866

ticotiger14

Jul 29, 2004

I think your button is a Civil war infantry button and that shield Nickel is a beauty. I would keep pounding that place until they carried me off on a stretcher. You don't dig shield nickels and Civil War buttons everyday.
HH, Tico

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

Nice finds MVswat -- Understand your pain -- I show my wife my finds and she could care less. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, Dan they just don't get it. We do! What a terrific find. I am so happy for you! ;D

Z

ZumbroKid

From what i can see of it, it looks to be in good condition. If you also compare it to a modern nickle you will see it is a little smaller too. As for finding it, i can telll you that digging that signal you are getting most if not all that there is to get in your hunt site. this is the lowest reading of the 5 cent nickles. Few hunters find the shield type. If others did not get excited it was due to they are not detector savy. Shaved down yards are one of the best types of hunt sites. Many older finds are otherwise too deep or masked by objects closer to the surface. Good job.

R

rvbvetter

That nickle is in great shape!! The button is what Ticotiger said. It's a general enlisted mens Infantry button (Union) from the civil war. Looks to have some of the gold guilt still on it.
Reason I know on the button, is that I've seen most of them, while trying to I D some I have.
On the back, should be the makers name or the buttons supplier. Probably it'll say Waterbury or Scoville. Great Finds!!! WTG!! HH

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA

You are right......If they would just pick up the detector and
go for a walk and find something themself...Then it wouldnt be just
a nickel...Great job on your finds...

Headhunter

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome Shield! ;)
But don't tell them to try detecting... reap the rewards there for yourself and go home a very happy man! ;)

I'm still diggin things up but not yet a shield nickel though. :P

Chris

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

Great finds and you brought them to the right place for praise and appreciation.Check the date on that five cent . If its doubled up it is even a greater find.....H.H> JO

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Hey MV! First of all, congrats on the most excellent find! Non-MDers don't get it and they never will because that's not they're "thing". My mother doesn't "get" antiques either! It's just old junk to her!

Anyway........You're sweet nickel could be worth up to 90.00 according to my coin book. I can't see the details of the front of the coin to see what grade it qualifies for. If the date has been repunched, it could be would up to $200. Way to go! And it's just a stupid nickel..............sheesh ::)

Happy Hunting,

Moon

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

We can appreciate the find! Very nice. I though it was going to be a worn V nickel... but no, it's a very nice shield nickel! Don't see those much on here. Way to go.

Bob

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana

Thanks everyone for sharing. I didn't know what I had until I posted my find (sorry for the large pics). Now I'm really stoked to know that I found the first US made nickel and a civil war button to boot. God Bless America! Happy Hunting. Dan

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Excellent finds there. Congrats

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread