Vacation yields SPANISH SILVER!!!!!!

R

robbuckalew

Went on vacation to North Carolina To visit the in-laws. I was at the beach and digging up modern stuff when I ran into this Older gentleman named Herb. We talked for a while and it seemed as if he took a liking to me because he asked me if I wanted to join him at his secret spot. I said sure, he looked as if he really needed some company, off we went.
We drove for about a half an hour when we finally stopped off this dirt road which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.
He told me it was about a quarter mile walk into the woods. At this point I wondered if he was going to murder me and eat my liver :wink:

When we got there I thought to myself "this old man is crazy." There was nothing around but trees but I started swinging.
Half an hour later, not getting one hit I get a quarter signal and it was deep. Nine inches later The shimmer of silver was looking at me. At first I thought cool a silver quarter but after inspection I realized that it was not a quarter, it was not even from the United States . It turns out to be an 1818 2 reale!!! My heart was jumping out of my chest. At that point a let out a loud "wooohooo" Herb came over to see what I had found. I showed him the coin and he said "nice job kid"and reached into his pocket and pulled out 3 more spanish silver all 2 reales. I couldn't believe my eyes. That is when he said he has pulled out about 60-65 spanish silver reales at this spot. And only one other person knows about this spot other than me and you. We parted ways after a few more hours of hunting.
That was the only significant thing I found on vacation other than a cool story and a good friend. We exchanged phone numbers and will be keeping in touch.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Upvote 0

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Nice story! If I would have seen some some wild onions growing in the area I might have thought hmmmm....Liver and Onions!

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

mcmurphi said:
Nice story! If I would have seen some some wild onions growing in the area I might have thought hmmmm....Liver and Onions!
:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched five hours of Serial Killer documentaries, so the beginning of your post got me a little nervous. But then I figured, "hey, he still around to write it!" Amazing act of kindness on his part, hope you get together again real soon. Hell, just move down there!

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Just watched five hours of Serial Killer documentaries, so the beginning of your post got me a little nervous. But then I figured, "hey, he still around to write it!" Amazing act of kindness on his part, hope you get together again real soon. Hell, just move down there!

We are actually thinking about moving down there :icon_king:

pteal

Sep 4, 2008
Albany, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Vision/White's Matrix M6/Minleab Excalibur
That's a beautiful coin! I can't wait to find my first reale.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
A lot of generosity in this hobby.....that's quite the new friend you made. Sounds like he has pounded the spot to death if he has pulled 60+ reales out of there and you guys weren't digging many targets. Nice coin! :thumbsup:

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,that was nice of that old man to share his spot with you! :thumbsup: I share my spots with a few friends. Plenty for all,I guess.I hve 3 spanish 2 reales,so far 1775,1782,and a no date. Not worth much,but cool finds! I love the history,behind them,which is worth more ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to share a honey hole is a kind offer indeed * -- next trip he eats your liver ----- thats how bi polar serial killers work :wink: sort of good guy / insane guy --which ones going to show up today --- today was a "good day" cuz he was on his meds and loving the world .

seriously older folks often "out live" their freinds --its a sad thing but it happens --and as a "detector nerd" it can be hard to meet folks who share our interest in the hobby --glad you made a "new" old freind

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't Detectoring great!! You find all sorts of things but especially new Friends. Great finds, Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

panthr

Apr 7, 2009
Great story and congrats on the silver! Yeah, I think at first I would be looking for fava beans and chianti among his possessions too. ;D

But seriously, the silver is great but finding a new friend is better :)

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know who you bump into when hunting...WTG on that Silver. This Hobby builds relationships that last a lifetime. Congrats

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
MAN YOU BETTER BE CAREFULL THESE DAYS/ LOTS OF CRAZY :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread