Vacation yields SPANISH SILVER!!!!!!

R

robbuckalew

Went on vacation to North Carolina To visit the in-laws. I was at the beach and digging up modern stuff when I ran into this Older gentleman named Herb. We talked for a while and it seemed as if he took a liking to me because he asked me if I wanted to join him at his secret spot. I said sure, he looked as if he really needed some company, off we went.
We drove for about a half an hour when we finally stopped off this dirt road which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.
He told me it was about a quarter mile walk into the woods. At this point I wondered if he was going to murder me and eat my liver :wink:

When we got there I thought to myself "this old man is crazy." There was nothing around but trees but I started swinging.
Half an hour later, not getting one hit I get a quarter signal and it was deep. Nine inches later The shimmer of silver was looking at me. At first I thought cool a silver quarter but after inspection I realized that it was not a quarter, it was not even from the United States . It turns out to be an 1818 2 reale!!! My heart was jumping out of my chest. At that point a let out a loud "wooohooo" Herb came over to see what I had found. I showed him the coin and he said "nice job kid"and reached into his pocket and pulled out 3 more spanish silver all 2 reales. I couldn't believe my eyes. That is when he said he has pulled out about 60-65 spanish silver reales at this spot. And only one other person knows about this spot other than me and you. We parted ways after a few more hours of hunting.
That was the only significant thing I found on vacation other than a cool story and a good friend. We exchanged phone numbers and will be keeping in touch.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

homer007 said:
MAN YOU BETTER BE CAREFULL THESE DAYS/ LOTS OF CRAZY :tard:
I thought that but I also thought "I can take him" lol ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob,
I'm in NC too, and you guys forgot to pick me up. ;D :tongue3:
That is a fantastic find making the vacation well worth it. Great job and it's a beauty too. :icon_king:
-MM-

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story! I think there is a good plot for a movie in there somewhere too!

Congrats!
Neil

alumaman

Greenie
Feb 20, 2009
i have to say all the fellow mdrs i have met while swinging have all been nice. but i do have a concealed weapons permit and i do carry

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very nice, & I know very little about them, but wasn't this minted in Mexico? Anyone?

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hobby. We are willing to risk life & limb for a hot spot. Great story, and what a great crazy old man.
This is the best hobby in the world. Congrats on that sweeet ole coin. Life is great!

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
ALL I CAN SAY IS,
GLAD YOU MADE IT BACK FROM THE KILLING FIELD - LOL :thumbsup:

GOOD LOOKIN "S I L V E R"

KEEPA DIGGIN
MLHUDSON

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok ---2 reales ---1818 -- lima , peru----- lima , peru mint mark of ME with J P* assayer's mark is right on.---- I forgot that they changed the lima .peru mint mark in 1772 from "LM" to "ME" --

the assayers names were Juan Martinez de Roxas / and / Pablo Cano Melgarejo

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

Heart is still pounding just looking at this thing.
Thanks for the mintage info I am learning alot about this coin.

Is there a grading system for these things? If so I am curious.

PA

Mar 18, 2009
hi sir,

very good spanish silver reale coin. i love finding them. my goal is to find over 200 spanish silver coins in my career. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I agree with mac 100% on that .--might very well be a cache or robbery story behind them--- compare yours with the the old timers coins -- to see if they all have common mint marks and dates -----if there is a a mixture of dates and mint marks--it could be a bunch of "local" money from a local robbery or cache --- however if the dates and mint marks are all alike it might have been a inbound "shipment" of "foreign" money lost or stolen.

now knowing what bit of history occurred there abouts in the 1818 time frame could be very useful -- internationally speaking ---the spanish were losing control of their dying overseas empire at the time -- by 1818 the spanish had long been driven out of north carolina but their money was still in common use.

I would look in on what was occuring locally in the area during say the 1818 to say 1825 era *

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
wow just went to nc obx on vacation didnt find nothing though. the beaches were sanded in tried finding some wooded areas but any good looking ones were posted. still i love the banks and could handle living ther for sure. awesome story and nice find. willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread