old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

every time i'm out for a walk with a detector, and get skunked, i swing by my favorite old house site, and try to pull out something non-ferrous before calling it a day. got this button earlier in the week with the SE w/ pro coil. read like a screw cap, but i dig everything at this site. haven't pulled a coin younger than 1809 from this site, so it may be safe to assume that this button is referring to GW himself. no backmark...

three of the large cents are from my general ramblings this week with detector in hand.

the shield nickel and the draped bust large cent were pleasant surprises. there's an old, iron-infested road grade that i've pounded with the dfx and the se w/ pro coil up to the point that there are no longer any non-ferrous signals to be found. last night i put a 5" coil on the se, and worked a 10'x40' section really slow for over an hour. this site has produced three or four fatty IH's, and nothing else, so i dig anything that even hints that it's non-ferrous. only got two decent signals amidst the iron. the first was the nickel, and it rang and registered on the cross-hairs as a nickel, but was only an inch deep, so i was thinking i was gonna be pulling up a recent jefferson. imagine my surprise to see a shield nickel emerge from the dirt. 1869, still in the grass roots, and on a well-drained hill, so very nicely preserved. sweet! half an hour later, and ten feet away, i got another non-ferrous signal that sounded more like aluminum slaw or deep lead, and was astounded to to see a large copper disc pop up out of the hole, only three inches deep. most LC's come out of the ground here in upstate NY pretty toasty, but this one is one of the least-porrous i've seen. figures that it would be totally worn out, heh heh. i've dug 50-or-so large cents in the last year-and-a-half, some pushing a foot in depth, and have been fairly certain of what i was digging every time. this is the first that caught me off-guard. strange what iron and a different coil will do...

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,189
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,081
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5,040
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5,034
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5,045
Upvote 4

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

Banner, but I still hate you! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer button and will clean up great if done PROPERLY. (But it's pretty darn good as is)

Banner!

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

iron patch, i like your CAPITALIZATION. (i know what you mean.) dwayne

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
iron patch, i like your CAPITALIZATION. (i know what you mean.) dwayne

There's probably gilt under all the letters and design but you have to slowly test it, because if there's not you will make it worse not better. Bringing out a little more gilt, and leaving a little green and that button will look awesome. But as good as it is I don't think you should be in a rush to do anything especially if you don't have years of experience (or enough confidence). Anyway, enough about that, did I say Banner. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

iron patch-

that button has seen nothing but the tiniest bit of water to rinse the dirt away. don't have ANY plans beyond that. if the button turns out to be worth anything, i will turn it over to the owners of the land where i found it, with recommendations on what to do with it. they have been very generous over the last two years, and i hope that if this piece turns out to be a collectors item, i can help them with their interests, as they have helped mine. thanks, dwayne

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030

Great find!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
iron patch-

that button has seen nothing but the tiniest bit of water to rinse the dirt away. don't have ANY plans beyond that. if the button turns out to be worth anything, i will turn it over to the owners of the land where i found it, with recommendations on what to do with it. they have been very generous over the last two years, and i hope that if this piece turns out to be a collectors item, i can help them with their interests, as they have helped mine. thanks, dwayne

I think you have a very good find, wish I could tell you more about rarity, or guess at the value, but it's something you really need to hear from an expert. We'll all be waiting to hear how it goes.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

13a-----Small wreath and copper. The one in Harold Cobb's Collection sold for $5,250 but it was in considerably better condition. I'm sure yours would bring at least 1/2 of that or $3,000 at auction. Congratulations and My Banner vote is in! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
13a-----Small wreath and copper. The one in Harold Cobb's Collection sold for $5,250 but it was in considerably better condition. I'm sure yours would bring at least 1/2 of that or $3,000 at auction. Congratulations and My Banner vote is in! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cobb's may not be that much better other than some surface pitting because of this one being dug. The one above looks like all the design and letters may be gilt under the corrosion. What I do think could be the difference is having all the big players at the Cobb auction when the other sold, and the fact it was part of his collection.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This belongs up top. :thumbsup:

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

That's a very special find. :o Congrats.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice! Looking at it carefully with the link that zaxfire has,it looks like number 13. The beginning of "LONG" and the end of the word "PRESIDENT" are much closer together than in number 14.

Congrats!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Congrats on your find. That is one that we all dream about for sure!!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

I resist the urge of overwhelming jealousy to say High Five and cogratulations, Wait for the right buyer if your gonna sell it.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are in detector heaven. All the sudden that other stuff you found looks like junk. Congratulations
on the find of a lifetime. This is the best hobby in the universe.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FRENCH Connection said:
I resist the urge of overwhelming jealousy to say High Five and cogratulations, Wait for the right buyer if your gonna sell it.

I just bought it for $250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions