old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

every time i'm out for a walk with a detector, and get skunked, i swing by my favorite old house site, and try to pull out something non-ferrous before calling it a day. got this button earlier in the week with the SE w/ pro coil. read like a screw cap, but i dig everything at this site. haven't pulled a coin younger than 1809 from this site, so it may be safe to assume that this button is referring to GW himself. no backmark...

three of the large cents are from my general ramblings this week with detector in hand.

the shield nickel and the draped bust large cent were pleasant surprises. there's an old, iron-infested road grade that i've pounded with the dfx and the se w/ pro coil up to the point that there are no longer any non-ferrous signals to be found. last night i put a 5" coil on the se, and worked a 10'x40' section really slow for over an hour. this site has produced three or four fatty IH's, and nothing else, so i dig anything that even hints that it's non-ferrous. only got two decent signals amidst the iron. the first was the nickel, and it rang and registered on the cross-hairs as a nickel, but was only an inch deep, so i was thinking i was gonna be pulling up a recent jefferson. imagine my surprise to see a shield nickel emerge from the dirt. 1869, still in the grass roots, and on a well-drained hill, so very nicely preserved. sweet! half an hour later, and ten feet away, i got another non-ferrous signal that sounded more like aluminum slaw or deep lead, and was astounded to to see a large copper disc pop up out of the hole, only three inches deep. most LC's come out of the ground here in upstate NY pretty toasty, but this one is one of the least-porrous i've seen. figures that it would be totally worn out, heh heh. i've dug 50-or-so large cents in the last year-and-a-half, some pushing a foot in depth, and have been fairly certain of what i was digging every time. this is the first that caught me off-guard. strange what iron and a different coil will do...

Attachments

• img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,189
  • img012.jpg
    img012.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5,081
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5,040
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5,034
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5,045
Upvote 4

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: old "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" button, could it be...

Congratulations on a great button find!!!! :thumbsup:

A while back a member of the South Jersey Metal Detecting Club found one, I have not compared it to yours side by side but I do know that my one contact who worked for two auction houses (Stacks and ANR) in previous years looked at this button and said they are not in demand as much by the top collectors anymore, since i believe he said there was a bunch found (non-dug) and that sort of killed the rarity for great conditioned ones. I no longer have his email do to a very recent computer crash but I am fairly certain I am remembering correctly. I just would not like to see you severely disappointed by those quoting high values when in fact it might be much lower, so it is better to under think value than over think, believe me, I know that for a fact and so do some others here who have gone the auction route..........(Dealing privately works out better in many cases).

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,56858.0.html

Don

OK, just read about your intentions of turning over to the property owner once you get proper information on it. BRAVO, a great payback that I am sure will be welcomed, but all the more to get a very realistic valuation, so they don't get overly excited and then somewhat disappointed.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Amazing find!!! Congrats on it and on making the banner! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

I take my hat off to you for giving it back to the property owners.

That's an amazing piece of history!

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

dwayne sueno said:
if the button turns out to be worth anything, i will turn it over to the owners of the land where i found it, with recommendations on what to do with it. they have been very generous over the last two years, and i hope that if this piece turns out to be a collectors item, i can help them with their interests, as they have helped mine

Highest possible praise from here, not for the button, but for YOUR attitude.

Yes the button is great, and I don't know enough to recommend banner but believe most of the folks who have keyed in on this one. Any find of 5K or so has to be a banner candidate.

But, your response above gets all the banners and stars that I can provide. Great, great, attitude and one that more of us should share! Thanks for representing our hobby in it's best possible light!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
Congratulations on a great button find!!!! :thumbsup:

A while back a member of the South Jersey Metal Detecting Club found one, I have not compared it to yours side by side but I do know that my one contact who worked for two auction houses (Stacks and ANR) in previous years looked at this button and said they are not in demand as much by the top collectors anymore, since i believe he said there was a bunch found (non-dug) and that sort of killed the rarity for great conditioned ones. I no longer have his email do to a very recent computer crash but I am fairly certain I am remembering correctly. I just would not like to see you severely disappointed by those quoting high values when in fact it might be much lower, so it is better to under think value than over think, believe me, I know that for a fact and so do some others here who have gone the auction route..........(Dealing privately works out better in many cases).

Maybe you should jump on Iron Patch's offer of $250, and run with it! :wink:

PA

Mar 18, 2009

hi dwayne sueno,

you sir found a find of a lifetime. i will find one this year. i can feel it. go get more now. :thumbsup:

henry

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

WOW!!!!

Great finds! That button is unbelievable!!!

Congrats! Banner for sure! :thumbsup:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats dwayne !! I can relate to the thrill of finding a GW inaugural :thumbsup:

Very noble to present such a rare find to the land owners , I'm sure they will be 'blown away!!'

I applaude & salute you !! :hello2: :icon_salut:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X

That looks awesome up on the banner!!!
I'd love to see what it looks like in real-life!!!
Kudos!! Great Job!!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

very cool

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

thanks for the love everyone.

i will shortly be making some display cases and mapping out my finds from the last year and a half from the house site where i found this button. so far i've pulled around 15 large cents, 6 or 7 infantry buttons from the war of 1812, and lots of tombacs and unmarked buttons, relics, etc. a dream metal detecting site, and now my standard for all other sites. hope to have the display done by the end of spring, and will present the display, with maps and an essay, to the owners of the property. will post my results in the "best finds" section when it's ready.

i may be a sham archeologist, but, alas, i can't help myself. HH, dwayne

PA

Mar 18, 2009

hi dwayne,

have you done research on the house site yet? you might be able to figure out more about the person living there during the time the old pennys and relics were being lost.

henry

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

henry,

i have done some research on the house site. i'm pretty sure i know the name of the fellow that lived there, and also believe he built the house i'm living in now. seemed to have been a fairly well-to-do fellow.

the family that owns the property thought that there had been an old house near where i found the site, but almost all the signs are gone now, unless one is really looking for them. a newer driveway bisects the area, and alot of the site soil has been plowed for the last two hundred years.

the good news is that the site is well-enough removed from modern interaction that there are almost no recent metal artifacts in the vicinity. a few bullets, but that's about it.

amazing that it is still producing... HH, dwayne

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic find.........I am still searching for mine! Been close but yet so far away............lolol WTG

PA

Mar 18, 2009

dwayne sueno said:
henry,

i have done some research on the house site. i'm pretty sure i know the name of the fellow that lived there, and also believe he built the house i'm living in now. seemed to have been a fairly well-to-do fellow.

the family that owns the property thought that there had been an old house near where i found the site, but almost all the signs are gone now, unless one is really looking for them. a newer driveway bisects the area, and alot of the site soil has been plowed for the last two hundred years.

the good news is that the site is well-enough removed from modern interaction that there are almost no recent metal artifacts in the vicinity. a few bullets, but that's about it.

amazing that it is still producing... HH, dwayne

hi dwayne,

from the research when was the fellers house built? i am talking about the one that is in the field now. im looking forward to the total finds picture from the site.

henry

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus

That is awesome...so is this website. Glad I found it.

LD

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

I FIND OF A LIFE TIME. CONGRATS. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions