Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Although I didn't cover much ground, I didn't come away empty handed. The brush on this slope is extremely thick, and swingin is slow. In 1868 the fort handed the land over to Washington Territory for us by the Washington Territorial Insane Asylum. Later the Asylum was re-named Western State Hospital. The hillside I was hunting has the foundation for the dormitory which housed the caretakers of the farm below. So finding stuff from this era is also cool. The button is stamped A.J Towers Company, Boston. With a little research I found an ad printed Sept. 30, 1899. Not the holy grail of buttons but neat all the same. I also managed a couple more .58 cal miniballs, and the usual clad and trash. I think that with a ton of patience, this hillside might hold the best stuff yet. All the good targets are 6 to 7 inches, so real easy to miss. Gonna give it another shot tommorrow. Thanks for lookin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Attachments

• ajtower sep. 30, 1899.jpg
    ajtower sep. 30, 1899.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCN0148.JPG
    DSCN0148.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0
OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldschool said:
good luck with this spot and keep us posted.
GL Randy
That hill sucks for movin around, but I aim to get what I can outta there.
JuJu

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything with History is a good find JU JU, I will have to make it over there again soon and walk the whole field nice and slow, what was the cross street on Mile road you were tellin me about in PO??

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vanoldschool said:
Anything with History is a good find JU JU, I will have to make it over there again soon and walk the whole field nice and slow, what was the cross street on Mile road you were tellin me about in PO??
It should be Retsil Road. The Red Dog tavern is in the corner.
JuJu

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
For sure keep us up to date

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ju Ju I dug one of those buttons down here in Natchez, Ms. Identical to yours.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat button, can't wait to see what else you dig out of that site.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
juju

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plehbah said:
The A.J. Tower buttons were in use for awhile, and actually the earliest A.J. Tower clothing that I am familiar with is as early as the 1860s.

I have one A.J. Tower button that I have ever found. It was at a stage station from the years of the Civil War and shortly thereafter, and I found it along with an 1860s eagle cuff button, a very crisp 1864 L IH penny, and some Henry and Spencer cartridge casings.

I am not sure on dating the variations of the button, but it could be earlier or later.
This button still had a little rotted fabric attached to the back when it was dug. I am hoping this means the whole garment might have been there at one time. If so there might be more buttons or the contents of the pockets..
JuJu

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice button, Juju!! To me it's as much fun finding out the history of an item like this as it is actually finding it. Hope you strike some silver next time out!

Ray

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Very cool find. Keep us posted on your finds from this spot. Looking forward to hearing more good finds!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions