on finding 6800 coins

Jayssan

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
Hi folks,

I decided to sit and finally figure out how many coins I've found since I began detecting in September of 2002. I always wrote my finds down, and finally put everything together, I thought it might be interesting to share in how it broke down.

4,941 pennies were found.
90 nickels were found.
1.019 dimes were found.
748 quarters were found.
3 fifty cent pieces were found.
3 dollar coins were found.

total dollar amount =$347.31

Of the coins,14 were silver, the oldest being a 1853 dime.
3 colonial pennies were found, as well as 1 old copper.
3 indian head pennies were found.

Wow, that's a lotta holes dug! Why arent I in better shape?

What it shows me is that first,I dig in heavy traffic areas and dont look for gold/rings etc enough,the nickel total points that out.

I'm also curious if the silver ratio is indeed this low...works out to about 2 silver coins per 1,000 dug coins.

All in all? It's been worth every moment out there.....hope you folks enjoyed the breakdown.!

Jay

http://metaldetectingfool.bravehost.com

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jayssan

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Tesoro Conquistador umax.........bought it new for just about $400.00 with the accessories, so I've just about broken even at this point!

Jay

R

rvbvetter

WHEW!!! That is a lot. I've been doing it since the 70's, and I don't think I've dug that many coins. And you have some nice ones in there too. WTG!! HH

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I keep track also so I think it's neat that you do. I've been detecting since august of 2005. I don't have the info in front of me right now beause I'm online this time of morning beacuase I'm having insomnia attack, but I know I'm in the 300 coin rnage. No silver coins yet. Nothing of face value more than a quarter either, but I'm hoping (plus I haven't hunted old sites yet), but I did win a 64 Kenndy half for 2nd prive in our MD club's club hunt in September

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hey Jayssan, I admire your record keeping. I started doing that and then found that by the end of a metal detecting day and cleaning all the finds, I didn't feel like journaling my finds also. Do you know how many pop tops you dug also? I bet that one is high also. Congrats on some wonderful finds....Lance

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
That's one impressive number!
During the (most) recent hurricane, I had cabin fever and decided to fool around with my collection of found coins. I wasn't as thorough as you, but I did determine that I'd found about $66 worth since the middle of February of this year (when I started detecting). I did manage to separate the coins into bags by denomination, so perhaps I'll record the numbers of coins by type somewhere at the end of my first year of detecting. There were ALOT of pennies and so far, I've only found two silver coins.
But, the year ain't over yet!
Ruth

K

Kentucky Kache

I just throw everything Into an old jar, unless It's something really good. Good Items go Into my little wooden box.

OP
OP
J

Jayssan

Greenie
Oct 9, 2005
comfyinvermont said:
.? Do you know how many pop tops you dug also?? I bet that one is high also.? Congrats on some wonderful finds....Lance

I cant even imagine how many holes Ive dug that contained tabs,caps, etc..can you imagine if we tabulated every hole we'd ever dug?

Digging to China might not be a myth!

Jay

http://metaldetectingfool.bravehost.com

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What it shows me is that first,I dig in heavy traffic areas and dont look for gold/rings etc enough,the nickel total points that out.

"Exactly"

I'm also curious if the silver ratio is indeed this low...works out to about 2 silver coins per 1,000 dug coins.

Sounds about right to me for the ratio of silver VS clad/etc. in this day & age.

Good job though!

HH

Lonewolfe

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
First off you have found some very nice coins. 6800 is impressive. My son(15) and I have been doing the TH for a couple years and we have somewhere around 3000 coins. About 30 silver and aprox 300 wheats. So our ratio is about 100 coins for a silver. This ratio was probably more like yours until just the last few months. Reason - we have been really only hunting "old" places and rarely do the clad thing(newer elementary school playgrounds). Yes, we find less coins but usually a little better quality.
These last few days we lined up some older homes. We dug about 180 coins with 3 silvers and 18 wheats. Ratio was 60 to 1. Wish it was always like that. ;D

What seems to be a more consistent ratio is the wheats per silver. This seems to be about 10 to 1.

Thanks for sharing your numbers. I'll do the same this winter when I can't get out THing. :'(

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread