My first gold ring!!!! w00t!!! Any idea on cleaning?

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
atfer a crappy start to the season i was finally able to get some swinging in. I was digging in the lot beside my house but it was very grown up. After finding a few pennies i had to go in and get a drink. My friend informed me they had bulldozed the next lot. I headed straight there lol. 30 minutes and 3 pennies later i found my first gold ring. It is just a gold filled ring but gold nonetheless.

So it has a buildup on it like a corrosion. I can brush it off and the gold shines nicely. My question is whats the best thing to do to get the corrosion off without damaging the ring? We live in a small town and i think I can find the owner once i can see the detail and get the info off of it.

Here are some pics. Sorry taken with a camera phone.

ring3.jpg

ring4.jpg

ring1.jpg

ring.jpg

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice gold ring. I'd be happy with that find :icon_sunny: When you refer to cleaning, do you mean cleaning the gold or just cleaning out the cracks, etc?? I'd use a fine toothbrush and a little soapy solution. That should do the trick :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
No this is like a hard rust type corrosion. Its almost like the ring is incased in it but once i rub the "rust" off with steel wool the ring is perfect. Wish i could get a better picture. I just dont want to drub it anymore with the steel. figure maybe peroxide?

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Nice find, but I would not steelwool it or peroxide it. Might screw it up. Keep goin, you'll get the real one next! Congrats on your first ring! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
thanks everyone. It is size 7 and weighs 4.5 grams. I really got to figure out a safe way to clean the corrosion off so i can get the details out and try to find the owner. I may take it by the pawn shop and see if they know how to clean it lol

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude go to walmart buy some jewelry cleaner in the jewelry department. Put it in there. Take the brush that comes with it scrub it. There one clean ring. Gold should clean up rather easy.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

It's about time you got some professional help. Corrosion is not something that can be taken care of very easy. The metal itself has gone bad so not much you can do but.... I recommend making an Electrolysis System and using that. Be careful with costum jewelry like you have cause if the stone is glued in it will pop off from the Electrolysis. This should break down the corrosion and make it look a little better. It may also chip off the gold plate but I'm not sure. Make sure you don't cook it to long check it offten if you do it. Electrolysis is your best bet for the Corrosion I just don't know what it will do to Costum jewelry. Oh well, here is a link http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm to make a system its fun and easy for the whole family. Kids please ask your parents or guardian first !!

Keep @ It and HH!!

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Thanks MUD, I printed that off and am getting the supplies together planon doing it tommorow. Its exciting. First i get to find it. then build a machine to clean it. then get to do the search for the owner. This is an awesome hobby!!!!

-K

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Gold is always GREAT! A little soap and a toothbrush should do the trick!!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WTG on your first gold! Keep em coming.....MUD won't steer you wrong with the cleaning process. Good luck!

HH,
Moon

P

Pentico

Congrats on a sweet ring!
Good luck with the cleaning.
Post some more pictures when you get er done!

Denver

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
It says filled but the spot before that is corroded heavily and i cant tell. i am figuring it just says gold filled. Im going to get the alligator clips in a little bit so i can do the electrolisis then i will know for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread